Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

We've partnered up with OWC this season to offer our readers an exclusive offer on the retailer's popular USB-C docks for Mac computers. Below you'll find these deals, along with a few other sales going on at OWC in September.

OWC-USB-Dock-Exclusive-Feature-FI.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with OWC. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Our exclusive sale is knocking $10 off the OWC USB-C Dock in Space Gray and Silver. There are a few versions of this accessory, including one with 10 ports and a Mini DisplayPort for $94.98, down from $149.99.

You can also get the USB-C Dock with 10 ports and a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI 4K adapter for $108.99, down from $149.99. Both of these accessories have had the MacRumors exclusive savings automatically applied, so simply add them to your cart and check out to net the deals (limit two per customer).

In total, the USB-C Dock has two USB-C ports, four standard USB ports, one Mini DisplayPort, one gigabit Ethernet port, one 3.5mm audio port, and one SD card reader. Our exclusive offer with OWC will run through the end of October.

Other deals at OWC include savings of $10 when you buy two USB-C Travel Docks, totaling $99.98, down from $109.98. The Travel Dock includes ports for USB-C, two standard USB ports, one SD card reader, and one HDMI port.

Lastly, OWC has a collection of bundle deals for shoppers. The first lets you purchase an OWC miniStack external hard drive and bundle in select hard drives to save up to $10 off your purchase. You can also save on Parallels Desktop Pro Edition when purchasing alongside select OWC hard drives. All of these offers can be found at the top of this page.

OWC also has its Drive Dock USB-C with a special combo deal that offers $10 off qualifying hard drives. The Drive Dock offers a compact solution to access bare SATA drives, offering two drive bays that accomodate 2.5-inch and 3.5-inch drives, priced at $89.75, down from $119.99.

Keep up with all of this week's best discounts on Apple products and related accessories in our dedicated Apple Deals roundup.

Article Link: Deals: OWC Discounts Range of USB-C Docks With Extra $10 Off for MacRumors Readers

Last edited:

MGrayson3

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2013
I am a big fan of OWC. Memory, Hard disks, RAID, an entire Mac Mini from 2011 for a file server. Great service. Great advice.

BUT...

I've had two docks from them. Both proved so unreliable as to be useless. Not mounting disks from some ports, TB cable disconnecting randomly. I now have a CalDigit TS3+ and am very happy.

Reactions: shuckit

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
$150 for a dock of ports that was included in the older MBP. Genius removing them...

Most of which were never used by the majority of MacBook owners. On the other hand removing the ports reduced the size and weight without removing battery capacity, which are things everyone benefits from.
[automerge]1601054516[/automerge]
I am a big fan of OWC. Memory, Hard disks, RAID, an entire Mac Mini from 2011 for a file server. Great service. Great advice.

BUT...

I've had two docks from them. Both proved so unreliable as to be useless. Not mounting disks from some ports, TB cable disconnecting randomly. I now have a CalDigit TS3+ and am very happy.

OWC’s customer service is absolute crap, as are their thunderbolt docks.

Reactions: steve09090

ChromeAce

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
I’ve had a couple of serious problems with OWC. Their 10gb Thunderbolt 3 ethernet adapter isn’t compatible with Airplay (both older and new version) without warning or notice to the buyer. Also, I bought 4 HomePods from them and one needed service within the year of ’s standard warranty and  said the serial number I had doesn’t have a warranty.

MGrayson3

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2013

I've had VERY good experience with their customer service. Everything fine except the docks. Maybe I've been lucky? But then, I've gotten great customer service from AT&T, so perhaps it's my superpower. :cool:

Reactions: sideshowuniqueuser

TheWatchfulOne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009

BUT...

I also briefly had a OWC USB-C dock. It was probably the best looking dock available at any price. However, I could not get it to work at all with my company issued 13" MacBook Pro. While I still had the dock, I did the BYOD thing and got my own computer to use for work, also a 13" MacBook Pro, and the dock would not work with that computer either. At all. So, I returned it and went with a slightly more expensive CalDigit. The CalDigit has proven quite reliable.

I will say I have several OWC hard drive enclosures and those are top notch.

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68020
Mar 20, 2016

BUT...

I have a strong suspicion this isn't OWC's fault, but bugs and crap in Apple hardware/software that's causing the problems. Apple has been on a big long downhill slide in quality control. I had my card reader fail in my old MBP, so bought a third party USB card reader, and it didn't work with my MBP, even though it worked in friends' laptops.

NB: I also have had good experiences w buying RAM and SSDs from OWC. I did recently have an SSD fail after a year or so, and they told me to mail it back, and then they sent me a new one. They also sent it to Australia via the most expensive super fast DHL shipping. My mate who works for a huge online store in Europe said that that shipping would have cost them around $30-40. Quite impressive!

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68020
Mar 20, 2016
Most of which were never used by the majority of MacBook owners. On the other hand removing the ports reduced the size and weight without removing battery capacity, which are things everyone benefits from.
[automerge]1601054516[/automerge]

I've had nothing but great service from them. I'm always super polite and positively assume the best with any customer service though, which always helps magnificently, as after all, they are individual humans, and thus respond best to politeness and positivity.

carestudio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Looking to get a a new MBP soon, any suggestions on the best dock? Is it Hyperdrive? Is it this?
Caldigit TS3 Plus is the best and cheaper than other Thunderbolt dock. I have noticed that the most recent released thunderbolt 3 docks can only do 10Gb data through all the usb ports while Caldigit's one can do around 20Gb data through all the usb ports and another 20Gb for video. A huge bonus if you are looking for a true Thunderbolt 40G dock.

dave070

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
Nevada
Is there a technical reason why there are no hubs that have more than 2 USB-C plugs on them? Taking up one port to only add two doesn't seem worth it.

ChromeAce

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
Is there a technical reason why there are no hubs that have more than 2 USB-C plugs on them? Taking up one port to only add two doesn't seem worth it.

I’ve wondered the same thing for over 2 years. Probably because a USB-C port is faster and needs more power and the chips per port are pricey. Ditto with Thunderbolt 3. The only multi-port hubs I found for Thunderbolt 3 was on an LG monitor or an iMac or MacBook Pro with 4 of them.

surf2snow1

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
Flashbacks to high school and plugging in a daisy chain of headphone splitters so everyone can listed to a Walkman.

ikramerica

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2009
I‘ve had the older version of the drive dock for 13 years or so. Great product.

ulyssesric

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2006

DO NOT BUY CalDigit TS3+ if you're MacBook 13"/16" 2020 owner.

They have compatibility issue that will cause Kernel Panic when unplug and re-plug the TB3 connector. It happens about 80% of the time on brand new MacBook 13" 2020 running latest macOS. CalDigit guys had confirmed this issue and apparently they don't think it's a problem in their hardware or firmware; they blame Apple instead. Meanwhile, I've tested other docks like Targus and Dell and none has such issue.

I'm old CalDigit TS dock user for 7 years but I'm totally disappointed about TS3+. It's DisplayPort is all-dead before firmware v44.1, and right after v44.1 it started to crash my system, and even after v44.1, the uplink TB3 port still fails to detect external monitor via passive adaptors except VGA.

• Wow
Reactions: PO2345
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.