Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's latest version of the AirPods has been seeing discounts throughout the year, and this week more retailers have introduced discounts on the wireless headphones.

airpodshandson.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with these vendors. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

The best price on the AirPods with Wireless Charging Case is $179.00, down from $199.00, which can be found at Amazon and Adorama. Best Buy also has this version of the AirPods on sale, at a slightly higher price of $179.99.

Amazon has the best price on the standalone Wireless Charging Case at $69.00, while Adorama has the accessory priced at $69.99. The Wireless Charging Case is originally priced at $79.00, and can be paired with any model of the AirPods earbuds, allowing you to charge them on a Qi mat.

If you're shopping for the AirPods with Charging Case, Best Buy and Amazon have this model for $144.99, down from $159.00.

We regularly track the best deals on AirPods in our guide right here, and you can find even more of the best Apple-related sales in our full Deals Roundup.

Article Link: Deals Spotlight: AirPods Discounted at Multiple Retailers, Including Wireless and Regular Charging Cases (Up to $20 Off)

mjsto21

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2018
Anyone know where I can purchase a charging case without the wireless feature? I don't want to spend the extra money on something I'll never use.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
$199?! For earbuds without wires! Wow I guess I never noticed how crazy the price had gotten. Lmao that’s funny to me. Now whenever I see people out in public using them, I’ll think they look even more douchey than I did before.

jaredlipsitz

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
$199?! For earbuds without wires! Wow I guess I never noticed how crazy the price had gotten. Lmao that’s funny to me. Now whenever I see people out in public using them, I’ll think they look even more douchey than I did before.
Your use of logic is hilarious. You say ‘without wires’, as though the absence of something has a bearing on its price.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Your use of logic is hilarious. You say ‘without wires’, as though the absence of something has a bearing on its price.

It isn’t hilarious at all as I am a very simple person who weighs the cost / benefit ratio of everything I purchase.

Does the removal of wires and use of Bluetooth justify the $180 difference in cost to you? I don’t see it, just use the dongle and purchase $19.99 Apple Earbuds.

I literally find it hilarious that people drop $199 on these things, it’s so outrageous to me. Price should be about $49.99

Reactions: Dionte

jaredlipsitz

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
It isn’t hilarious at all as I am a very simple person who weighs the cost / benefit ratio of everything I purchase.

Does the removal of wires and use of Bluetooth justify the $180 difference in cost to you? I don’t see it, just use the dongle and purchase $19.99 Apple Earbuds.

I literally find it hilarious that people drop $199 on these things, it’s so outrageous to me. Price should be about $49.99
How do you get to that cost?

TheWatchfulOne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
Maybe not hilarious, but very arbitrary. It's simpler to not have wires than it is to deal with wires.

If you want to be truly technical, the iPhone comes with EarPods (Earbuds were discontinued year ago.) A few years ago, the dongle was included too, but I that's no longer true.

$199 for AirPods which don't have wires that can get hung up on door knobs causing your $700 to $1000 phone to jump from its holster and crash to the floor. Seems like a worthy investment to me. Seems Apple can charge the $199 since there is much technology in them and people still buy them at that price.

parasitius

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011

You think you're really smart and know everything but you're ignorant and don't.

These are not similar to $19.99 earbuds, they do things my $600 audiophile headphones and $300 Bose noise cancelling headphones don't do. They do not have a competitor on the market, so you are suggesting that $199 is "to expensive" when there is no almost-equivalent in existence. You lack common sense.

Phones themselves have fantastic noise cancelling and if you need to be on a phone call for work in Starbucks or some other noisy environment, the person on the other end usually won't complain. They will actually hear very little of the noise. However, holding up a phone to your ear interferes with typing notes since only 1 hand free and it is extremely painful going past 2 hours. Furthermore, it is unnecessarily hard to hear out of 1 ear only. I cannot use my Bose or any $19.99 earbuds in such situations as they do not have cell phone level quality mic noise cancellation and my coworkers or customer will become extremely annoyed (and RIGHTFULLY SO).

