Deals on the "old" MBPs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by juiceman311, Jun 5, 2007.

1. juiceman311 macrumors member

Anyone know of any deals on the now "old MBPs? Specifically, the 2.16 GHz 15" MBP is what I'm mostly interested in. Thanks.

2. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

All I know is that the mac stores around here (Vancouver) have only dropped the price by $250! I might as well buy a new one... :mad:

3. phuong macrumors 6502a

i just heard about the new MBP today, and immediately thought maybe i would upgrade. mine is currently the standard "old" low end C2D MBP except that it had 2GB of ram (2.16GHz/15"/2GB/120GB/matte)
    then i thought again. with 2GB of ram i'd never had a problem with insufficient memory even though i dedicate 668MB to Parallels which runs 24/7. for more graphic and cpu intensed tasks, i already have a 2.66GHz/4GB/1TB/3200x1200 MP.

therefore, even though the price is attractive (i can get a iPod for a rebate and sell it immediately, and combine with student discount, i may save about $300 after tax) i still decided to hold back because when looking on eBay, there the demand for this model is surprisingly low. most MBP i see there were 17" or high end 15". in my estimation, i could probably sell it for 1,500 to 1,700. but then there is 2% goes to paypal and another 1 to 2% goes to eBay. so the cost of one year using it totals about $700 - that's $60/month. since it is most likely that i will be able to sell it at a close price next year, my best choice would be waiting until next year (God knows what Apple will release by then, besides Leopard)

so there you have it. my point is, if everyone is thinking like me right now, it is a pretty good time to get a 2nd hand low end MBP on eBay (underpriced due to low demand). if you don't like 2nd, you may still get it refub from Apple store (at a slight premium, of course).

by the way, contrary to that, buying a new "old" MBP is a no-no because it is just not worth it.