Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung has kicked off a new sale on monitors, memory, and storage, which is set to end on March 12. During this event you'll find discounts on 4K Samsung monitors, as well as a few internal and external SSDs.

new-samsung-monitors-purple.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with some of these vendors. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

These sales have been applied automatically and do not require any coupon codes in order to see the discounts. Samsung is focusing on gaming monitors for this event, including the curved 49-inch Odyssey monitor and the smaller 32-inch Odyssey Neo G8 curved monitor.

Monitors

Storage

Head to our full Deals Roundup to get caught up with all of the latest deals and discounts that we've been tracking over the past week.

Article Link: Deals: Samsung Taking Up to $600 off Select Monitors in New Sale

MrTemple

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2013
Canadian Pacific North Wilderness
Man I wanted to love a curved monitor. I tried pretty much all of them.

They were all pretty good... but only when your head was exactly in the centre of its arc. Which for most of them was somewhere 10-20 feet away.

Sitting up close they were all just artifact city. Worse whenever I moved my head.

Scrapped the idea and went for a flat ultrawide. Perefect from any position. SOOOOOO much better than any of the curved ones.

ELman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
Great price on the 2TB NVMe drive. Now if Apple would only stop charging a fortune for storage.

Reactions: v0lume4

chewbaka

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2014
How is 4K at 32 in”? I have a 28” 4K Samsung monitor, and am considering getting a second display, but I’m worried I won’t be happy with the pixel density at a larger size.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
I've always wanted to try one of those, extra, extra, extra wide monitors. However, I have doubts that Windows would be able to properly handle that. Plus, they're hella expensive (compared to "regular" monitors), and dunno if I have the space for that anyways. If I did, I'd rather just go with 2 standard monitors anyways.

chicagofan00

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
Ordered the 49” Odyssey QLED today from Amazon for my work MBP. It will be hopefully be replacing my 34” Samsung curved monitor.

likegadgets

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
US
Will the G95NA Odyssey Neo G9 work well on a MacBook Pro M2 MAX via a thunderbolt 4 cable? The M2 supports up to 120 GHZ on Thunderbolt, it may go 240 via HDMI but I need a single cable solution. Using Caldigit T4

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
Great price on the 2TB NVMe drive. Now if Apple would only stop charging a fortune for storage.
Ah comparing on a single metric of storage size and price association vice looking at the underlying technology reliability of SLC, MLC, 3DLC and QLC, failure rate, sustained read/write etc. But hey sure if we omit all those factors then Apple is overcharging 😝

Reactions: miguel cortez

Cham2000

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2022
That curved monitor appears to be pretty cool for FPS gaming:

1700$ for a 49" screen? I wonder about the quality for non-game work, though.

And what about the quality/reliability and longevity of the 2TB external/portable SSD? The price is very low for 2TB!

MakeAppleAwesomeAgain

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2016
Wherever
Hopefully they're getting rid of their 'old' stuff to finally release the monitors they showed at CES. I'm particularly interested in the ViewFinity S9/S90PC, the only Studio Monitor alternative so far.

Reactions: eifelbube

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
No. They are different. MBP read/write speeds nearly 5,000-4,000 MB/s. These SSDs are like 1,000 MB/s.

Not the same.
What are you talking about? The speeds of Samsung’s drive is 7,000 read / 5,100 write. link

I’m talking about the NVMe drive, not the SATA drive. Maybe that’s where all the confusion is coming from.

edit - Yep, I misquoted the price and you guys rightfully thought I was talking about the SATA drive, my bad. Point still stands. NVMe is $170 vs Apple’s $800 for the same storage and performance.

Last edited:

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
No, performance is not the same.

They are different components marketed towards similar consumers.
See my post above. Maybe you thought I was talking about the SATA drive. I was talking about the NVMe drive for $170. The speeds are just as fast if not faster than Apple’s.

Heck Apple may literally use the same chips (idk who their SSD supplier is right now).

edit - Yep I misquoted the price. See post above, my bad.

Last edited:

GraXXoR

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
I have the 49" Odyssey curved G9 monitor... It's good when it works, but it's been a complete **** show... Firmware updaded 15 times but still buggy in day to day use.

MrTemple

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2013
Canadian Pacific North Wilderness
So which model did you end up buying?
LG HDR 5K. It's a few years old, but it looks great at 5120 x 2160.

I'd be willing to upgrade for higher res or better refresh (neither of which I notice are lacking), but honestly I wouldn't if I had to sacrifice the ultrawide ratio. I would buy it again today and not be sad. I really like this form factor over the latest apple ones. You get more horizontal real estate than vertical.

Throw three documents side-by-side and it's a killer workflow.

Double monitor setups give me hives, because of the display edges right in front of your face.

I've got complete freedom of where I put my windows and the main window I'm focusing on always winds up straight in front of me. If I have it off to the side even a bit (like it would be in a double monitor), I notice it after a while and move it to the middle and it feels so much more comfortable. 👍

Reactions: whcchief
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.