Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung today kicked off a new monitor sale, providing up to $700 off select monitors. Within this sale is one of the first discounts on the latest model of the 32-inch iMac-like Smart Monitor M8, available for $599.99, down from $699.99.

new-smart-monitor-m8-red.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Samsung. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Samsung launched this refreshed version of the Smart Monitor M8 back in June, including updates like HDR10+ support and a portrait orientation option. Today's sale is the lowest price we've tracked since the monitor debuted, although it's not quite as low as we've seen the previous generation monitor get in past sales.

Besides the Smart Monitor M8, there are five other Samsung monitors being discounted this week. The sale is focused on Samsung's line of curved gaming monitors, ranging in price from $1,099.99 to $2,499.99 and totaling up to $700 in savings.

Keep up with all of this week's best discounts on Apple products and related accessories in our dedicated Apple Deals roundup.

Article Link: Deals: Samsung's New Smart Monitor M8 Discounted to $599.99 ($100 Off)

JayKay514

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2014
Hmm, that might be nice as a dorm room monitor especially for gaming, but 4k at 32" is relatively low-resolution (in terms of DPI) for close-viewing desktop work if you're looking for a Retina-style display, just FYI. I have a Dell 4K 27" and an LG Ultrafine 5K and the difference is really noticeable.

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
Hmm, that might be nice as a dorm room monitor especially for gaming, but 4k at 32" is relatively low-resolution (in terms of DPI) for close-viewing desktop work if you're looking for a Retina-style display, just FYI. I have a Dell 4K 27" and an LG Ultrafine 5K and the difference is really noticeable.

I agree, I have the HP 4K 27" and compared to my Studio Display (5K 27") the difference is noticeable, and the scaling is much better too (with MacOS).

At the office I use a 4K 32" and you can really tell the difference in resolution. Of course they are all good enough monitors and it all depends on what you will use it for.

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2009
With the M7 at $369 (I caught one on sale for $289) the M8 discounted by $100 is still not worth it. The difference between the M7 and M8 is not worth the extra money.

Reactions: sos47

samus22

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2015
I bought this monitor and sent it back the day after it arrived. MacRumors likes to push this monitor. I assume it is because of a referral bonus. My experience with it was so bad that every time they post a link to it, I'm compelled to help others not waste their money on it.

My original comment on the monitor for convenience. https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...eek-only.2389697/?post=32170572#post-32170572

Steve01234

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2014
buried in the specs, the truth : 400 nits and 99% sRGB which is ok for consumer panel. however its not even close to the apple studio display 1000 bits and P3, no TB3 either. you get what you pay for. all the goofy smart TV things are a waste that would never get used.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I've tried plenty of Samsung monitors (including this one), and almost every last one of them had issues. Connection issues, flickering issues, and etc.

The ONLY monitor than ran flawless for me (which I still have and use) is the Odyssey Neo G9 49', I love this monitor. But I wouldn't even recommend it, cause a friend of mine had the same monitor and had nothing but issues with it (which I tried to fix for him), and online reviews are seriously bad. I guess I got lucky with mines.

I recommend staying away from Samsung monitors.

Dell and BenQ are my favorite brands, which I also use.

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
buried in the specs, the truth : 400 nits and 99% sRGB which is ok for consumer panel. however its not even close to the apple studio display 1000 bits and P3, no TB3 either. you get what you pay for. all the goofy smart TV things are a waste that would never get used.

Did you mean 1000 nits?

The Studio Display is 600 nits by the way.

Chazak

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2022
Kind of funny ... I went to Samsung's retail sales website and they say there is no stock.

cmcbhi

Contributor
Nov 3, 2014
FWIW, The Macs can run Apple TV, Amazon Prime Video, Spectrum App as well as several others. Using the Samsung as a YV is really not such an advantage. My 27" iMac function just fine at this.

kingtj1971

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2021
Alton, IL
I've tried plenty of Samsung monitors (including this one), and almost every last one of them had issues. Connection issues, flickering issues, and etc.

The ONLY monitor than ran flawless for me (which I still have and use) is the Odyssey Neo G9 49', I love this monitor. But I wouldn't even recommend it, cause a friend of mine had the same monitor and had nothing but issues with it (which I tried to fix for him), and online reviews are seriously bad. I guess I got lucky with mines.

I recommend staying away from Samsung monitors.

Dell and BenQ are my favorite brands, which I also use.
I was going to say the same thing. Samsung makes monitors with nice looking display panels in them, but that's about all I can say for them. I've got a couple of their 32" curved displays that had so many syncing and sleep/wake issues with my Macs. My M1 Max MBP 16" seems to behave with one, as long as I have a USB-C to USB-C cable going between it and a port on the side of the notebook. As soon as I try to run it through any kind of dock, though? I have to fight with it showing a black screen when the laptop wakes from sleep and having to disconnect/reconnect cables to get it to come back alive.

Samsung also has a tendency to use flimsy stands with their larger monitors. If you bump the monitor, it'll wiggle back and forth a few times like it wants to tip over. You'd think they could invest a few more bucks into a heavier base...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.