Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Woot today is offering certified refurbished iPhone 12 models at up to 33 percent off their original prices. This sale will last through tomorrow, June 30 at 12:00 a.m. central time.

iphone-12-vs-iphone-12-mini.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Woot. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

To start, you can save on a refurbished 64GB iPhone 12 mini, priced at $599.99, down from $729.00. This iPhone is available in Black, White, Blue, Green, and (PRODUCT)Red.

You can also get the 128GB iPhone 12 Pro for $939.99, down from $999.00. This iPhone is available in Graphite, Silver, Gold, and Pacific Blue.

Both iPhone 12 models on sale today at Woot have been inspected and are guaranteed to have minimal cosmetic damage. They've successfully passed a full diagnostic test to ensure like-new functionality and batteries are tested to function at minimum 85 percent capacity.

They're also both factory unlocked devices, and they come with a 90 Day Woot Limited Warranty, not AppleCare. All Amazon Prime members can get free standard shipping on Woot, and right now there's an estimated delivery between July 7 and 9 for the iPhone 12 devices.

Head to our full Deals Roundup to get caught up with all of the latest deals and discounts that we've been tracking over the past week.

Article Link: Deals: Save Up to $129 On Certified Refurbished iPhone 12 Models at Woot

Justice4Yall

Suspended
Jun 29, 2021
In this case nobody is refurbishing anything.
Huh? I guess it depends on your definition, but this:

Hey, you there! These items have been inspected and guaranteed to have minimal cosmetic damage, which is not noticeable when the device is held at arm's length & have successfully passed a full diagnostic test which ensures like-new functionality & removal of any prior-user's personal information. Batteries are tested to function at minimum 85% capacity.​
Seems like reasonable refurbishing. Short of replacing the outer casing to remove potential cooties, what else should they do?

Rocko99991

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2017

Hey, you there! These items have been inspected and guaranteed to have minimal cosmetic damage, which is not noticeable when the device is held at arm's length & have successfully passed a full diagnostic test which ensures like-new functionality & removal of any prior-user's personal information. Batteries are tested to function at minimum 85% capacity.​
Seems like reasonable refurbishing. Short of replacing the outer casing to remove potential cooties, what else should they do?
It's not. Woot sells used phones that they call refurbished- that's it. Buy it if you like.

azentropy

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise

That is inspecting, not refurbishing. Some people may be fine with that, but it isn't the same thing.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
There’s more than a wee bit of difference between Woot’s “refurb“ process and Apple’s for iPhones. Here’s Apple’s:

What goes into a refurbished iPhone.​

All refurbished iPhone models come with a new battery, new outer shell, are backed by a one-year warranty, have free delivery and returns, and also include:

• Full functional testing, genuine Apple part replacements (if necessary), and a thorough cleaning
  • The original Operating System or a more recent version1
  • All refurbished devices are repackaged in a brand new box with all accessories and cables.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013

That’s not refurbishing, that’s just not breaking the law by selling broken merchandise.

Waterloon

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2021
This is quite dishonest and I’d expect more from Mac Rumors, who are normally fastidiously honest. These phones are not refurbished. They are used.

This gives the impression they are somehow comparable to Apple refurbished products, which they aren’t.

EDIT: Welp. Wikipedia disagrees with me. They state that refurbished products include products that are merely tested or inspected to identify and correct defects. That was never my understanding of the word but I was mistaken. I still would never buy one of these.

I rent apartments and I wonder how tenants would feel if I advertised “refurbished” apartments when all I did was make sure everything worked correctly.

Last edited:

grjj

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2014

Inspecting and allowing "minimal damage" is not refurbishing.

When Apple refurbishes an iPhone they replace at least the outer case and battery, then sell it with a one year warranty just just a normal retail unit.
As for the 85% battery capacity, remember that Apple considers a battery to be consumed fully at 80% , so these iPhones could be sold with a battery that's 75% through its expected life.
For a $60 dicount, this is a ripoff.

Waterloon

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2021
Inspecting and allowing "minimal damage" is not refurbishing.

When Apple refurbishes an iPhone they replace at least the outer case and battery, then sell it with a one year warranty just just a normal retail unit.
As for the 85% battery capacity, remember that Apple considers a battery to be consumed fully at 80% , so these iPhones could be sold with a battery that's 75% through its expected life.
For a $60 dicount, this is a ripoff.
The electronics industry seems to have just invented a new definition for “refurbished” which does not exist anywhere else in the English language.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Great deal but new iPhone is around the corner :)
I would like to see you buy a Woot refurbished phone and then see if you still think it is a great deal. :p Knowing how obsessed you are with iPhones and being in mint condition, I doubt you could stomach the Amazon 'found on the side of the road with gum stuck to it, and then carefully wiped off with a Kleenex before being shipped to you' refurbished phone. :D People who buy refurbished Woot electronics probably buy refurbished underwear from Amazon as well. lol Some things you just don't do.

Reactions: Rocko99991

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
reminder that woot is owned by amazon and refurbished by amazon standards is well, not a standard at all. i have received computers completely bent out of shape, dirty, rubbed out keyboard letters, stickers, not the correct specs, not the correct color, etc.
How does a behemoth organization such as Amazon be so poor at this? Surely they must know word travels fast.
To a similar extent, Apple and Phobio. Reputation matters.

alexrx

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2011

So how long (sorry months) do you think the mini at 85 % will last until it hits the 80% Apple dangerzone ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.