Deals Spotlight: 2019 27-Inch iMac With 8GB RAM/1TB Fusion Drive Discounted to $1,749 (Lowest Ever)

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon has debuted a new lowest-ever price on the 27-inch iMac from earlier this year. The retailer has discounted the model with a 3.1GHz 6-Core i5 processor, 8GB RAM and a 1TB Fusion Drive to $1,749.00, down from $1,999.00.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

This week's sales also include a few other 27-inch models, and one 21.5-inch model, all relating to the latest 2019 refresh of the iMac line. You can find all of these discounts rounded up in the list below.

2019 iMac Sale

[*]21.5-inch, 3.0 GHz 6-Core, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB - $1,349.99, down from $1,499.00 ($149 off, lowest ever)
[*]27-inch, 3.0 GHz 6-Core, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB - $1,599.00, down from $1,799.00 ($200 off)
[*]27-inch, 3.1 GHz 6-Core, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB - $1,749.00, down from $1,999.00 ($250 off, lowest ever) Apple updated the iMac line in March of 2019 with 8th and 9th-generation Intel Core processors, upgraded Radeon Pro Vega graphics options, and faster 2666MHz memory. Apple said the 21.5-inch iMac is up to 60 percent faster than the previous-generation model, while the 27-inch iMac is up to 2.4 times faster.

Head to our full Deals Roundup for more information on the latest Apple-related sales.

Article Link: Deals Spotlight: 2019 27-Inch iMac With 8GB RAM/1TB Fusion Drive Discounted to $1,749 (Lowest Ever)

oneMadRssn

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2011
New England
Good and all, but c’mon, still with this fusion drives in 2019?
I haven't used fusion since I sold my Mac Mini a few years ago, but it was pretty darn good and awesome in terms of bang for buck. In terms of booting, launching apps, page-outs, and accessing frequently-used files, you get all the benefits of SSD. It's only when accessing big files and infrequently-used files that you got the HDD slowdown, which for most folks is rare or never happens.

CheesePuff

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2008
Southwest Florida, USA
I haven't used fusion since I sold my Mac Mini a few years ago, but it was pretty darn good and awesome in terms of bang for buck. In terms of booting, launching apps, page-outs, and accessing frequently-used files, you get all the benefits of SSD. It's only when accessing big files and infrequently-used files that you got the HDD slowdown, which for most folks is rare or never happens.
The Flash storage in the 1 and 2 TB Fusion Drives are only 24 GB, after formatting and macOS install it leaves under 10 GB.

Reactions: locovaca

oneMadRssn

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2011
New England
The Flash storage in the 1 and 2 TB Fusion Drives are only 24 GB, after formatting and macOS install it leaves under 10 GB.
The entire OS doesn't need to be on the SSD though. There are some OS files that are rarely if ever accessed. It varies user-to-user of course.

JacobHarvey

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2019
Somewhere
The 2TB fusion drive definitely uses a 128GB SSD not a 24GB one.

Also the 1TB fusion now appears to use a 32GB SSD. 1TB fusion drives originally came with 128GB drives but were reduced to 24GB for a few years and have now been increased very slightly to 32GB SSDs. Regardless, you'd probably at least want one with the 128GB SSD as a minimum

Last edited:

ignatius345

macrumors 68020
Aug 20, 2015
Meh. You can find a refurb'ed iMac 27" with a full 1TB SSD for only $300 more. WELL worth the extra money.

- - Post merged: - -

I’d choose Fusion Drive over 8 GBs of ram anyday.
You can upgrade the RAM on this particular machine in minutes. So if you're shopping for a 27" iMac 8 GB is actually the smart choice if you want to save your money for aftermarket RAM.

As far as I know, it's the only currently shipping Mac for which this is true.

ignatius345

macrumors 68020
Aug 20, 2015
My experience has been the same with one big caveat: the SSD sees a lot of wear. The one in my iMac 5K's Fusion Drive is seeing some alarming wear rates after 3 years of moderate use. The bang for the buck is definitely there, but I'm not sure about the longevity, particularly with the shrimpy SSD partitions in the current 1TB Fusion Drives.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2011
New England
My experience has been the same with one big caveat: the SSD sees a lot of wear. The one in my iMac 5K's Fusion Drive is seeing some alarming wear rates after 3 years of moderate use. The bang for the buck is definitely there, but I'm not sure about the longevity, particularly with the shrimpy SSD partitions in the current 1TB Fusion Drives.
Agreed on this. Though, as always, everyone should strive to have a proper 3-2-1 backup.

ignatius345

macrumors 68020
Aug 20, 2015
Agreed on this. Though, as always, everyone should strive to have a proper 3-2-1 backup.
Of course. I've got my stuff backed up in several ways -- but I'm still hosed if my Fusion Drive slows down or dies because the SSD has been hammered to death by read/write cycles.

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
You can say whatever but is is still $1850 (with taxes) for a middling Core i5 computer with only 8 GB of RAM and a previous generation hard drive... come on!
I think it's embarrassing to even still be shipping computers today with a spinning drive. SSD prices are a lot lower than they used to be. It's pretty shameful. I've wanted a new Mac for a long time but I refuse to buy something that is barely any improvement over my 2011 iMac (which has an ssd added to it).

Reactions: GeoStructural

ChrisA

macrumors G4
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
It does not work that way. Even if we assume MacOS is 14GB, it does not take up 14GB of the SSD. The parts of macOS that are used frequently stay on the SSD and the rest eventually get moved to the HDD.

The SD caches only the data that are accessed.

For those who never took the computer science 101 class, the speed of access in a multi-layer store is the speed of the cache times the probability the data is in the cache plus the speed of the bulk store times one over that probability it is in the cache. So it is easy to see that even an 80% perfect cache algorithm would dramatically speed up the computer.

jukkhop

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2016
Do not get the fusion drive. People recommending the fusion drive are just seeking validation for their own purchase decision.

Went for the fusion drive initially myself, instantly regretted, and exchanged for a SSD model. Even if the technology is sound in theory, it's just terribly slow in practice compared to a proper SSD.