Airpods were the first on the market to install any kind of meaningful mic noise cancellation. PERIOD. I have tried a ton of products. The feature is critical but just not available or sold. Bluetooth ear pieces existed for a while but after spending $200 trying models by different brands, they DO NOT WORK & again I cannot hear clearly when someone speaks with a heavy accent and sound is only in 1 ear. Airpods are a game changer and if the battery dies every 4 months I'll STILL be throwing money at them non-stop, there is no question.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
You think you're really smart and know everything but you're ignorant and don't.

These are not similar to $19.99 earbuds, they do things my $600 audiophile headphones and $300 Bose noise cancelling headphones don't do. They do not have a competitor on the market, so you are suggesting that $199 is "to expensive" when there is no almost-equivalent in existence. You lack common sense.

Phones themselves have fantastic noise cancelling and if you need to be on a phone call for work in Starbucks or some other noisy environment, the person on the other end usually won't complain. They will actually hear very little of the noise. However, holding up a phone to your ear interferes with typing notes since only 1 hand free and it is extremely painful going past 2 hours. Furthermore, it is unnecessarily hard to hear out of 1 ear only. I cannot use my Bose or any $19.99 earbuds in such situations as they do not have cell phone level quality mic noise cancellation and my coworkers or customer will become extremely annoyed (and RIGHTFULLY SO).

Airpods were the first on the market to install any kind of meaningful mic noise cancellation. PERIOD. I have tried a ton of products. The feature is critical but just not available or sold. Bluetooth ear pieces existed for a while but after spending $200 trying models by different brands, they DO NOT WORK & again I cannot hear clearly when someone speaks with a heavy accent and sound is only in 1 ear. Airpods are a game changer and if the battery dies every 4 months I'll STILL be throwing money at them non-stop, there is no question.

OK, but literally none of that really matters and is only you justifying the cost to yourself. A dongle and $19.99 Apple Earbuds are absolutely fine. $199 is not warranted.
[doublepost=1565639366][/doublepost]
Maybe not hilarious, but very arbitrary. It's simpler to not have wires than it is to deal with wires.

If you want to be truly technical, the iPhone comes with EarPods (Earbuds were discontinued year ago.) A few years ago, the dongle was included too, but I that's no longer true.

$199 for AirPods which don't have wires that can get hung up on door knobs causing your $700 to $1000 phone to jump from its holster and crash to the floor. Seems like a worthy investment to me. Seems Apple can charge the $199 since there is much technology in them and people still buy them at that price.

Of course they sell at $199. They’d sell at $299 or $399 even most likely. Apple fans will pay whatever for the latest and greatest. Doesn’t mean it is a warranted price point for level of convenience they provide. $199 is absolutely absurd, IMO. To each their own.

Mr D

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2007
OK, but literally none of that really matters and is only you justifying the cost to yourself. A dongle and $19.99 Apple Earbuds are absolutely fine. $199 is not warranted.
[doublepost=1565639366][/doublepost]

Of course they sell at $199. They’d sell at $299 or $399 even most likely. Apple fans will pay whatever for the latest and greatest. Doesn’t mean it is a warranted price point for level of convenience they provide. $199 is absolutely absurd, IMO. To each their own.

The thing is your think your valuation based on your economic standing means everyone else is ridiculous/douchey.

That, makes you the ignorant one.

If $200 is not warranted, then it wouldn’t sell well. In fact it sells at a historical rate, so maybe your valuation of convenience is just cheap, because my guess is, you value yourself the same way.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
The thing is your think your valuation based on your economic standing means everyone else is ridiculous/douchey.

That, makes you the ignorant one.

If $200 is not warranted, then it wouldn’t sell well. In fact it sells at a historical rate, so maybe your valuation of convenience is just cheap, because my guess is, you value yourself the same way.

I don’t believe people generally understand the value of $199 nowadays, to be honest. But that’s a whole other topic to discuss. $199 for earbuds is not worth it in any universe, the short benefit of noise cancellation doesn’t outweigh the increased cost from $19 earbuds and IMO the supposed benefits you listed are exaggerated and overstated because they are still primarily used for listening to music. And then you have the whole inconvenience of having to charge them too. It’s a mess of a product designed solely to increase consumer dependence on unnecessary electronics, by creating a false “need” in the market.

