Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamesHolden

Cancelled
Dec 17, 2022
I was looking at Sonos for our new living room but based on this thread I've been following on Sonos Community I don't think I'm going to be doing that. Two years without a fix for a major problem like this and a 45-page long thread with people complaining sure doesn't look good.

Additional Reference: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...-arc-soundbars-pop-of-death-for-over-2-years/
I've had Sonos for around 15 years now, both S1 and S2. I own (or have owned) the original ZonePlayer, both the Connect:Amp and Connect, original Play5, Roam, Move, the new Amp, the Sub, and the Arc.

My Arc has never had this issue. It is connected to a Sony A90J TV and I use it with Apple TV and a PS4, both of which are connected to an IOgear 4K HDMI switch that auto-switches inputs (since the Apple TV remote does not provide a way to do this, thus forcing you to keep your TV remote lying around for a singular purpose).

There are so many variables with digital audio versus old school amp and speakers. I can only speak for my Sonos Arc setup and it has been flawless. I've never had a signification issue with any Sonos product in the 15 or so years I've been a customer. When I have had to contact customer support, it's always been painless.

I'm sure this was discussed in the thread you posted, but cable quality is a major factor. Cheap HDMI cables are often the source of problems. People love to go cheap when it comes to cables and chargers and things like that, but it's a bad idea. Cheap cables often cause performance issues and can even damage hardware. Cheap chargers can burn your house down (as a very well-known online retailer's branded charger did to my friend's house on the 4th of July this year).

I'm a very satisfied Sonos customer and I've stayed with them for 15 years. Nothing compares to the Sonos experience. Audio geeks can argue "sound quality" all day long. I think Sonos sounds great, certainly great enough. But what keeps me in the Sonos family is the overall experience, thing like flawless multi-room audio and an app that supports the different audio services to which I subscribe...instead of jumping from app to app and having to Airplay everything.

I wouldn't let that one thread turn you off to Sonos.

Last edited:

clive27

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
For Sonos, that usually means they want to sell a few more devices before they drop support for them and make them unusable for everyone with a final update.
I still have one of those Play 1 that I bought about a decade ago. Its Wifi chip must be fried because I can't connect to it through Wifi anymore, but its still playing fine through the new app. It has to be wired to a router, but its sound is still great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.