Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Target has a few Apple-related deals going on today only, headlined by a $20 markdown on the HomePod mini. You can get the smart speaker for just $79.99, down from $99.99.

homepod-mini-blue-holiday-2.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with some of these vendors. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

This sale is available in Space Gray and White as of writing, with options to pick up the speaker in your local store or ship it to your home. Target RedCard owners can save an additional 5 percent on the HomePod mini.

This is beating the best Black Friday deal we tracked on HomePod mini at B&H Photo and Staples by about $10. It's matching Costco's deal from last month, but given that a Costco membership was required for that deal, Target's sale today will be available to far more people.

Secondly, Target is offering 20 percent off select MagSafe accessories for one day only. You can get the MagSafe Charger for $31.99, down from $39.99 (matched at Amazon), the MagSafe Battery Pack for $79.99, down from $99.99 (matched at Amazon), and a wide assortment of Clear, Leather, and Silicone iPhone 12 and iPhone 13 cases.

We track the best deals on HomePod every week, so be sure to bookmark our guide if you're on the hunt for solid HomePod discounts.

Article Link: Deals: HomePod Mini on Sale for $79.99 at Target ($20 Off)

Reactions: ikir

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
I think Apple should bump it's price down to $79 permanently.
Sales aside, why not buy an Amazon Echo at half the price. It can even play Apple Music. Unless you must have Apple branded stuff and love Siri.
Personally, I don't like the set-up and troubleshooting process with the Echo devices. They've seemed fiddly to me, and the ones we've had didn't have great sound on them.

Also, really glad I held off on these for a little bit! If you buy enough of them, it's like getting one for free...

But also, I agree. $99 is a lot for these devices.

InnocenceMyth

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Sales aside, why not buy an Amazon Echo at half the price. It can even play Apple Music. Unless you must have Apple branded stuff and love Siri.
I have a set of the current Echos in my bedroom and a set of the HomePod minis in my living room. I think both of them sound great as stereo pairs and all things being equal I probably would go all Echo because of the price (I know the Echo is the same price as the mini but it's been on sale for months now for $40 off).

But the problem is this - today I wake up and say "Alexa, what's the weather?" I get a weather report...followed by "did you know I could help you find great gift ideas for this holiday season?" I get stuff like this about every third or fourth time I interact with Alexa. I only know I'm safe from it if I ask to turn a light on or off. She never gets talkative then.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I have a set of the current Echos in my bedroom and a set of the HomePod minis in my living room. I think both of them sound great as stereo pairs and all things being equal I probably would go all Echo because of the price (I know the Echo is the same price as the mini but it's been on sale for months now for $40 off).

But the problem is this - today I wake up and say "Alexa, what's the weather?" I get a weather report...followed by "did you know I could help you find great gift ideas for this holiday season?" I get stuff like this about every third or fourth time I interact with Alexa. I only know I'm safe from it if I ask to turn a light on or off. She never gets talkative then.

Actually, that's a good point. Privacy is a concern I'd have with Amazon. The amount of tracking based on my searches is rather intrusive.

I wouldn't be surprised if Alexa one day starts to badger customers on what they might still have sitting in their Amazon cart.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
If I have a Sonos One, is this worth getting? Or maybe a pair of these instead?
No, unless you want Siri. I also have a Sonos One. Sonos One is more full sounding. Get another Sonos One for a stereo pair instead of HomePod Mini (again unless you want Siri or a thread border router)

Just ordered 2 white HomePods.

Freeangel1

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2020
I would LOVE to pickup another full sized HomePod. for a pair of speakers.

I bought just 1 when they were as cheap as $100 to $125.

Wish I could buy another at that price.

The Design looks real cool with my 2013 Trash Can Mac Pro.

anson42

Contributor
Mar 13, 2014
Oakland, CA
I would LOVE to pickup another full sized HomePod. for a pair of speakers.
Good luck. Both new and used prices on the aftermarket are ridiculous. I was totally wrong thinking I would be able to get one at clearance prices. I just pulled the trigger on this HomePod mini deal to have one in the garage.

coachgq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
I replaced my homepod stereo pair with 2 of these. Made about $400 cash in the process, but gave up quite a bit of sound. I'd like to see them allow these to be a multi speaker set up, 4 or 6 in a room would be neat hooked up to apple tv.

Scotticus

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2021

Because you don't want Lex Luthor with a listening device in your home? Say what you will about Apple - they're far from perfect in many ways - but Jeff Bezos is straight up evil, and so is Amazon.

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
If I have a Sonos One, is this worth getting? Or maybe a pair of these instead?
Since the Sonos One is an Airplay 2 speaker, you could tell the HomePod Mini to play something on the Sonos. If you get multiple Sonos speakers, you can group them with the HomePod Mini in the Home App and then they will all play in sync. Or, you could just use Alexa or Google on the Sonos One to basically do the same thing. The HomePod Mini would just give you a few more options, but the Sonos One does sound better, and sounds great if your pair two together in stereo.

Machead2012

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2011
I cant understand the appeal of this product. The original was bad enough but the limitations and the sound quality is awful. Apple knows it too. DUD!

sw1tcher

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
AirPods 2nd gen on sale at Amazon for $89.99

The downside?

FREE delivery: Jan 5 - 15
Fastest delivery: Dec 30 - Jan 7
Usually ships within 2 to 4 weeks.

Stick an IOU into an envelope with Christmas card if it's for a Christmas present? ?‍♂️

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003

Yes, this is my same concern. Alexa has started constantly telling me stuff I don't want to know. I feel like it's just a matter of time before I starting get, "By the way..." did you know that Amazon has special deals today? I'd like to switch to Apple before that starts happening

oldMacGenius

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2018
San Francisco, CA
I’d buy one, but our local Target stores have become a poorly managed disappointment with their daily 9-6 PM operating hours and aggressive security guards treating everyone like criminals; suspicious of all who enter… hard pass.

Shipping one from Target is a no-go as it’ll be stolen off my porch before my phone sends me a push notification informing of delivery.

Best Buy or Apple Store price match it is; but hell it’s only $20 which itself is the new $10.

Reactions: MacLawyer

softtree

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2021
Nice, I was about to grab one at full price last night but decided to hold off for a deal and here it is. Chase Freedom cardholders, if you go into your account and add the Target's offer you can get another 10% back (max $9 back, so not much room for other stuff on top of the HomePod).

DeftwillP

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2011
Nice, I was about to grab one at full price last night but decided to hold off for a deal and here it is. Chase Freedom cardholders, if you go into your account and add the Target's offer you can get another 10% back (max $9 back, so not much room for other stuff on top of the HomePod).
You can also pay using paypal->freedom card to get 5x points

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.