Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

M1 MacBook Air and Pro deals remain solid as we enter the weekend, with multiple best-ever prices hitting both models of Apple's 2020 M1 MacBook lineup. Prices start at $949.00 for the 256GB MacBook Air and at $1,399.00 for the 256GB MacBook Pro.

discount-m1-macbook-pro-bue.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with some of these vendors. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

MacBook Air

On Amazon and B&H Photo you can get the 512GB M1 MacBook Air for $1,149.00, down from $1,249.00 [B&H Photo]. This sale is available in all colors, and it's a match of the lowest price that we've ever tracked on the 2020 512GB MacBook Air.

You can also save on the 256GB M1 MacBook Air, priced at $949.00, down from $999.00 [B&H Photo], but this isn't quite the best price we've ever seen on this notebook. All of these models are in stock at both retailers and ready to ship today.

MacBook Pro

Similarly, Amazon and B&H Photo have the M1 MacBook Pro models at a discount. You can get the 256GB MacBook Pro for $1,199.00, down from $1,299.00 [B&H Photo]. This sale price is available in both Silver and Space Gray.

The 512GB MacBook Pro is on sale for $1,399.00, down from $1,499.00 [B&H Photo]. We've seen this model go down to $1,349.00 previously on Amazon, but that sale is rare, and today's price tag is still a solid discount.

You can find even more discounts on other MacBooks by visiting our Best Deals guide for MacBook Pro and MacBook Air. In this guide we track the steepest discounts for the newest MacBook models every week, so be sure to bookmark it and check back often if you're shopping for a new Apple notebook.

Article Link: Deals: M1 MacBook Air and MacBook Pro Deals Offer Up to $100 Off Apple's Latest Notebooks

Wordman

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
Yeah, that is weird. Relating to the chip shortage, I checked the trade-in price of my late 2013 iMac on the Apple Store the other day. A month ago, it said £150 (huh). This week, it says £280. Doubling in price can only be due to the chip shortage, surely.

• Haha
Reactions: LeeW

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
a) there being a ship shortage doesn't mean that there is a shortage of MacBooks (remember what role the current Apple CEO had before)

b) Amazon&Co have been doing these level of discounts for years

c) doing such a discount will create some traffic to the site and people might end up ordering more then just the MacBook (on which they for sure will still have some profit margin left on)

Reactions: LeeW and CheesePuff

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
I am holding off on a M1 until I see the specs for the new iPad Pro. If the new iPad Pro has M1 power and 8gb of ram, i will definitely upgrade my iPad Pro instead.

Last edited:

Mr. Dee

macrumors 601
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Its a glut, looks like lots of these were manufactured, but most people who wanted one, got one and now there is an oversupply on top of the pandemic and people keeping existing devices longer. I think its partly why Apple is in no rush to bring the revisions to market such as the rumored 14 inch and 16 inch.

Reactions: BeefCake 15

LeeW

macrumors 68040
Feb 5, 2017
Over the hill and far away
These 'deals' are nothing out of the ordinary, just affiliate link promotion for MR. Plenty of other retailers doing discounts, seen the occasional better one. Search and you shall find.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Its a glut, looks like lots of these were manufactured, but most people who wanted one, got one and now there is an oversupply on top of the pandemic and people keeping existing devices longer. I think its partly why Apple is in no rush to bring the revisions to market such as the rumored 14 inch and 16 inch.
It’s been half a year since the release and that’s typically the time when discounts starts to appear judging from past years. Nothing really indicating there’s a glut or otherwise.

HappySponge

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2018
I think a lot of people are just waiting for the 14/16 M1x announcements before pulling the trigger. My MBP 2013 15" is still going strong. So I am going to wait until I have more info to make a decision on what I am buying.

boilingpoint

macrumors member
May 18, 2011
Purchased 13" MBP and returned it immediately because of Bluetooth issues. Won't buy a Mac until no Bluetooth issues.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 601
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
It’s been half a year since the release and that’s typically the time when discounts starts to appear judging from past years. Nothing really indicating there’s a glut or otherwise.
I’ve never seen Macrumors post so many discount stories on a Mac before and I’ve been on this site a verrrrrrrry long time. I stick to my view, this is out of the ordinary but we are living in unprecedented times.

boilingpoint

macrumors member
May 18, 2011
I’ve never seen Macrumors post so many discount stories on a Mac before and I’ve been on this site a verrrrrrrry long time. I stick to my view, this is out of the ordinary but we are living in unprecedented times.
I am guessing there may be huge return rate for M1 Macs.

