Deals on older generation mb pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johnsy, Oct 18, 2008.

1. johnsy macrumors 6502

Here I will post current deals on 2.4 mbp :

prices are without taxes and shipping, so beware:

amazon $1594 after rebate - $1444
    macmall $1595 after rebate - $1444
    refurbished apple store $1349

2. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

With prices like that, I wonder what I can sell my used one for. I maxed out the RAM, and I don't have a single dead pixel or scratch or scuff or anything. But it is used. Any ideas of what it's worth?

2.4GHz Penryn, base model w/4GB RAM

3. johnsy thread starter macrumors 6502

If you check ebay prices you will be surprised that used models run very closely to the price of new one! I don't think that $100-300 difference matters when you consider that you get used and not certified in any way laptop.

4. Kaupa macrumors regular

Why the f. are those MBP that cheap in the USA? Here in Germany you have to pay around 1800$US for the small penryn (2.4) one!
    I dont understand that.
    And the new small ones cost 1799€ which is 2430 $US---> LOL

5. cube macrumors G5

Yes, the people in USA don't realize how lucky they are about those refurb MBP deals.

6. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

These prices exclude tax. That German price includes it.

VAT in Germany is 19%. So the end price is going to be higher than anywhere in the US, where sales tax nowhere exceeds 8.75%.

7. johnsy thread starter macrumors 6502

Higher taxes? Free healthcare? Bigger salaries (1 euro is worth more than a dollar)? Plus macs are designed in USA (made in china anyway), so we get discount.

8. cube macrumors G5

I don't know about Germany, but I can tell you the price is some other places in Europe is not explained by counting in the VAT.

9. ftbps macrumors member

give yours back to apple and get a new one with only $200 more

10. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

How do you "give back" an 8-month-old laptop?

11. cube macrumors G5

What the heck has the exchange rate have to do with real purchasing power? Plus, no every place in Europe has public healthcare.

And I don't see what having the kit designed in USA has anything to do with getting a discount.

12. pavelbure macrumors 6502a

i do. i picked up a refurb 15 in today instead of a new macbook. came out cheaper too.

13. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

With tax, those MBP prices in California come out to about $1740, which isn't far off from the $1800 German price. I think currency exchange does have something to do with it, since Apple is an American company and ultimately puts USD in the bank. The last time I did a wire transfer of money from EUR-->USD, I had to pay about 15% in "currency conversion" fees and a flat wire transfer fee on top of it.

...and that's all separate from the exchange rate, which is always in flux. Apple has to build in a bit of padding to account for currency fluctuation so they don't end up losing money if the exchange rate becomes less favorable.