Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Parallels this week debuted a new promo bundle for both new and current users, offering a chance to buy or upgrade to Parallels Desktop 14, and then get ten other Mac apps for free. New owners can purchase Parallels Desktop 14 for $79.99, and existing users can upgrade to the new software for $49.99 (both prices represent Home & Student use).

mega-mac-app-bundle-2.jpg
With these purchases you'll gain access to the following ten Mac apps for free (note that some of the apps are one-year subscriptions and not lifetime licenses):
[*]1Password Families ($60 value) - Securely store you and your family's most needed passwords.
[*]Pocket Premium ($45 value) - Save articles to read later with a permanent archive, unlimited storage, and no ads.
[*]Painter Essentials 6 ($50 value) - Create blank canvas and photo art creations using realistic art tools.
[*]Acronis True Image 2019 Cyber Protection Premium ($100 value) - Securely backup your personal information with 1TB of cloud storage.
[*]PDF Expert 2.4 ($80 value) - Modify text, change images, create hyperlinks in PDF documents, and more.
[*]WinZip Mac 6.5 Pro ($50 value) - Zip and unzip large files instantly with simple drag-and-drop controls.
[*]Parallels Toolbox ($20 value) - A toolbox of useful features like password protecting files, file copying to iPhone, screen recordings, and more.
[*]Parallels Access ($20 value) - Access all of your Mac's apps and files from your iPhone.
[*]TrackOFF ($60 value) - Protect your data from invasive online tracking.
[*]Cylance Smart Antivirus ($69 value) - Detects and prevents malware attacks on your Mac. Parallels Desktop 14 itself is software that allows users to switch between Mac and Windows without needing to restart their computer. This allows for easy sharing of files and folders between Mac and Windows applications, seamless access to Windows apps on Mac, and more.

The Parallels promo bundle will be live for the next week, expiring on the evening of Thursday, February 28. If you're interested, head to the Parallels website to check out more information about each app in the bundle, and place your order before the end of the month.

For more information on this week's sales, head to our full Deals Roundup.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Parallels. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Article Link: Deals Spotlight: Buy or Upgrade to Parallels Desktop 14 and Get 10 Mac Apps for Free

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
This would be nice to take advantage of but I upgraded to Parallels 14 last Friday. I wonder if they’d allow me to take advantage of this.

ibphd

macrumors member
Sorry, I’ll pass. This company has a business model that is akin to robbery. I tried their program but frankly the constant minor upgrades with minimal improvements was too expensive. Plus, the constant major upgrades where full price was charged, again with minimal change, was a very expensive joke. The entire upgrade cycle seems designed to maximize income.

telepheedian

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2019
Does anyone know how the 1Password account is delivered? I just bought 1Password a month ago, but this wouldn't be a bad deal if I could redeem it later or stack it onto the existing time I've already paid for.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Sorry, I’ll pass. This company has a business model that is akin to robbery. I tried their program but frankly the constant minor upgrades with minimal improvements was too expensive. Plus, the constant major upgrades where full price was charged, again with minimal change, was a very expensive joke. .

They do paid upgrades once a year. And it's discounted if you have a prior version. And they aren't required.

The entire upgrade cycle seems designed to maximize income

Of course it is. They aren't running a charity. It's a quality piece of software that a lot of people need to get their work done (myself included). They can't keep the doors open if they are giving the software away.

Romeo_Nightfall

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2018
Vienna
1Password offer is only good for new users. :( As a long time 1Password user, that was kind of disappointing!

Then become a new user, where’s the problem?
[doublepost=1550766745][/doublepost]This is quite a good package especially for that greedy company.
Unfortunately I don’t need it, but would buy at that price. 5$ a month for real useful tools.

NomadicTy

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2007
I might go back to needing a virtualization software. The additional applications in offer look nice, but I already have the ones that I want.

So which one is better nowadays? Parallels or VMWare?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I might go back to needing a virtualization software. The additional applications in offer look nice, but I already have the ones that I want.

I'm also curious as running a Windows 10 instance in VirtualBox was slower than ****. Is Parallels or VMWare any faster?

Reactions: jagooch

ThatGuyInLa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2012
SC
not much changed with the software. they add features but it’s mostly stuff you’ll find you don’t really need. DX support is still stuck vetsion 10 as well.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I mean. What does this parallels do differently from parallels 13

Besides the typical 'performance improvements',

* Adds support for Microsoft Ink (Microsoft's Pen) to edit in Microsoft Office.
* Can configure the MacBook Pro Touch Bar to be function keys or any key arrangement you choose inside Microsoft programs.
* Supports Dark Mode
* Can now use Mac Photos inside Windows.

So, if you don't need any of that stuff, don't upgrade.

Reactions: rmariboe

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
They do paid upgrades once a year. And it's discounted if you have a prior version. And they aren't required.

