Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

SanDisk has opened up a wide variety of discounts on its best computer accessories on Amazon this week, including portable SSD devices, USB thumb drives, and memory cards. You can find a collection of the products on sale in our roundup below, and visit the SanDisk storefront on Amazon for more deals.

sandisk-may-sale.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Portable SSD

- Extreme Portable SSD
  • 250 GB - $72.99, down from $99.99
  • 500 GB - $89.93, down from $169.99
  • 2 TB - $284.62, down from $326.06

USB Accessories

- Ultra Loop Flash Drive (32 GB) - $10.99, down from $12.99

Mobile Storage

- iXpand Flash Drive for iPhone and iPad (32 GB) - $22.99, down from $27.00

- iXpand Flash Drive Go for iPhone and iPad
  • 128 GB - $44.97, down from $59.99
  • 256 GB - $69.58, down from $89.99

- Ultra Dual Drive USB Type-C
  • 32 GB - $9.49, down from $21.99
  • 64 GB - $13.99, down from $32.99
  • 128 GB - $22.78, down from $59.99

Memory Cards

- Extreme MicroSDXC Card (512 GB) - $109.99, down from $199.99
- Extreme PRO SDXC Card (256 GB) - $69.66, down from $99.99

Keep up with all of this week's best discounts on Apple products and related accessories in our dedicated Apple Deals roundup.

Article Link: Deals: SanDisk's New Amazon Sale Has Discounts on Portable SSDs, Memory Cards, and Flash Drives

FlyGuyDEN

macrumors regular
May 20, 2014
Denver, CO
I bought the 1TB Pro....wanted the faster read/write speeds since I'm filming in 4k with my new DJI Mavic Air 2 now.

GrindBoxNotGears

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2019
There is a newer, Pro version of that external SSD on Amazon. It looks like it’s about twice as fast and a little bigger.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
Reactions: ignatius345

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
@SBlue1 and @fc4090 and @freedomlinux

My comment was before Wilburx3 edited (38 Minutes later than my post) his post so my comment was valid.
See below

Screenshot 2020-05-15 at 22.03.58.png

Sorry, missed putting that in.
500 GB - $89.93, down from $169.99

Can someone help me understand the difference between the
I see the V30, but the speeds don't seem to be all that different.

I'm only using it in a flush microSD adaptor in my MacBook for extra storage. Like this https://www.amazon.com/FBA_iSDA504ASV-aluminum-microSD-Adapter-MacBook/dp/B012F8ALBC

I would not recommend an SD card as a storage medium like that, sd cards are good for cameras and the like, not for storage on a computer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wilburx3

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
I would not recommend an SD card as a storage medium like that, sd cards are good for cameras and the like, not for storage on a computer.

I've been doing it for YEARS with zero issues. It's getting rewritten to way less than my hard drive.

It's a place to store things that I might want easy access to (videos, music, big PDFs, textbooks) and most of it all has copies somewhere else. A local copy of the 30GB of photos and videos (that I've already backed up to multiple other places) from a recent trip that I don't want taking up space, but really haven't had time to sort through yet. That kind of stuff.

Plus, when I'm working on something, it gives me the chance to make a quick local backup in case I accidentally delete something.

BayouTiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
New Orleans
I've been doing it for YEARS with zero issues. It's getting rewritten to way less than my hard drive.

It's a place to store things that I might want easy access to (videos, music, big PDFs, textbooks) and most of it all has copies somewhere else. A local copy of the 30GB of photos and videos (that I've already backed up to multiple other places) from a recent trip that I don't want taking up space, but really haven't had time to sort through yet. That kind of stuff.

Plus, when I'm working on something, it gives me the chance to make a quick local backup in case I accidentally delete something.

Exactly. The reason MS puts the uSD slot in the Surface hidden under the hinge. I always used it for storage of data that is pretty static.

simon the diver

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2010
I have the 2TB SSD and its tiny and light and I don't have the same worries that I used to have with my spinning hard drives dying.

Thats said, for a while last year, I had access to a large iPad Pro through work and three times after using it to import content onto the iPad and unplugging it, the filesystem buggered up. I had to wipe it and recopy the data back onto it and my Time Machine backup - 1.5 gb of data which is effectively 2 overnight jobs only to have to it go wrong again a few days later - twice. I cannot say if this is a fault of iOS or the drive. This was in the latter half of last year and iOS , now iPadOS has had several updates so this may not be relevant any more. I'd love to hear from others who own this drive and have used it with a iPadPro, both those who have had a problem and those who haven't.

The other issue is it comes with a really short usb-c to usb-c cable and a usb-c to use-a adapter which is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. If you use your laptop on your lap - the connection will fail every time . I've bought a cable, usb-c to usb-a that is longer and doesn't need an adapter when I use the drive with my older Mac book pro.

Apart from that there is much to like about these drives, small very light and not going to fail when you drop it :). At least not as regularly as spinning drive :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.