Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

This Presidents' Day weekend you can save on a few iOS and macOS apps at StackSocial, offering you an extra 15 percent off apps that have already been discounted. These include a VPN, website creation software, a reading app, data management software, and a language proficiency app.

ss-app-sale-feb-2020.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with StackSocial. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

In this sale, you can enter the promo code PRESIDENT15 at checkout to get an additional 15 percent off these apps. The code will last through Monday, February 17 at 11:59 p.m. PT, and you can find every app on sale below.

StackSocial Sale - use code "PRESIDENT15"

• KeepSolid VPN Unlimited - $33.15, down from $39.00: Protect your data on any Wi-Fi network with your own VPN, with no speed or bandwidth limits.
  • Blocs 3 - $34.00, down from $39.99: Website creation tool with easy-to-use software that lets you create fully customizable webpage layouts without writing code.
  • 12min Micro Book Library (Lifetime Subscription) - $33.15, down from $39.00: Gain access to hundreds of micro books that can be read in under 12 minutes.
  • Pagico 9 - $21.25, down from $25.00: Manage all of your tasks, files, and projects with Pagico's data management software.
  • Mondly (Lifetime Subscription) - $85.00, down from $99.99: Learn one of 33 languages using Mondly's speech recognition software.
Be sure to visit our full Deals Roundup to shop for even more Apple-related products and accessories.

Article Link: Deals: Learn a New Language, Protect Your Online Activity, or Build a Website With These New iOS/macOS Software Sales

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
KeepSolid VPN Unlimited - $33.15, down from $39.00: Protect your data on any Wi-Fi network with your own VPN, with no speed or bandwidth limits.

The $33.15 (discounted from $39.00 and "discounted" from $499) is for a LIFETIME subscription -- and that's before any affiliate payments are factored in. A one-time payment of thirty bucks is not sustainable for a lifetime of VPN service. This "lifetime" service will either disappear, or they or harvesting data about their users, or both.

It's fine for MacRumors to recommend deals for readers, but they must be legitimate deals. Did the MR staff screen this deal?

ep2002

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
With regard to VPN Unlimited:

Yes MR, please do some due diligence on what you “promote” to your readers. A quick look into the company will reveal the data collection the end user agrees to and also the business is located in the USA and Ukraine. Yes seriously, Ukraine.

Vulkan

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2005
Useless, TX
Blocs 3 - $34.00, down from $39.99: Website creation tool with easy-to-use software that lets you create fully customizable webpage layouts without writing code.

https://blocsapp.com/ - Bottom of the site says: Available exclusively on the Mac for just $99.99 & A single Blocs license can be used on up to x2 Macs.

I wonder where they got it was $39.99

-o-

Also, they don't have a way to contact them even for a question aside from their forum. I smell something fishy with this deal. I would check the forums before purchasing...

Last edited:

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Pagico is good for what they're charging, but it's a bit clumsy, hard to navigate, and you have very limited ability to make mass updates. I've been using it to track my various solo software projects that I'm working on for several years now and while I'm satisified, it leaves a lot to be desired.

Anyone have any recommendations on a similar program that's not subscription based and would be handy for manging multiple projects? Ideally, it'd be something that also allows you to create and store notes. Pagico lets you do this, but the editor you use to create the notes is awkward and once I create those notes, it takes a lot of effort to find them again so I end up saving my notes in a separate application. It'd be nice to have one app that'll do it all.
[automerge]1581713991[/automerge]

$39.99 is the normal discounted price when it's on offer at StackSocial. The $34.99 price is with the special Presidents' Day discount.

RecentlyConverted

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2015
https://blocsapp.com/ - Bottom of the site says: Available exclusively on the Mac for just $99.99 & A single Blocs license can be used on up to x2 Macs.

-o-

Also, they don't have a way to contact them even for a question aside from their forum. I smell something fishy with this deal. I would check the forums before purchasing...
You are right, it is currently $99 plus tax. The deal price is $39.99, bought it today (another site, I was emailed the deal before I saw this, would have bought here to support MR if I had known).

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States

-o-

The app is originally $99.99. Usually I see this type of deal on Black Friday

Nothing fishy about Blocs. It works as intended. I’ve been using their software for the past two years. I even regularly come into contact with the company founder, Norm, on the Blocs forum and via support desk. He is very nice and helpful.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Nothing fishy about Blocs. It works as intended. I’ve been using their software for the past two years. I even regularly come into contact with the company founder, Norm, on the Blocs forum and via support desk. He is very nice and helpful.

Have you used other similar builder applications before? Can you compare Blocs to any of them?

I’m forever looking for a really good website builder application that can be used to get the basics of a site up and running and then allow me to customize in raw code, CSS, and HTML in a way that plays nicely with the original application files.

I’m a Web Developer who mostly works on really big sites. I want to do some small projects too, but the tools I use and the things I do for sites with thousands and thousands of pages just isn’t economical for little sites.

Pinegrow is my current website builder tool for low complexity projects. I like the workflow, but its undo history works so terribly that it makes raw editing almost unbearable.

I did give Blocs a quick spin a few years ago and I actually liked it quite a bit, but it was too restrictive for free coding. Is it still?

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
Have you used other similar builder applications before? Can you compare Blocs to any of them?

I’m forever looking for a really good website builder application that can be used to get the basics of a site up and running and then allow me to customize in raw code, CSS, and HTML in a way that plays nicely with the original application files.

I’m a Web Developer who mostly works on really big sites. I want to do some small projects too, but the tools I use and the things I do for sites with thousands and thousands of pages just isn’t economical for little sites.
I've used Blocs, Rapidweaver, and Freeway Pro for design purposes. Then I add in custom code after the design is done

Personally, I think Blocs is the best in terms of usability while Rapidweaver is better for plugin support. Freeway is a mess. Both will export into plain raw code as well but I don't know if I'd recommend them for 'huge' sites. Right now, the biggest site I worked on so far was my job is 20 pages and Blocs doesn't yet have the ability to organize them into directories without manually changing the routes or create multiple projects

Reactions: smirking

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I've used Blocs, Rapidweaver, and Freeway Pro for design purposes. Then I add in custom code after the design is done

Personally, I think Blocs is the best in terms of usability while Rapidweaver is better for plugin support. Freeway is a mess. Both will export into plain raw code as well but I don't know if I'd recommend them for 'huge' sites. Right now, the biggest site I worked on so far was my job is 20 pages and Blocs doesn't yet have the ability to organize them into directories without manually changing the routes or create multiple projects

If you had to go back and make edits in Blocs after you've added in custom code, would it work out ok for the most part?

I've never tried Freeway, but I did give Rapidweaver a hard look. I found it to be too structured and I thought it was a strange beast of not really being WYSIWYG and not being a code editor either. Like you said it has a lot of plugin support and it seemed to me that was the real reason you'd want to buy Rapidweaver. It wasn't to get the program. It was so you could gain access to the plugins that ran on it.

Small sites is all I'd want a tool like Blocs for. I want to do as much as possible without having to touch code, but have the option of brushing out the fine details in code. It's too hard to use visual builder tools on huge sites in any meaningful way. Everything you do ends up being fragments of code organized into functional blocks that rely on other functional blocks. Trying to break down code generated by a builder tool to work in that fashion is more trouble than it's worth.

I'll give Blocs another look when I have a chance. Thanks for your input!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.