Reactions: Mr. Dee

Flight Plan

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2014
Southeastern US
I am holding off on a M1 until I see the specs for the new iPad Pro. If the new iPad Pro has M1 power and 8gb of ram, i will definitely upgrade my iPad Pro instead.
I will probably do both. I've never owned a Mac, so I'm excited for a 16" model MBP with an M1, but will consider waiting for an M2 if it looks like we're on the cusp for that.

And I would like to upgrade to the latest iPad, too.

Not in a hurry for either one, but definitely things look promising!

I am guessing there may be huge return rate for M1 Macs.
What makes you say that? I ask especially since there doesn't seem to be any stories here on MR about M1 Mac returns.

crevalic

Suspended
May 17, 2011
It's always the 8GB models. People don't seem to be having a great time with those after the wow effects of the first week wears off and they try to actually work on their device. The high disk writes drama probably didn't help either.

Considering the sheer number of discounts on Macrumors I'd guess that Apple simply underestimated the interest for the 16GB and overestimated it for the 8GB models.

crevalic

Suspended
May 17, 2011
What makes you say that? I ask especially since there doesn't seem to be any stories here on MR about M1 Mac returns.
I'm not sure about the return number, but the m1 refurbs did appear online very quickly.

I guess you might expect that with large changes in hardware and many popular apps not being compiled for M1 at the time of release. At the same time, rumors about the redisigned 14 and 16" started quickly, so I'd imagine many people decided to hold off and wait for those, rather than stick with the already a bit outdated design.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Macrumors has been on a posting spree of discount articles for the past year or so to boost affiliate links, but more likely is the fact that these used to be posted to the Mac blog section before everything got unified. If you frequented the Mac section it was pretty common to see Mac discount links.

Last edited:

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Yeah, that is weird. Relating to the chip shortage, I checked the trade-in price of my late 2013 iMac on the Apple Store the other day. A month ago, it said £150 (huh). This week, it says £280. Doubling in price can only be due to the chip shortage, surely.
Shouldn't it be the other way around? Tradein is a way to encourage more sales by incentivizing buyers to give ups their existing hardware. If there is low stock this would be pointless. In any case, even £280 seems low even for a 2013 machine.

Wordman

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
Shouldn't it be the other way around? Tradein is a way to encourage more sales by incentivizing buyers to give ups their existing hardware. If there is low stock this would be pointless. In any case, even £280 seems low even for a 2013 machine.
Absolutely. Doesn’t make sense at all - that’s my point.

Flight Plan

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2014
Southeastern US
I'm not sure about the return number, but the m1 refurbs did appear online very quickly.

I guess you might expect that with large changes in hardware and many popular apps not being compiled for M1 at the time of release. At the same time, rumors about the redisigned 14 and 16" started quickly, so I'd imagine many people decided to hold off and wait for those, rather than stick with the already a bit outdated design.
"Might expect", "just a feeling", "rumors about this or that", I'm still not hearing about any massive issues.

We heard no end of troubles when we got bendy iphones, and "holding it the wrong way", and all those other issues with iPhones, memory, and/or this bluetooth radio or that wifi chip. Probably with iPads too. But in THIS ROUND of MBP M1s, I've neither heard of nor read about any widespread issues with the M1 MBPs.

Wouldn't there be at least one or two articles on MR, or one of the other sites? Yes there would. In this zero-tolerance, cancel culture, I hate everything, jealous society? You bet there would be something.

But there hasn't been. So returns either are happening for all randomly unique issues. It's either that or the people returning them are just having random 2nd thoughts. Or they're random idiots who can't figure out which end to plug into the wall. None of these things is likely.

In the absence of proof to the opposite, I call this a mostly normal, problem-free (or nearly problem-free) cycle with the typical behavior of such a cycle. It's not indicative of a problem. If I'm wrong, please prove it with some links. "MBP M1 Users growing a 3rd eye on their left ear" or maybe "MPB M1 users returning their purchases in droves because they get finger burns" or something like that.

"I feel like it's true" isn't an objective reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.