MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon and B&H Photo are discounting the 512GB MacBook Air from 2020 this week, returning the notebook to its lowest ever price. At both retailers you'll find the 13-inch MacBook Air (Gold, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD) for $1,199.00, down from $1,299.00.

macbookairdesign.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with these vendors. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

On Amazon, the fastest shipping option will get the notebook in by Sunday, May 10, and Prime members can opt for the typical free two-day shipping. On B&H Photo, free expedited shipping is available and the MacBook Air is predicted to arrive within one to three business days, depending on your location.

Apple updated the MacBook Air line in March 2020 with a boost to internal storage options, 10th generation Intel processors, and a new scissor-switch keyboard. Overall, the MacBook Air has a 13-inch Retina display, slim bezels, Touch ID, and Thunderbolt 3 ports.

You can find even more discounts on other MacBooks by visiting our Best Deals guide for MacBook Pro and MacBook Air. In this guide we track the steepest discounts for the newest MacBook models every week, so be sure to bookmark it and check back often if you're shopping for a new Apple notebook.

Article Link: Deals: Get the New 512GB MacBook Air for $1,199 ($100 Off, Lowest Price)

calzon65

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
Post COVID-19, there are going to be amazing deals on many products and services, but unless you are independently wealthy, most people will be financially decimated by the pandemic and can't take advantage.

Reactions: Oblivious.Robot
Comment

Cancelled
Nov 3, 2018
Price drops are great, but since we can't upgrade the RAM ever, what's the point in buying an 8GB laptop in 2020?
Especially, when 1.5GB is shared with vide memory. I ordered my 16GB machine from apple, but it won't ship for the next 2-3weeks.

Comment

HappyIntro

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2016
Post COVID-19, there are going to be amazing deals on many products and services, but unless you are independently wealthy, most people will be financially decimated by the pandemic and can't take advantage.

Not to make a big deal about this, but most people are not now nor will they be financially decimated. Spreading this type of misinformation helps no one. It's theoretically possible that we are a few months away from the second Great Depression, however to me that seems very unlikely.

Comment

nvmls

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2011
Best heater in the market.
[automerge]1588789803[/automerge]
Price drops are great, but since we can't upgrade the RAM ever, what's the point in buying an 8GB laptop in 2020?

The soldered RAM is child's play compared to its "thermals".

Comment

deeddawg

macrumors G4
Jun 14, 2010
US
Not wasting money on an unnecessary upgrade?

8GB is going to be perfectly fine for most folks for several years, particularly those whose needs are well served by the Air's low power CPU.

Comment

UmichAg

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
I'm hoping there will be some speed tests comparing this versus the new 13" MBP

Comment

deeddawg

macrumors G4
Jun 14, 2010
US
Best heater in the market.

What's the temp of the topcase and bottom case of yours right now?

Mine's 87F on the bottom and 88F on top at the 6-F6-7 junction. For the stuff I do it stays cool and quiet, only becoming slightly when I'm exporting some photos or building a bunch of previews, then it's silent again in a few seconds.

Comment

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2019
OR, if you're not averse to Windows or Linux, buy the new Dell XPS 13. It embarrasses the MBA in almost every category (not trackpads, of course).

Apple... c'mon, Man.

Dell? DELL is taking you to school?!?! On design AND performance?!?!?!

Alas, MacOS is (almost) irreplaceable, but for the first time since I can remember I'm on the outside of PC-land looking IN...

Then again, those iPad Pros tho.

Comment

Bug-Creator

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2011
Germany
Well, I wonder why all these deals all of sudden?

Whats sudden about it?

Similar "deals" having been normal for years, sometimes even better and pretty much always better for not just released models.

What is new is that everyone is now reported as "news".

Reactions: deeddawg
Comment

deeddawg

macrumors G4
Jun 14, 2010
US
OR, if you're not averse to Windows or Linux, buy the new Dell XPS 13. It embarrasses the MBA in almost every category (not trackpads, of course).

Apple... c'mon, Man.

Dell? DELL is taking you to school?!?! On design AND performance?!?!?!

Alas, MacOS is (almost) irreplaceable, but for the first time since I can remember I'm on the outside of PC-land looking IN...

