Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung's Smart Monitor M8 has hit a new all-time low price today on Amazon, available for $444.60, down from $699.99. This is the newest M80C model of the Smart Monitor, and the only color Amazon has at this price is Warm White.

M80B-Smart-Monitor-Deals-Feature.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with some of these vendors. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

This beats the previous low price seen during Prime Day by about $55, and it's a deal that's only available on Amazon as of writing. Samsung launched this refreshed version of the Smart Monitor M8 back in June, including updates like HDR10+ support and a portrait orientation option.

Head to our full Deals Roundup to get caught up with all of the latest deals and discounts that we've been tracking over the past week.

Article Link: Deals: Samsung's Smart Monitor M8 Drops to New Record Low Price on Amazon at $444.60

Veeper

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2020
I bought one and sent it back. The input lag was awful, and I don’t play any games. The colors were washed out and impossible to get correct. HDR on or off, the settings were extremely limited. The whole setup menu is about as complex as a Jitterbug cell phone, and has all the usual Samsung nags and nigh impossible to escape selection requests (WiFi/TV provider etc)

Just my experience, but it was a terrible one.

zarmanto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2014
Around the corner from the 7/11
This vs Studio display?
They're not really directly comparable. The Studio Display is 5K at 27 inches, while this is 4K at 32 inches. If you want something that's the quality of a Studio, you'll likely be disappointed with this Samsung.

It seems that there is also a 27 inch/4K model of the M80C -- but the current sale price for that smaller model is ironically $50 more than the 32 inch model. (Not that sales prices ever really make much sense, of course.) But if you're in the market for something like that, I personally still prefer this Dell display, which also appears to be on sale, today: $429 -- that's the same price that I bought it at, actually. I've had it sitting alongside my 5K iMac for over two years, and I'm still pretty satisfied with it.

ufgatorvet

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2010
Savannah, GA
They're not really directly comparable. The Studio Display is 5K at 27 inches, while this is 4K at 32 inches. If you want something that's the quality of a Studio, you'll likely be disappointed with this Samsung.

It seems that there is also a 27 inch/4K model of the M80C -- but the current sale price for that smaller model is ironically $50 more than the 32 inch model. (Not that sales prices ever really make much sense, of course.) But if you're in the market for something like that, I personally still prefer this Dell display, which also appears to be on sale, today: $429 -- that's the same price that I bought it at, actually. I've had it sitting alongside my 5K iMac for over two years, and I'm still pretty satisfied with it.
How do you think this Dell would go with a Mac Mini Pro?

I really want two monitors, but just have a hard time justifying two Studio monitors. Maybe one of these Dell for secondary monitor and Studio for primary monitor?

zarmanto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2014
Around the corner from the 7/11
How do you think this Dell would go with a Mac Mini Pro?

I really want two monitors, but just have a hard time justifying two Studio monitors. Maybe one of these Dell for secondary monitor and Studio for primary monitor?
Depends upon your point of view and your needs. Some Mac users with more graphics-centric backgrounds commonly bemoan the 4K resolutions of cheaper monitors like mine, because (from conversations I've had previously) Mac graphics assets were apparently designed to look their best on 5K displays. Unfortunately, the entry price for anything 5K or better is... not cheap.

Personally, I view my 4K Dell display as an acceptable compromise, because it's good enough for my needs but does not break the bank -- but I'm also not a graphics artist; I'm a software engineer. So my needs may or may not match yours.

Light_of_Consciousness

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2023
I bought one and sent it back. The input lag was awful, and I don’t play any games. The colors were washed out and impossible to get correct. HDR on or off, the settings were extremely limited. The whole setup menu is about as complex as a Jitterbug cell phone, and has all the usual Samsung nags and nigh impossible to escape selection requests (WiFi/TV provider etc)

This was helpful, thank you! I’m considering getting a Mac Studio because Apple won’t friggin’ make a larger iMac. Been looking for a good display unit cheaper than the Studio display because it’s practically the same price as a new desktop or laptop. And it’s only 27”. Incredibly frustrating.

Someirishguy

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2016

I have one and like it. No input lag on mine. Perhaps you connected it using AirPlay instead of with a cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.