Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's 64GB Wi-Fi iPad Air has returned to its all-time low price of $499.99 on Amazon today, down from $599.00. This sale is currently available in Sky Blue and Space Gray, with an estimated delivery of early February.

ipad-air-arrive-feature.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with some of these vendors. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

This is a match of the best price we've ever tracked on this version of the iPad Air, and one we haven't seen in a few months. You can find the same sale happening at Best Buy this week as well.

For even more iPad deals, head to our full Best Deals guide for iPad. In that guide we track the best discounts online for iPad, iPad mini, iPad Air, and iPad Pro.

Update: This sale has expired.

Article Link: Deals: iPad Air Drops to All-Time Low Price of $499.99 ($99 Off) [Update: Sold Out]

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors G5
May 16, 2015
Then one must really ask oneself "Do I need a $600 tablet for browsing and reading and doodling"? There are certainly MUCH cheaper choices for such basic tasks.
But one could argue “I want best browsing experience, reading experience and doodling experience”, which this $600 iPad probably can’t deliver that level experience. It’s a tricky balance only the buyer know.

Frixos

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2020
Even so, if that were all you wanted it for, the $329 iPad could do all that with pretty much the same experience.
When I bought the IPad Air 4 64GB this past summer on discount, I considered the iPad, but I’ll mostly read and highlight on it, and the screen is far superior on iPad Air. True Tone makes for a much more comfortable reading experience, and pencil 2 is much more convenient than pencil 1.

Reactions: VaruLV and snipr125

snipr125

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Then one must really ask oneself "Do I need a $600 tablet for browsing and reading and doodling"? There are certainly MUCH cheaper choices for such basic tasks.
Yes but those cheaper tablets don’t have the A14 Bionic chip for when you want that performance for more advanced tasks. Also USB C allows you to add external drives for more storage if needed. Its basically an iPad Pro Lite.

jeffpeng

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2021
You certainly can ask that. If I was into drawing I'd buy it over the normal iPad just for the pencil support. But then again .... if you are seriously into drawing (my wife is), then you'd go for the iPP (which she did). So.... yeah, I've been feeling for a time now that the air is awkwardly positioned between a rock and a pro place. Honestly: I wouldn't be too surprised if they eventually just phased it out. There is a "cheap" tablet, an expensive tablet, and a small tablet. Who really needs one that sits somewhere in between and excels and nothing?

The thing really is: if you are willing to spend 600 bucks .... you're probably willing to spend 200 more. And having had both for testing ... you should. The question becomes harder choosing between 500 and 800 bucks - but even then, considering you'll probably keep the device 3 to 5 years ... meh. It's like with most things ... either you get the cheapest thing that'll make the cut, or the best thing you can afford. And again: if you can afford 500 you can most likely afford 800. Btw consciously not talking about the 12.9 inch because.... that ain't really a tablet. It's a laptop with a keyboard that comes extra.

VaruLV

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2019
Wow, 499$(~453€), I wish we could get such retail prices here in Europe! Cheapest iPad Air in my country costs 693$(629€)! While Mini costs 616$(559€), while regular iPad costs 438$(398€)…

Reactions: rgarjr

VaruLV

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2019
…or at similar price point but with much better AMOLED screen and more storage/expandable storage.
Going a bit off-topic, but the upcoming Tab S8 Ultra seems like media consumption beast, tho at twice the price of Air, hence a bit off the mark here.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.