Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
LOL omg those descriptions at top are amazing! "Good for" "better" "best"...
we live in a world where 100mbps isn't considered much anymore!
For those of us that remember 300 baud and thought 2400 baid was amazing I find it humorous that 100 is considered slow.

Reactions: deeddawg

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Verizon FIOS Gigabit is $79.99 and comes with cable channels.

What am I missing that AT&T thinks will get people to pay more than that for just data?

Verizon bailed on New Hampshire awhile ago and I pay $65 (with taxes) for legacy 30M fiber internet with no cable channels.

I could care less about the Apple TV but 100M fiber internet for $50 (taxes extra) got my interest.

I need to check on availability but I doubt it includes New Hampshire :(.

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
Internet service with data caps is good for nothing. It doesn’t matter if it’s 100 mb or gigabit. 1 TB is NOTHING! Just two Xbox One X games already use around 200 GB. And those of us streaming a bunch of 4K DV/HDR10 content will blow through that amount in just over a week. And that’s just for entertainment.

I have no much idea how data I consume since I’ve always had unlimited data in NYC since my dialup AOL 2.5 days (thank God no Comcast in NYC!). But it’s definitely a couple dozen TB if not more.

sterlingindigo

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2007
East Lansing
Good luck streaming your 4K when the installer plugs in your modem to the fuggen phone line and tells you that although fiber is at the street, it hasn’t come up the driveway yet. Someday it will though, so just sign the contract and wait...it’ll come.

Fiestaman

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2009
The tp tier has no caps, and if you are liek me and use 5TB or more a month it's a better deal than the 300 since an unlimited cap of 100 or 300 is an additional $30, making a comparable pricing structure 80 - 100 - 90.

I get around 200 - 300 mbs via my Orbi all through my house. Haven't tried a ethernet connection yet.

5TB is a low month for me. 20TB is more like it. All of that data is run through a VPN as well because screw AT&T and their DPI nonsense.

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
Suburb ATL - 1TB limit Comcast Coaxial ISP!:mad:

Can buy the unlimited version, but no fiber optic in the pipeline. Fake GB service promised.:rolleyes:

Options - only AT&T, non fiber optic.:mad::mad::mad:

Staying with OTA/TiVo and streaming.:cool:

Wonderful world of high bandwidth online gaming - not going there.:(

EssentialGadget

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2013
actual speeds. It's real fiber. I have AT&T Fiber myself and have tested it at over 1 Gbps up and down to non-AT&T servers. Now, if only I could figure out why DirecTV on demand / PPV channels still buffer for many minutes when the box is hard wired directly to the AT&T gateway. So your mileage may vary.

I live in Houston and have been on ATT Fiber for a couple of months. Fantastic service. I regularly get 920 down/ 940 up wired. Just tested and am getting 918/918.

No data limits.

On google wifi pucks I get 380/380. Sometimes higher - can be lower if further from pucks.

Highly recommend.

spacemnspiff

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
MD
ATT seems to more expensive than providers in MD. I switch between Comcast and Verizon FIOS when the promotions ends. I was paying $50/mo for Comcast Blast Tier (250mbps), and I switched to Verizon FIOS paying $35/mo (100mbps).

Verizon is offering Gig for $65/mo if I switch to that plan. Internet only plans are finally getting cheaper.

kaufeenx

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Has anyone with AT&T already tried to call and get a free device? Just looking to see if I did, would I be wasting my time?

lederermc

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
Seattle
actual speeds. It's real fiber. I have AT&T Fiber myself and have tested it at over 1 Gbps up and down to non-AT&T servers. Now, if only I could figure out why DirecTV on demand / PPV channels still buffer for many minutes when the box is hard wired directly to the AT&T gateway. So your mileage may vary.
The Directv STB is crappy 20th century hardware. My Genie takes 60 seconds to boot.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I wonder if the 300Mbps and the 1000 Mbps are actual speeds or if this is branded similar to AT&T 5G

Last I looked, I get a Speedtest result of 950Mbps on my AT&T fiber connection.

Good enough?
[doublepost=1549992637][/doublepost]
Data cap = no sale.

The gigabit service has no data cap.

You can also buy removal of the data cap for the 100 & 300Mbps services if you wish, though for the price you may as well just go to the gigabit level.
[doublepost=1549992719][/doublepost]
ATT seems to more expensive than providers in MD. I switch between Comcast and Verizon FIOS when the promotions ends. I was paying $50/mo for Comcast Blast Tier (250mbps), and I switched to Verizon FIOS paying $35/mo (100mbps).

Verizon is offering Gig for $65/mo if I switch to that plan. Internet only plans are finally getting cheaper.

Check for local/regional promos. I'm paying $70/mo for gigabit.
[doublepost=1549992937][/doublepost]
Internet service with data caps is good for nothing. It doesn’t matter if it’s 100 mb or gigabit. 1 TB is NOTHING!

The gigabit service doesn't have a data cap. You can buy removal of the cap on the 100 and 300 levels if you wish, but may as well just to go gigabit.

Not everyone plays xbox games though, and using streaming TV we rarely peg more than 300-500GB in a month. Different folks have different needs.

Last edited:

JLOBRO

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2019
That's because...
  1. People love free stuff.
  2. AT&T is a junk company that doesn't give a rip about keeping customers.
[doublepost=1549916362][/doublepost]

Their fiber optic cables are made from braided unicorn manes. 1000Mbps is the minimum speed you will see.

