Deals: Save on 2017 iMac and MacBook Pro (Up to $400 Off), and Get HomePod for $280

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 11, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

New discounts on a variety of Apple products have hit some of the major retailers this week, including sales on HomePod and the older 2017 models of the iMac and MacBook Pro.

HomePod

For the HomePod, Costco is now providing its members a chance to save even further on the recently discounted smart speaker, priced at $279.99 in Costco retail stores, down from $299.00 on Apple's website and all other major retailers at the moment.

[​IMG]
    Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with these vendors. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

You'll have to be a Costco member to purchase the HomePod, and if you opt for shipping a charge of $4.99 will be added onto the order. You can purchase the HomePod in both White and Space Gray from Costco, and it's unclear how long the discount will last.

iMac

For the iMac, both Amazon and B&H Photo are discounting select models of Apple's desktop computer from mid 2017. This includes the 21.5-inch and 27-inch models, with savings of as much as $400 off the computer. The prices listed below are the best available online for each respective model, and start as low as $1,099.00 for the 21.5-inch iMac.

[​IMG]

Mid 2017 Retina iMacs
    [*]21.5-inch iMac, 3.0 GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB - $1,099.00, down from $1,299.00 [Amazon / B&H]
    [*]21.5-inch iMac, 3.4 GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB Fusion - $1,297.00, down from $1,499.00 [Amazon]
    [*]27-inch iMac, 3.4 GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB Fusion - $1,593.00, down from $1,799.00 [Amazon]
    [*]27-inch iMac, 3.5 GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB Fusion - $1,699.00, down from $1,999.00 [Amazon / B&H]
    [*]27-inch iMac, 3.8 GHz, 8GB RAM, 2TB Fusion - $1,899.00, down from $2,299.00 [Amazon / B&H]
    MacBook Pro

Amazon is also discounting the 13-inch MacBook Pro from 2017 by $200 (this is the model without a Touch Bar). There are two models on sale, the first of which has 8GB RAM and a 128GB SSD priced at $1,099.99, down from $1,299.99.

[​IMG]

The second MacBook Pro on sale has 8GB RAM and a 256GB SSD for $1,299.99, down from $1,499.99. Although they lack a Touch Bar, these MacBook Pros include a Force Touch trackpad, up to 10 hours of battery life, and two Thunderbolt 3 USB-C ports.

If you're on the hunt for even more discounts and bargains, be sure to head over to our full Deals Roundup.

Article Link: Deals: Save on 2017 iMac and MacBook Pro (Up to $400 Off), and Get HomePod for $280

2. Applebot1 macrumors 6502a

Really like my Home Pod but accidentally updated and the sound signature has changed.

3. Ateam043 macrumors newbie

Anyone has any feedback on a 2017 iMac?

Looking to go from a laptop to desktop just for regular use (email, web, and light photo editing).

4. scottfm macrumors newbie

scottfm

It would be great to see some UK Deals on here every now and then if possible. I'm sure the UK readers would be very grateful! :)

5. unobtainium macrumors 68020

6. BWhaler macrumors 68030

BWhaler

7. sigsegfalt macrumors newbie

That will likely be Costco's member price going forward. They always had it listed at $329, or $20 off Apple's price, and have adjusted for Apple's price drop.

8. fdanna macrumors newbie

Exactly!

9. ilikewhey macrumors 6502a

ilikewhey

10. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Is it worth considering the previous iMacs over the new ones out now for those prices?

11. praetorian909 macrumors regular

I would say the old ones (from 2017) are quite old. Consider when you're using it 3 years down the road, they'll actually be 5-years-old tech.

Also there was quite a big jump from the Intel 7th gen CPU to the 8th/9th.
    https://www.macrumors.com/2019/03/28/2019-imacs-geekbench-benchmarks/

12. jagolden macrumors 6502a

jagolden

Yes. It should serve you very well for 6 years. Use the savings to purchase a RAM upgrade on Amazon (or somewhere), and you should be happy, unless you are working with very large video files for editing and compositing.
    Don’t let all the geekbench numbers and bars sway you too much. They don’t indicate real world usage. A bar that’s twice as long does not mean the time something takes is cut in half. Some smoke and mirrors there.
    People are too impressed with numbers and saying they have the latest and greatest.
    Think about how you will be using the machine.