Then again, those iPad Pros tho.

While I've not spent the time looking at that video, I'm guessing it's another one of those xyz has better price/performance than Apple comparisons we see every time there's a new model?

I honestly don't recall was the last time Apple was leading in price/performance relative to Windows systems?

Comment

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2019
While I've not spent the time looking at that video, I'm guessing it's another one of those xyz has better price/performance than Apple comparisons we see every time there's a new model?

I honestly don't recall was the last time Apple was leading in price/performance relative to Windows systems?
It is, but not unreasonably.

And to be fair, the stuff we love Apple for is all there (well, maybe except Catalina ;) ): the ecosystem, the banging trackpad, the OS, the build quality, the trackpad...

Honestly, for me, as much as I like the XPS hardware, the MBA is no contest my choice.

Reactions: deeddawg
Comment

deeddawg

macrumors G4
Jun 14, 2010
US
It is, but not unreasonably.

And to be fair, the stuff we love Apple for is all there (well, maybe except Catalina ;) ): the ecosystem, the banging trackpad, the OS, the build quality, the trackpad...

Honestly, for me, as much as I like the XPS hardware, the MBA is no contest my choice.

Funny you don't mention keyboard... LOL

Just kidding. Keyboard on the 2020 MBA is very nice. Big improvment IMHO. Still not quite a Thinkpad keyboard but very nice. (work issued computer is lenovo, macs for my personal stuff)

Reactions: Darth Tulhu
Comment

wetcanvas

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2014
Meh 100 dollars off it basically covers taxes for the machine for the most part. I miss when bh was tax free.

Comment

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
That sale is only for the gold colored laptops probably the most least favorite and they got a lot left.

Comment

calzon65

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
Not to make a big deal about this, but most people are not now nor will they be financially decimated. Spreading this type of misinformation helps no one. It's theoretically possible that we are a few months away from the second Great Depression, however to me that seems very unlikely.

My fault to use the word most (a majority) instead of many (a lot), but the financial damage is significant for tens of millions of Americans with well over 30 million Americans now unemployed. Today's Bloomberg story (Gloom grips US small businesses, with 52% predicting failure) is just the tip of the iceberg. The fallout from COVID-19 is going to be devastating for many, not just financially but also emotionally.

Comment

calzon65

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
Decimated means reduced by 10%, as in decimal ;)

Thank you and correctly stated as to the origin of Decimated, however, language continues to change over time and Decimate has evolved over hundreds of years from its origins.

To quote from Brian Wasko in a 2013 article from The Write At Home Blog - “Thousands of words have come to mean something other than what they meant originally. Why is it so important that decimate retain its original meaning when so many common words no longer do? Do you only use the word incredible to mean “without credibility” or “unable to be believed”? The word nice originally meant “foolish, stupid, or senseless.” No one insists on preserving that definition. And awful, once meaning “full of or inspiring awe” now means something almost completely opposite.”

Decimate (verb)

Modern Day Usage
1. kill, destroy, or remove a large percentage or part of.
"the project would decimate the fragile wetland wilderness"
"the American chestnut, a species decimated by blight"

2. drastically reduce the strength or effectiveness of (something).
"plant viruses that can decimate yields"

Origins
Late Middle English: from Latin decimat- ‘taken as a tenth’, from the verb decimare, from decimus ‘tenth’. In Middle English the term decimation denoted the levying of a tithe, and later the tax imposed by Cromwell on the Royalists (1655). Latin decimātus, past participle of decimāre “to punish every tenth man chosen by lot,” verbal derivative of decimus “tenth,” derivative of decem ten;

Usage Note for Decimate
The earliest English sense of decimate is “to select by lot and execute every tenth soldier of (a unit).” The extended sense as used today “destroy a great number or proportion of” developed in the 19th century: Cholera decimated the urban population. Because the etymological sense of one-tenth remains to some extent, decimate is not ordinarily used with exact fractions or percentages: Drought has destroyed (not decimated) nearly 80 percent of the cattle.

Last edited:
Comment

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK

Many people will have their lives even more decimated when their jobs no longer exist. It's going to be a very challenging next few years.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.