Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon is offering a few solid discounts on the latest 27-inch iMac this week, including the model with a 3.3GHz 6-Core tenth generation Intel Core i5 processor, 8GB RAM, and 512GB SSD for $1,899.00, down from $1,999.00.

iMac-27-inch-2020-sale.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

This $100 discount is also being matched at retailers like B&H Photo and Adorama.

Secondly, the 27-inch iMac with a 3.1GHz 6-Core tenth generation Intel Core i5 processor, 8GB RAM, and 256GB SSD is on sale for $1,699.93, down from $1,799.00. We've seen this model about $20 cheaper in the past, but Amazon's sale is still the best you'll find online right now.

Apple introduced new iMacs in August 2020, updating its desktop computers with tenth generation Intel processors, more RAM, more SSD storage, faster AMD GPUs, and True Tone support for displays. Similar to previous generations, the iMac features an "ultra-thin" design and support 4K on the 21.5-inch model and 5K on the 27-inch model.

You can keep track of ongoing sales on Apple's iMac line by visiting our Best iMac Deals guide. There, we keep track of the best iMac offers from Amazon, Adorama, B&H Photo, and other retailers, so be sure to check back often if you're shopping for an iMac for the first time, or thinking of upgrading.

Article Link: Deals: Save $100 on Apple's Newest 27-Inch iMacs, Starting at $1,700 for 256GB

dwaltwhit

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2013
Tennessee
Does 5% off qualify as a "deal"? I understand that the site has to make money off these affiliate links. How much of a cut do they get?

Reactions: xnu

applicious84

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2020
"This $100 discount" has my mouth watering....
As it should! That's over 5% (by $0.01). It may not cover sales tax anywhere, but you could (almost) buy a thunderbolt 3 cable for that price--the braided kind! What a deal

Mr. Dee

macrumors 68040
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I would prefer purchasing through Apple using monthly installment. The days of me buying outright are over.

ChrisA

macrumors G4
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
So retailers are trying to dump their inventory of Intel-based Macs before the Arm-based Macs come out? This is smart as no one would buy a recently obsoleted Intel Mac.

But will a 5% discount have any effect at all? Maybe this is an experiment to determine if demand is sensitive to price?

If you want one of these, wait for the first Arm-based iMac to be available. After that Amazon will have to do maybe 30% or more discount.

Chompineer

Suspended
Mar 31, 2020
Ontario
So retailers are trying to dump their inventory of Intel-based Macs before the Arm-based Macs come out? This is smart as no one would buy a recently obsoleted Intel Mac.

But will a 5% discount have any effect at all? Maybe this is an experiment to determine if demand is sensitive to price?

If you want one of these, wait for the first Arm-based iMac to be available. After that Amazon will have to do maybe 30% or more discount.

Except professionals who need X86 compatibility for things like bootcamp.

Basically, people who wish to do more than browse Facebook on their $3000 computer. Crazy concept, I know.

TommyBoyAZ

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2015
Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Would surely love to get newer iMac, but i recently sent 3 2020 iMac back due to numerous issues (glitch was obviously one) and intermittent restarts, lockups and TrueTone screen issues just too many problems. BUT i do hope they get them resolved.. For those who hadn't had those issues your lucky.. i had 3 in a row... all the same issue. after 10 days of vigorous testing it cost me more productivity and time lost due to lockups and lost content (data on screen that was lost due to lockup and not saved) All my other iMacs were perfect.. But not the 2020 27" 5700 XT... So fingers crossed they get it addressed soon because in all honesty it was a a fantastic system outside of these issues...

Howard Brazee

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2006
Lafayette CO
If the author of my 32-bit program that I need keeps being delayed, I may have to upgrade my iMac to Intel instead of waiting for the redesign. But not with such a tiny drive.

ChrisA

macrumors G4
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Except professionals who need X86 compatibility for things like bootcamp.

Basically, people who wish to do more than browse Facebook on their $3000 computer. Crazy concept, I know.

I think you can do more than web browsing with an Arm based mac. The Adobe Suite was been ported to Arm and we can be certain that all Apple apps like x-code, Logic and Final Cut will be ported. Most professional use cases are covered.

There is one Windows-only app I need, Solidworks. and also some Linux/Nvidia-only stuff I'm moving off the Mac for that.

Howard Brazee

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2006
Lafayette CO
So we don't need to buy a Mac with memory because we can buy memory elsewhere? Hopefully it won't be slower going through cables. I have to admit an external SSD is cheaper than buying an adequate computer from Apple.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
256GB works well enough on a desktop computer because you can connect it to fast external storage. 256GB will hold the system disk then you plug in either Thunderbolt drives or a NAS via the network.

I could see that for a Mac Pro with multiple internal drives but I can't see that in an iMac for 99.99999% of the customers.

Does anyone on MacRumors have a newer iMac with 256GB internal storage ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.