13. hipnetic macrumors 6502a

I could use a new MacBook Pro 13". My 2013 model is feeling a bit old. But my biggest problem with it is that my 8GB of RAM gets easily filled up and then the computer becomes unresponsive, and I have to wait for the spinning disc to eventually/temporarily un-spin, and let me manually close some browser tabs to free up memory again (or drastically force kill the browser altogether). So 16GB is a must for me.

I have a touchbar on my work-supplied 2016, and I wouldn't miss it if I didn't have it (and would prefer having a real escape key), but I think that model doesn't even offer a 16GB option. And I believe it also limits you to two (2) TB3 ports, which would be too limiting for my desktop with my two (2) external monitors. I'm also not a fan of the new keyboards, but I guess we'll be stuck with them for a while.

14. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

It is a great computer. It is a powerhouse, in my opinion. Make sure to get a model with a SSD. And if you think you might want to upgrade the RAM yourself, the 2017 model will easily allow you to do that, by just opening the external RAM door.

I haven't had any problems with mine, which was bought brand new in September of 2017.

15. jimothyGator macrumors 6502

jimothyGator

The HomePod, even before Apple's price cut, often goes on sale so there's no reason to pay more than $250 for it.

I bought my first one the day it was release for full price, then added two more for $250 on a Black Friday sale. It turned out that sale lasted for a week or two beyond Black Friday, and it has returned to that price a few times since at Best Buy, Target, Microcenter, BH Photo, and others. Right now, OWC has it on sale for $248.88.

To sum it up: Get yourself a HomePod, and don't pay more than $250 for it.

16. BGarza macrumors member

BGarza

I have 2 Homepods connected in stereo to my Apple TV, where my Apple TV outputs video to my projector. While Apple Music works from Apple TV to my homepods, Pandora does not. It comes out of my projector speakers, which stinks. Same goes for all in-between sounds on Apple TV other than shows themselves (moving cursor, previews of next episode following the episode itself, etc...)

17. gatorson macrumors newbie

I'm still using my late 2012 iMac and it runs like new with an SSD and some upgraded ram (16GB). The 27" is nice in that you don't have to take them apart to upgrade the ram modules. Needless to say - I'd have no problem getting last years model.

18. Cmd-Z macrumors 6502

Cmd-Z

Only by AirPlaying from an iOS device or Mac, HomePod does not have it's own apps other than what's cooked in for Apple Music.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 11, 2019 ---
    OWC's deal is in non-retail packaging, and no Apple warranty (OWC 1 year warranty though). I suspect that these are refurbs/returns.

19. MetalMac macrumors member

MetalMac

Why is 8gigs of RAM still a thing for premium computers?

20. zachlegomaniac macrumors 6502a

zachlegomaniac

I’ve said it before in this forum, but I got my HomePod for $249, loved it, and got another one for the same price.

I wouldn’t take a non-condom covered keyboard MBP for free, however. Kind of a lie....but only kind of.

21. UltimaKilo macrumors 6502

That’s one hell of a deal on the HomePod. I’m tempted to buy the second one I have been wanting.

22. jimothyGator macrumors 6502

jimothyGator

The OWC page says “new,” so that precludes refurb, but I don’t know if it precludes returns.

23. Vjosullivan, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019

Vjosullivan macrumors 6502a

Vjosullivan

Any iMac will cope with that easily. I'm doing this on my 2011 iMac and am not having any issues.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 11, 2019 ---
    CostCo is basically selling off excess stock of old computer models. Nothing wrong with that but you do need to realise you're buying brand new two-year-old kit with a minimal discount.

(CostCo UK always has Apple items. It may be worth popping in to your nearest one and checking it out.)

24. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68020

Swappa and Ebay are your best bet. They wont be new. But often you can find someone selling a gently used one for around $200 plus shipping.

25. burgman macrumors 68000

burgman

Oh snap...