MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Woot is ending the week with a refurbished sale on the 15-inch MacBook Pro, available in multiple storage sizes and colors. The sale starts with the 256GB SSD model (16GB RAM, Intel Core i7) for $1,579.99.

15-inch-mbp-800-off.png
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Woot. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

For more storage, the 512GB SSD model (16GB RAM, Intel Core i9) is on sale for $1,849.99. Woot's refurbished sales are offering more than $800 in savings when compared to the original prices of these notebooks, which began at $2,399.00 when they launched in May 2019.

Similar to previous Woot sales, each MacBook Pro comes with a One Year Limited Woot Warranty. Each device has been refurbished and is ensured to be in full working condition. When shipped, they are packaged in a generic white box.

You can find even more discounts on new MacBooks by visiting our Best Deals guide for MacBook Pro and MacBook Air. In this guide we track the steepest discounts for the newest MacBook models every week, so be sure to bookmark it and check back often if you're shopping for a new Apple notebook.

Article Link: Deals: Refurbished 15-Inch MacBook Pro Notebooks on Sale at Woot From $1,580 ($800+ Off)

Last edited:

russell_314

macrumors 68020
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Are these refurbished by Apple or a third party. That would be the big question. Third party refurbished is just used and has no warranty from Apple.

Comment

GuruZac

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2015
Easily worth more than the 2020 13” MBP unless you need the smaller form factor.

• Sad
Reactions: Wayfarer
Comment

Sharewaredemon

Contributor
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
Worst MacBook Pro ever. You'd have to pay me to take it.
I'll take yours for half the payment. They are rocking machines with a weird quirk, that, for some people like, isn't an issue. Huge deals on these isn't a bad thing as everyone has to dump their stock. I run my unit lid closed most of the time, it's a great option for other people to do as well.

Comment

oldMacGenius

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2018
San Francisco, CA
That butterfly keyboard... I would never knowingly buy a computer with a AppleCare Repair Extension Program as a selling point for such a critical component. With the delicacy of internal components, molex/zif connectors, and ribbon cables; not to mention soldered SSD/RAM, any stress on anything during repair may cause any number of failures to eventually occur. I’m not against getting a unit repaired, I would rather not buy one with the likely potential of needing a repair for such a silly issue.

Comment

joeblough

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2006
Are these refurbished by Apple or a third party. That would be the big question. Third party refurbished is just used and has no warranty from Apple.

these are refurbished by apple. however, regardless they still have no warranty from apple, and you can't buy applecare. that's the catch.

i got a 2018 13" MBP on a previous iteration of this deal @ woot and it arrived in the standard apple refurbished packaging. however, the battery was 100% dead. coconut battery said the machine and battery were 2 years old (6 cycles on the battery), so it must be an early return that got refurbished and then languished in a warehouse for 2 years.

i contacted woot about it and they offered me a replacement, my money back, or $100 to cover the cost of the repair. turns out apple wants about $230 to replace this battery out of warranty. when i mentioned that to woot they agreed to give me an additional $100 back. i sent it to apple and despite covid19 they turned it around in one day. pretty happy with that.

i guess the only fear i have now is what happens if/when the machine has another problem during the next year? is amazon going to honor the warranty now that they've probably lost money on the sale?

edit: i just re-read the woot 1-year warranty and interestingly it says it does not cover batteries. but maybe they considered this a special case because the battery was DOA.

Reactions: russell_314
Comment

eatrains

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2006
These are refurbished by Apple but aren't being sold by Apple and don't have an Apple warranty? Super super sketchy.

Comment

joeblough

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2006
These are refurbished by Apple but aren't being sold by Apple and don't have an Apple warranty? Super super sketchy.

i don't think it's sketchy, it's just business. apple probably unloaded these things extremely cheaply to amazon knowing that they don't have to support them. this is the kind of thing woot does...

Last edited:
Comment

Appledoesnotlisten

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2017
i don't think it's sketchy, it's just business. apple probably unloaded these things extremely cheaply to amazon knowing that they don't have to support them. this is the kind of thing woot does...
You mean no 4 year keyboard replacement program?

Comment

Peperino

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2016
I'll take yours for half the payment. They are rocking machines with a weird quirk, that, for some people like, isn't an issue. Huge deals on these isn't a bad thing as everyone has to dump their stock. I run my unit lid closed most of the time, it's a great option for other people to do as well.
This MBP should have been recalled, not sold as refurb.

Comment

joeblough

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2006
You mean no 4 year keyboard replacement program?

apple being apple, i'm sure that they would replace a keyboard on one of these machines. after all it is a 4 year program and no one's warranty lasts that long. if you bought one used and the keyboard failed do you think they would tell you to pound sand?

Comment

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
That butterfly keyboard... I would never knowingly buy a computer with a AppleCare Repair Extension Program as a selling point for such a critical component. With the delicacy of internal components, molex/zif connectors, and ribbon cables; not to mention soldered SSD/RAM, any stress on anything during repair may cause any number of failures to eventually occur. I’m not against getting a unit repaired, I would rather not buy one with the likely potential of needing a repair for such a silly issue.
If they break it, they will fix it for free. They broke the sound on my 2018 MacBook Air when they were replacing the keyboard. So, they replace the motherboard too for free.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.