Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today we're tracking one of this year's first notable discounts on Apple's iPad mini, starting at $349.99 for the 64GB Wi-Fi model, down from $399.00 [Best Buy / Amazon].

ipad-mini-sale-fanned-red.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with some of these vendors. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

You can also get the 256GB Wi-Fi iPad mini for $499.99, down from $549.00 [Best Buy / Amazon]. For the cellular models, you'll find prices starting at $479.99 for 64GB [Best Buy / Amazon] and rising to $521.23 for 256GB [Amazon].

Apple's iPad mini 5 launched in March 2019 with a 7.9-inch display and a Touch ID home button. Although the iPad mini is over two years old, sales are rare for the tablet. Today's offers from Best Buy and Amazon are solid second-best prices across the board.

For even more iPad deals, head to our full Best Deals guide for iPad. In that guide we track the best discounts online for iPad, iPad mini, iPad Air, and iPad Pro.

Article Link: Deals: iPad Mini Drops to $349.99 in New Sales ($49 Off)

cougarmeat

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2021
Bend OR
Last time I took advantage of a “sale”, I bought an iPad mini 3. It can’t be ungraded beyond iOS 12.x and now I’m running into software/app upgrades that won’t install because they want at least iOS 13.x. Buying old hardware is not worth a $50 savings. It will be obsolete soon enough, even if you buy it new.

pdaholic

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2011
This mini is only 2 years old and still runs plenty fast. I’m sure it will get iOS updates for several years to come. That said, I’m looking forward to selling it for an updated version hopefully coming this fall. The bezels make the device look really outdated, and Apple Pencil 2+ support would be awesome.

Lucas Curious

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2020
A12 still runs fast. I got this brand new with new apple cover for $400 256gb when it first released from a new medical grad who didn't use apple gadgets. Id say wait for the new version at this point but the 5 it a great portable computer and the resolution is super sharp. So sharp that I didn't mind putting a writing screen protector on it which reduced the clarity but is still very clear.

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
For non-tech geeks, the Mini 5 is plenty good even now, but only saving $50 is not that significant. I’d advise waiting for a refresh to see how they price the new one. Plus, the 5 will drop lower in price after the 6 launches.

I bought the Mini 4 for $300 back in early 2018 thinking it was the last Mini, but then they refreshed it a year later. At least we have lots of rumors about a 6 right now, so people in-the-know can hold off on the 5.

pdoobs

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2015
$314.99 if you have a Costco membership. Also literally the same processor as the current gen regular iPad and probably the last small form factor to use lightning cables which a lot of people have zero issues with.

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
$314.99 if you have a Costco membership. Also literally the same processor as the current gen regular iPad and probably the last small form factor to use lightning cables which a lot of people have zero issues with.
That Costco deal is solid. Good point about the lightning connector. I kind of hope the Mini 6 has lightning too, but we’ll see.

The rumors are sort of contradictory, with some saying it won’t be redesigned, and others saying the opposite.

Reactions: Jovijoker

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Last time I took advantage of a “sale”, I bought an iPad mini 3. It can’t be ungraded beyond iOS 12.x and now I’m running into software/app upgrades that won’t install because they want at least iOS 13.x. Buying old hardware is not worth a $50 savings. It will be obsolete soon enough, even if you buy it new.

There are a few good uses for older models like this. Case in point, my spoiled nephews and nieces each have an iPad. They are barely in grade school, so those iPads take quite a bit of physical abuse (even when they are enclosed in Otterbox cases). Parents should never give young kids the latest (most expensive) iPads. But the older models on sale are perfect.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
This mini is only 2 years old and still runs plenty fast. I’m sure it will get iOS updates for several years to come. That said, I’m looking forward to selling it for an updated version hopefully coming this fall. The bezels make the device look really outdated, and Apple Pencil 2+ support would be awesome.

The Mini 5 is powerful enough, but that design. Ugh. Those huge bezels. 2010 called, they want their bezels back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.