TheWatchfulOne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
Apparently it does matter. And a dongle and EarPods are not just fine. My ears aren't good enough to discern much difference in the sound quality between AirPods and EarPods, but getting rid of the wires was enough to make a difference for me.

Apple used to produce a bluetooth headset for iPhone which I had and enjoyed. It started at $149 (I think) and later was reduced to $99. Then it was discontinued. I wished for them to release an updated version. After the battery died permanently, I got a Jabra, which was very ugly and not very well integrated with iOS. Then Apple fulfilled my wish in the most unexpected way. Since a single AirPod will perform the function of a dedicated bluetooth headset. I paid $160 for 1st generation AirPods. They only cost $10 more than the original Apple Bluetooth Headset. And with AirPods you get two ear pieces and a charging case. And the sound quality is noticeably better, even to my ears.

So, if $199 is too much for wireless earbuds with high quality sound, then why was it not too much for a single ear piece with barely passable sound? (I seem to recall you could spend $199 for any number of bluetooth headsets.)

Apple fans will pay whatever for the latest and greatest.
That's not what I hear regarding the new Pro Display and its optional stand. And I don't necessarily think those are over priced. Even if they are outside my budget.

$199 is absolutely absurd, IMO. To each their own.
Show me an equivalent or better product for a lower price.

liftedpsd2010

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2017
Can’t believe all the hate for the AirPods. I never thought I’d get them but I bought some 3 months ago and love them. Btw if you buy them at Walmart you can buy the warranty. No way are these batteries lasting 3 years. So for 20 bucks I can get a new set is updated AirPods every other year. Win win for me.

jaredlipsitz

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
I don’t believe people generally understand the value of $199 nowadays, to be honest. But that’s a whole other topic to discuss. $199 for earbuds is not worth it in any universe, the short benefit of noise cancellation doesn’t outweigh the increased cost from $19 earbuds and IMO the supposed benefits you listed are exaggerated and overstated because they are still primarily used for listening to music. And then you have the whole inconvenience of having to charge them too. It’s a mess of a product designed solely to increase consumer dependence on unnecessary electronics, by creating a false “need” in the market.

The value of $199 differs person to person. But anyway, back to your $49.99 price point - how do you get to that?

TheWatchfulOne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
And then you have the whole inconvenience of having to charge them too.
It's not at all inconvenient to charge them. When the AirPods are not in use, they are in the case, which is where they would be even if the case didn't charge them, which it does. As for the case, I plug it in overnight maybe... once a week?

You on the other hand have the inconvenience of having to untangle those wires every time you want to use them. Unless you found a way to disable the built-in auto tangle feature? :D

Reactions: liftedpsd2010

liftedpsd2010

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2017
The one thing that surprises me the most about AirPods is how insanely fast they charge. If my AirPods run out mid day I can charge them for 10 minutes and they last the rest of the day.

Logicalboard

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2019

$$$$?! For living in Massachusetts! Wow I guess I never noticed how crazy the living price had gotten. Lmao that’s funny to me. Now whenever I see people out in public that live in Boston, I’ll think they look even more douchey than I did before.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
$$$$?! For living in Massachusetts! Wow I guess I never noticed how crazy the living price had gotten. Lmao that’s funny to me. Now whenever I see people out in public that live in Boston, I’ll think they look even more douchey than I did before.

I actually live in San Diego now, and it’s way more douchey! Spoon-fed millennials everywhere you look! And lots and lots of AirPods from no one who understands how absurd they are for $199.

jaredlipsitz

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
I actually live in San Diego now, and it’s way more douchey! Spoon-fed millennials everywhere you look! And lots and lots of AirPods from no one who understands how absurd they are for $199.
Making statements you can’t back up is pretty douchey too. Remind me how you got to your recommended price point?

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Making statements you can’t back up is pretty douchey too. Remind me how you got to your recommended price point?

It was just an off-handed suggestion. It’s a little more than double what you can get Apple’s wired buds for. Maybe $69.99 if you really want to push the price. Other manufacturers are now offering similar products and they are nowhere near the $199.00 Apple has set. In my mind they chose that price in order to create the market. Set it too low, and nobody will think it’s a new necessary life extension. Set it higher and it gives the allure of “premium” and deeply “necessary” tech that you absolutely must own. It’s a psychological manipulation trick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.