Of course it is. They aren't running a charity. It's a quality piece of software that a lot of people need to get their work done (myself included). They can't keep the doors open if they are giving the software away.

I’d pay, but my understanding was that to use basic features, like the Touch Bar, it’s $99.99 a year. That’s absurd. I expect to pay once and upgrade when a new version of Windows requires it.

No one is asking them to give their product away for free. But, if I won’t roll over for Adobe their system utility (and that’s all it is as far as I can tell) haven’t a shot in Windows Vista of getting me to subscribe.

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
I switched between VMWare Fusion and Parallels Desktop in the past few years. Did the after Thanksgiving sales deal last year with 2 Pro yearly licenses.

OVERTASK

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2013
∞o
Does anyone know how the 1Password account is delivered? I just bought 1Password a month ago, but this wouldn't be a bad deal if I could redeem it later or stack it onto the existing time I've already paid for.
"This offer is only available to new users of 1Password."

EDIT: Someone answered already

I'm wondering if I can just create a new vault and transfer

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Sorry, I’ll pass. This company has a business model that is akin to robbery. I tried their program but frankly the constant minor upgrades with minimal improvements was too expensive. Plus, the constant major upgrades where full price was charged, again with minimal change, was a very expensive joke. The entire upgrade cycle seems designed to maximize income.
You had the option, of your own volition, to upgrade or not. You not liking the fact that the company charges for updates, even though the product still runs Windows well (in most cases) without upgrading each time, is not akin to robbery. Not even close.

Don't know how your post got 6 votes, because you and the other 6 people who voted need to look upon the correct usage of the word robbery.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
I’d pay, but my understanding was that to use basic features, like the Touch Bar, it’s $99.99 a year. That’s absurd. I expect to pay once and upgrade when a new version of Windows requires it.

Yeah....that’s not a thing. There is a version that’s $99/year, but it’s the pro version meant for developers. The basic version is either $79 outright or $49 for an upgrade.

Reactions: rmariboe

wesley96

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
The big reason I moved away from Parallels was because the yearly major version update that more or less coincided with a new major macOS version, and Parallels would not work well with the new macOS version if you don't do the paid update. If you skip a year, it might still work, but by year two or three, it might not work at all. So you had to pay Parallels every one (or two, if you can manage) year if you wanted to keep using it on the latest macOS version. It was essentially a subscription model.

I wonder if this is still the case. If not, I might consider going back.

ibphd

macrumors member

I don’t have time to debate. i suggest that u review the upgrade hx of this program, especially review versions 8 - 10. i bailed during the Version 10 not compatible with windows 10 fiasco. Those releases should be subtitled Software **** Show. By the way, i was a user since version 2.5.

Reactions: Marekul

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
You had the option, of your own volition, to upgrade or not. You not liking the fact that the company charges for updates, even though the product still runs Windows well (in most cases) without upgrading each time, is not akin to robbery. Not even close.

Don't know how your post got 6 votes, because you and the other 6 people who voted need to look upon the correct usage of the word robbery.

I will not speak on his behalf but there was a version of parallels a few years ago , I believe it was 12, that was marketed as having insane improvements to graphics performance where in their promo materials the game overwatch was played without issue on a macbook pro. At the time I had a 2015 Mbp with 370x graphics which was the more expensive model. I purchased the upgrade solely for the purpose of not wanting to dual boot every time I wanted to play overwatch. It performed horribly. Areas of the game not loading, very low fps and input latency. Literally unplayable.

Each year they release a new upgrade claiming 40% speed improvements which are simply unrealistic. And they constantly market to you if you don't upgrade. It might not be robbery but it's misleading at best.

I know you'll probably have a reply defending the company, but I've moved on a few years ago to virtualbox and couldn't be happier.

rmariboe

macrumors regular
May 27, 2015
Copenhagen, Denmark
Apparently a matter of religion, mostly.

If you skip a year, it might still work, but by year two or three, it might not work at all. So you had to pay Parallels every one (or two, if you can manage) year if you wanted to keep using it on the latest macOS version. It was essentially a subscription model.

I wonder if this is still the case. If not, I might consider going back.
That hasn't been the case for for me for some years now - though you won't be able to run the latest version of macOS in a VM of an older Parallels...

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Yeah....that’s not a thing. There is a version that’s $99/year, but it’s the pro version meant for developers. The basic version is either $79 outright or $49 for an upgrade.
I don’t see that. This page says you need the subscription pro version to get “Customize Touch Bar for Windows applications”. I don’t consider that a feature exclusive for developers. I would expect an $80 utility to support custom Touch Bar controls. I can’t think of any reason for this being a pro feature other than to get people to move to the subscription option.

That said, there is no reason for developers or professionals to subscribe to software either.

Reactions: jagooch
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.