Yeah, that's incorrect. on the "300" plan, the MOST you will see is 300mbps up or down, and the "1000" plan the most you will see is 940mbps, stated multiple times on ATT website itself.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
The plans seem to be capped. And worth noting! see below as they mention in their details.

Screw you and your data caps ATT. Hard pass.

No data cap at the gigabit tier -- and you can purchase removal of the cap at the lower tiers, though for the cost you may as well go to the gigabit tier.

https://www.att.com/help/internet/usage.html

BTW - in my area the only other provider is Comcast, who also has a 1TB data cap, even at the gigabit level. Costs $50/mo to remove the cap. Plus we all know how wonderful Comcrap's customer service is, right?

I suppose one could just go back to a dialup ISP, no worries about a 1TB cap there.

DBroncoMCG

macrumors newbie
Thanks for the article. Went on line and Chatted to find out we can have the 1000 offer completed by the end of the month as Fiber is just becoming available in our area. Hopefully going from 50 to 1000 on fiber will be a marked improvement. Thanks MacRumors.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Thanks for the article. Went on line and Chatted to find out we can have the 1000 offer completed by the end of the month as Fiber is just becoming available in our area. Hopefully going from 50 to 1000 on fiber will be a marked improvement. Thanks MacRumors.

It is, though depending on your devices you might see 300Mbps over wifi. that's what I generally see with my MBP, though I do see more like 950Mbps when on wired ethernet.

The really big difference was that the gigabit down is also gigabit UP. Comcast was also asynchronous speeds, much slower upload than down -- AT&T fiber is synchronous, same speed up as down. BIG difference uploading photos or for cloud backups.

Ah yeah, for the AT&T haters, sure AT&T sucks as a company. I try not to deal with them any more than I have to.

Thing is - my Internet access choices are AT&T or Comcast. That's it. No Verizon. No Google. No magic unicorn farts.

On the other hand, my AT&T fiber internet bill is flat. No fees. No taxes. Just the service cost. That's all. Kinda refreshing.

r8ders2k

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2009
FWIW, I live about a half mile from Apple Park and AT&T Fiber is not available. Hopefully, it will be as AT&T pricing is going to be about half the cost of Comcast Xfinity Gigabit service with the cap removal.

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
For AT&T to place data caps on any plans tells me they either really suck at managing their network, or they are greedy FN bastards. No home internet service should have a cap. Sure, you can go with the 1000 plan for $20 more (an idiot wouldn't since 1 TB is the limit on lower plans). But this practice won't stop for them and I'm willing to bet they will place one on the 1000 plan or greatly increase the pricing on it at a later date. Remember what they did on cell service. Additionally, other internet providers may catch on to this practice.

AT&T can keep their "free 4K" and stick it where the sun doesn't shine. They are betting with it, fools who buy the lower tier plans will quickly go over and they will make up their cost in the first month.

For those who say they don't know what they use in a month - check the advanced settings of your router. it may show traffic usage like mine does. Based on current stats, I'm about 200MB over 1 TB / month currently and don't feel I'm a heavy user.

Edited to add: Then the question is "how do they measure data"? is it down, or down/up. If down/up - which wouldn't surprise me, then whoa!

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
For AT&T to place data caps on any plans tells me they [...] are greedy FN bastards.

You realize this isn't a surprise to anyone, right? :)

Where I live, a major metro suburb area, I have two choices for ISP - AT&T or Comcast. That's it.

Both have 1TB data caps, *except* AT&T removes the cap at the gigabit tier. Comcast has a cap at the gigabit tier - unless you pay an exorbitant additional charge.

So sure, yeah AT&T svcks. Comcast svcks worse tho, so I'm with AT&T. The service is actually very solid, none of the regular outages I used to have with Comcast. Plus, bringing fiber into my all they way inside to my backboard for no installation cost was pretty cool.

Lutan

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2019
Has anyone gotten this reward yet. I think it may be a bait and switch. I ordered Internet 300 Fiber on Feb 4th for a home I haven't moved in yet so I could take advantage of this offer. I also added a digital phone. The checkout page offered me two choices for the reward code, GET4KTV or GET50 (for a $50 VISA card) but who would want that? I used the GET4KTV code and the checkout confirmed that I would be getting the Apple 4K TV reward. However it also said I would be getting a $50 card for ordering online. Seems there was a second offer. The service was installed Feb 11. Here it is a month since my order and I got an email to claim the $50 card but no word about the Apple TV. After spending several hours on the phone and getting different stories, I was connected to a supervisor who also had several stories. First it seems they have to way to know what code I used in Checkout. ATT said they were going to send me an invoice showing what I ordered. They never did. Instead they send me two emails to "check my order" but the link took me to an error page. The supervisor said that I wouldn't be guaranteed an Apple TV. It was while supplies lasted. But here this article about the offer is dated Feb 11 and I ordered Feb 4. Then the supervisor said I wasn't qualified because I also ordered the digital phone, it was for people who ordered Internet ONLY. I read the small print before I ordered, there wasn't anything about that. But mysteriously there is no way to check what the terms were. Other than this article and a few others, I can't find anything on the web about the offer on an ATT page. Even the wayback machine has broken images on the internet page for the day I ordered. The wayback machine doesn't have entries for the link in the article. In fact that link doesn't exist. I'm pretty angry. I filed a complaint with the California Utilities Commission. Plus the ATT modem, BGW 210-700, has horrible wi-fi. The installer guy showed me 300Mbs speedtest his phone. To bad he was right next to the modem. In the next room you get 50. It's about 15 at the door where I just got a Ring doorbell. Most speedtests fail due to a latency error. I would not recommend.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.