Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon today has Apple's 512GB M1 MacBook Air for $1,049.99, down from $1,249.99. Only the Space Gray colorway is on sale today, and it's shipped and sold directly from Amazon.

macbook-air-m1-unboxing-feature.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with some of these vendors. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Apple introduced the M1 MacBook Air one year ago this month. Amazon's discount today is the lowest price we've tracked to date on the 512GB model, and we aren't currently seeing any matching discounts from other retailers.

You can find even more discounts on other MacBooks by visiting our Best Deals guide for MacBook Pro and MacBook Air. In this guide we track the steepest discounts for the newest MacBook models every week, so be sure to bookmark it and check back often if you're shopping for a new Apple notebook.

Update: The MacBook Air deal has expired.

Article Link: Deals: Get Apple's 512GB M1 MacBook Air for New Low Price of $1,049.99 ($199 Off) [Update: Expired]

Last edited:

CausticSoda

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2014
Abu Dhabi
This is super tempting. How does the Air handle being connected to a 4K monitor?

Edit: Only 8GB of RAM. Never mind.
Both of your comments suggest you don't know much about the M1. I don't know what you intend to use it for, but you probably should be "super tempted." Spend 30 minutes looking at some reviews, most of which cover what you appear to be asking, and don't think 8 Gb RAM can be compared like with like across different platforms.

LoveTo

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2021
Well, i think this generation is best because next will be colored plastics
Yeah, the outer shell doesn’t matter. I actually would like the white bezels and keyboard, since it would come with color options for the body. Black is even better. But mainly need it for Apple Silicon.

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
Not bad. Would a nice upgrade for my wife who is on an older Air, but hers has Magsafe 2, and might as well skip over all the MBAs that didn't have Magsafe and wait for an updated one that does.

BFskinnerPunk

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2007
I'm using this Mac right now, the RAM is never an issue. I have a lot of Office Apps open along with many browser Tabs...not a hint of lag ever.

I prefer USB-C to the magsafe... too many charger types drives me nuts. I suppose that the new magsafe Macs also allow USB-C charging?

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
Both of your comments suggest you don't know much about the M1. I don't know what you intend to use it for, but you probably should be "super tempted." Spend 30 minutes looking at some reviews, most of which cover what you appear to be asking, and don't think 8 Gb RAM can be compared like with like across different platforms.
Whoa. A little judgmental, aren't you? I'm a student and several applications that I use for school function better with 16GB of RAM in comparison to 8GB. I'm very familiar with the M1's capability, but the Air's lack of fans does concern me in regards to longevity since it would be connected to a 4K monitor most of the time. I know the Air does well when it is connected to a 4K monitor, but I want to know how it does in the longterm.

Anyway. I do not need to explain myself.

bradman83

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
I suppose that the new magsafe Macs also allow USB-C charging?
Yes you can continue to charge the new MacBook Pros via either MagSafe or USB-C/Thunderbolt. The only restriction is that USB-C doesn’t yet support the wattage to fast-charge the 16” Pro, but it can fast charge the 14” Pro’s smaller battery.

bradman83

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
Unified Memory on M-series Macs means that RAM is faster, especially when the CPU and GPU are working on the same data, but it’s not magically somehow more efficient from a capacity perspective. 8GB on an M1 Mac will function just like 8GB on an Intel Mac when using apps that require lots of RAM. The biggest difference is the faster SSD write speeds of the M1 Pro and Max means paging won’t cause the same performance hit as before.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Whoa. A little judgmental, aren't you? I'm a student and several applications that I use for school function better with 16GB of RAM in comparison to 8GB. I'm very familiar with the M1's capability, but the Air's lack of fans does concern me in regards to longevity since it would be connected to a 4K monitor most of the time. I know the Air does well when it is connected to a 4K monitor, but I want to know how it does in the longterm.

Anyway. I do not need to explain myself.
As a lightroom user the 8gb ram does concern me a little. I know the way M1 handles memory is better, but my preference would be for a little more memory. Just annoying that the upper tiered MBA only has extra SDD capacity. I know I can BTO one with the spec I need, but it means I can't get a discount from anywhere and I'm forced to get it from Apple. (o.k. I can get 6% off via my employer - but still a black friday deal will most likely be better). Interesting to note most M1 products in the refurb channel are with 8gb (certainly UK anyway).

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
The Air's lack of fans does concern me in regards to longevity since it would be connected to a 4K monitor most of the time. I know the Air does well when it is connected to a 4K monitor, but I want to know how it does in the longterm.

None of us have time machines and so cannot tell you 'long-term', but they barely run warm for most tasks. Plus they're far less likely to suffer from dust and pet hair ingress as a result of not having a fan that sucks in cool air from the outside, so actually the components could last longer. There are very easy and quick mods you can do, such as putting a little thermal pad over the board, which one YouTuber showed cut temps by a few degrees but it's not necessary at all.

You're overthinking it, I think. It's an incredible machine and you'd already know if you needed an M1 Pro/Max.

newbmacuser2021

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2021
Random thoughts on pricing

Deprecated

iPhone SE 2016 - 16GB - $129

Working

iPhone 7 - 32GB - $229

Modern

iPhone SE 2016 - 64GB - $279
iPhone 8 - 64GB - $349
iPhone X - 64GB - $379
iPhone SE 2020 - 64GB - $399
iPhone XR - 64GB - $429
iPhone 11 - 64GB - $499

To be honest, a 64GB iPhone SE 2016 (4”) is worth $299 brand new.

It runs iOS 15, it’s faster than iPhone 6s, it has 64GB.

And you say, well the iPhone SE 2020 is $399.

Is it?

Last edited:

speedyraf

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2007
The 2020 MacBook Air (a tempting deal) is a good laptop in many ways and fits my usage profile. I like that model but Magsafe kept my current laptop on the table rather than the floor a number of times. Magsafe in some form along with one USB-A port (many of my current external devices still use it) with the USB-C ports on next year's rumored redesigned MacBook Air would be nice.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Pretty sure the colored 24 inch iMac isn’t plastic.
Neither are the colored iPhones.
Or the colored iPad Airs.
Or the colored Apple watches.
Or the colored AirPods Max.
Or even the colored iPod touches.
All aluminum and glass, just like the current MacBook Air.
But go ahead and Believe that Apple will switch to plastic, material they haven’t used and their laptops Main shell since 2010.

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
The colored plastics shouldn't be anything to worry about... however... I've read it will come with something in the middle of the top edge, which can affect functionality if apps are not updated to support such somethings without breaking the menu bar.

• Haha
Reactions: amartinez1660

newbmacuser2021

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2021
I think the issue with Amazon is “new” vs “renewed”.

An iPhone 7 128GB is worth $449 brand new. $499? Brand new in the box. A brand new iPhone with 128GB of storage. Plus charger, lightning cable and EarPods. Wow. Merry Christmas!

iPhone 7 128GB renewed is worth… $279? Does the battery work? Does the phone have scratches? Does it have a charger? Does it work?

This is why previous model pricing, the same for Macs, is so wild.

Is this M1 512GB “new”? Is it sealed? Is it open box? Did someone use it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.