Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Students have a chance to save some money on the MacBook Pro this week in a new limited-time sale at Best Buy. The sale offers up to $400 off the 512GB 15-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, as well as a few 13-inch models of the latest MacBook Pro.

student-deals-430.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Best Buy. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

These discounts are the best prices currently available for each model, so if you're a student or parent of a student who isn't part of Best Buy's program, you can sign up for Student Deals on the retailer's website. After you're enrolled you can check on current Student Deals on the Member Offers page, and purchase the MacBook Pros in this week's sale.

Note that when you're going to purchase the MacBook Pro, you'll need to apply the Student Deals offer during the checkout process. In your cart, you'll see a section titled "My Best Buy Member Rewards" at the bottom left of the page, and an "Apply" button. Best Buy says that the sale will last through Saturday, May 4.

Best Buy's Student Deals Sale

[*]13-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD - $1,499.99, down from $1,799.99 ($300 off)
[*]13-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD - $1,699.99, down from $1,999.99 ($300 off)
[*]15-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD - $2,049.99, down from $2,399.99 ($350 off)
[*]15-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD - $2,399.99, down from $2,799.99 ($400 off) Head to our full Deals Roundup for even more sales and bargains.

Article Link: Deals Spotlight: Best Buy Offers MacBook Pro Discounts for Students (Up to $400 Off)

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
So many sales happening... are refreshes on the horizon? Or is it just Apple testing out a new pricing model?

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Aren't these all still prone to keyboard issues even after the membrane fix or whatever it was? Might be wary of buying one.

Reactions: BWhaler

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Aren't these all still prone to keyboard issues even after the membrane fix or whatever it was? Might be wary of buying one.

They are still prone to keyboard issues along with other issues (T2, etc).

It's still a nice laptop while under warranty (i.e. get AppleCare+ and plan to sell and replace the laptop before the warranty ends).

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
That and most sales only seem to have the 8 gb of memory variants on sale. One of the annoyances of soldered memory....
Two of the computers listed above have 16gb memory.

A student sale at the end of the school year seems odd though. Especially for those of us without college aged children.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
What is to prevent a non-student faking that they are going to school for the better pricing ?
I don’t know. I tried reading the fine print about that but gave up after seeing you need the app. I assumed one would have to sign up with a school email address.

compuguy1088

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
In the Sub-Basement of Solitude
Two of the computers listed above have 16gb memory.

A student sale at the end of the school year seems odd though. Especially for those of us without college aged children.
Yes, two of the models on sale have 16 gb of memory. If you're wanting 16 gbs of memory on the 13", I guess you're out of luck in this sale...

Last edited:

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
There are some things in life you just expect...
Unconditional love from a parent.
Tap water flowing from a faucet.
Complete evacuation of your colon after a hot cup of coffee.

And...
A post from BWhaler on a laptop sale thread!

Lol. I would hate to disappoint my many fans with silence.

Ok, serious question for discussion:

Seems like there are quite a few sales. More than usual.

Apple dumping inventory to prep for WWDC refresh with a new keyboard? Or bumping sales because word is out on the junk keyboards and enterprise, academic, and consumer sales are way down?

Or something else? Or nothing at all?

(And yes, junk unreliable products at any price are a ripoff. Just mentioning that for the new forum readers.)

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011

Apple dumping inventory to prep for WWDC refresh with a new keyboard? Or bumping sales because word is out on the junk keyboards and enterprise, academic, and consumer sales are way down?

(And yes, junk unreliable products at any price are a ripoff. Just mentioning that for the new forum readers.)

I’m actually in total agreement with you, I’ll not buy a MacBook until the keyboard issue is sorted. The response by another forum user—buy it with apple care and expect to sell it when apple care is up—is rubbish. I’ve got a 6 year old MacBook Pro that I would gladly update, but Apple isn’t getting my money until they sort the keyboard issues.

Also, I’ve said it before...Best Buy (or other 3rd party) sales are not indicative of new products coming soon. How many years did we wait for a new iPad Mini, only to see it go on sale multiple times at Best Buy?

Xal3nth

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2019

It isn't uncommon for major retailers to dump inventory for the sake of refreshing their stock or preparing for new releases.

My guess would be that BB would rather run a sale to move inventory at a lower margin than sit on it at the increase profit margin.
The increase in sales also looks good on quarterly reports when a pending investor meeting is coming up, especially where new chair votes will be held.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.