Deals Spotlight: Get $100 Off the AmpliFi HD Mesh Wi-Fi System Through New Upgrade Program

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 14, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In the wake of Apple's decision to end its AirPort line of routers, many users continue to hunt for the best possible Wi-Fi networking solution. Ubiquiti Networks' AmpliFi routers have been some of the more popular mesh systems on the market in recent years, and this month the company is offering a notable $100 discount on its AmpliFi HD Mesh Wi-Fi System, as long as you're willing to go through a bit of a process to get it.

[​IMG]
    Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with AmpliFi. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

To take part in AmpliFi's new upgrade program, you'll have to take a picture of an existing, non-AmpliFi mesh Wi-Fi system and send it into the company with an explanation as to why you want to upgrade to AmpliFi. Once you do so, you can get the AmpliFi HD Mesh Wi-Fi System for $240.00, down from $340.00. There are four total ways you can do this, which we've outlined with specifics below:

Email

1. Send a message to social@ubnt.com
    2. Attach a picture of your current, non-AmpliFi mesh Wi-Fi system unplugged
    3. In the email, explain why you want to upgrade to AmpliFi
    Twitter/Instagram

1. Post a photo of your current, non-AmpliFi mesh Wi-Fi system unplugged
    2. In the post, explain why you want to upgrade to AmpliFi
    3. Use the hashtag #AmpliFiUpgrade and tag @AmpliFiHome
    Facebook

1. Post a photo of your current, non-AmpliFi mesh Wi-Fi system unplugged in the comments of this post
    2. Along with the photo, explain why you want to upgrade to AmpliFi
    After you complete one of these tasks, AmpliFi will get in touch with you through DM or email and provide you with an exclusive $100 discount code that you can use to buy the AmpliFi HD Mesh Wi-Fi System on AmpliFi.com. Note that this upgrade program discount code is only for the AmpliFi HD, and can not be used to purchase the AmpliFi HD Gamer's Edition, AmpliFi Instant System, or another product on AmpliFi's website.

The AmpliFi HD Mesh Wi-Fi System comes with a router base station and two wireless super mesh points, which provide maximum Wi-Fi coverage throughout your home. AmpliFi does sell the HD Mesh Router on its own for $149.99 (without the mesh points), but that is not available in the upgrade program.

[​IMG]

In total, the AmpliFi HD System will be priced at $240.00 with the discount code, down from $340.00. As of writing, the AmpliFi HD is full-priced at all of the major retailers online, so this is currently the best discount on the router and definitely worth taking part in if you've been eyeing AmpliFi's products.

AmpliFi could also be of interest to eero users who are reconsidering their purchases following Amazon's acquisition of the mesh company. We've had the chance to test out all three of AmpliFi's main consumer routers and came away impressed across the board, so be sure to check out our full review right here, and then find out more about AmpliFi on the company's website.

Those interested should note that the AmpliFi upgrade program will close on February 28, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. ET.

Article Link: Deals Spotlight: Get $100 Off the AmpliFi HD Mesh Wi-Fi System Through New Upgrade Program

2. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Is the AirPort considered a mesh WiFi system? Because I've never heard it referred to that way.

This brand is one of my top choices now that eero is out the window. However, I imagine the timing of this sale is to reduce inventory ahead of a WiFi 6 version. That is what I have been waiting for. I already have gigabit in my neighborhood and want something that is future proof.

3. markaceto macrumors member

markaceto

This 2016 product, and all other mesh systems, are actually slower than the 2013 Airport Extreme in a typical apartment. Mesh is only better in a large home, especially one with multi floors. There's nothing future proof about this.

4. kycophpd macrumors 6502a

kycophpd

Yeah is the Airport considered mesh? If not, this article does nothing “in the wake of Apple’s decision” to stop making routers.

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Think I will stick with my AirPort Extreme a little while longer. Not interested in jumping through hoops for this company.

6. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

7. coachgq macrumors member

I have wondered this same kind of thing. I have a 4,000 sq ft home with 2 floors, and a TV under a covered outdoor patio that has a streaming stick attached. I currently use 3 airport extreme .ac devices and 2 airport express .n devices to deliver internet in a mesh style. I was told at one point that my internet speed would be cut in half each step along the way. I pay for 250 down and get anywhere from 150-275 down on any of the speed tests I run. Would anyone consider moving to a mesh system if this were your scenario? I've been happy, but if I can get better coverage, I'm willing to look into that as well. Thanks for any advice.

8. markaceto macrumors member

markaceto

It's not which is why it's faster.

9. hortod1 macrumors regular

hortod1

That’s what I thought when I went with eero (future proof, more or less).

Then they sold out to Amazon.

The future seems to happen a lot sooner these days.

10. markaceto macrumors member

markaceto

Mesh might benefit your scenario. My recommendation would be to do what I did: order the system, and test the **** out of it. My understanding is the mesh system is slightly better than the old bridge (Apple) system.

What kills me is why Apple didn't just bake the old routers into Apple TV's. Add a USB port for time machine, and Bob's your uncle - 3 in 1! Then again, they'll probably kill those off next (when they become a subscriptions/services-only company).

11. zubikov macrumors member

I still think Netgear's Orbi mesh is a better deal at this point. Costco has a 3 component system on sale for $319 right now. There's a dedicated backbone channel in the Orbi that's crucial for good throughput. Also each mesh node on the Orbi comes with 3 ethernet ports. Reviews are also consistently pointing out that Orbi has the best area coverage per node. There's also a weatherproof outdoor node that you can buy if you want to extend the Orbi mesh outdoors. Anyways, the amplify is good, but I don't see it as good as the Orbi at the higher end prices.

Disclosure, I may have just ordered the Orbi kit a few days ago to replace a crappy Asus mesh.

12. jazz1 macrumors 68000

jazz1

The Orbi system worked way better than my Airport Extreme where I had two Airport extensions. The single Airport Extreme just could not cover my house. The Orbi covers my house, all the way out on my deck and beyond. And it is faster than my old Airport system. Unless Mediacom had a miracle the day I installed the Orbi :D.

Of course everyone's home/office is different. For me it was a huge upgrade.

13. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

I personally prefer and use just one Ubiquiti Unifi AP in my apartment, covers it easily, I also have the USG, cloudkey and 2 switches, one directly connected to fibre, works like a charm.
    I must say that the controller overwhelmed me in the beginning, not really stuff for beginners.
    The controller is getting better by the day.
    All for just about $ 150 more.

14. Le Big Mac macrumors 68030

Le Big Mac

Isn't the bolded the problem though? I've looked at UniFi, and it seems really robust and better in some ways than Amplifi, but you really need to dig into the setup to get it going, whereas Amplifi seems to be much closer to an out of the box solution.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 14, 2019 ---
    I may take one for the team and take a picture of my TC and Airport express and see if they give me the discount. Will update if I do with results.

15. imola.zhp macrumors 6502a

imola.zhp

How do I back my mac's up to this? I've been using Time capsules for about 10 years now.

16. cmaier macrumors G5

Love my AmpliFi setup. But this is one hella convoluted offer.

17. JamesScheller macrumors newbie

JamesScheller

I need to second this.

The controller software is a bit more complicated, but if you've ever had to mess around seriously inside your router's web interface, it's not really that big of a leap technically. There's a number of good YouTube videos.

My house is larger, and a lot of metal framing. WiFi before was dreadful, and I was constantly having to cycle airplane mode moving from upstairs to downstairs to re-attach to the access points. I think I lived with it so long because I trained myself.

I just did the UniFi setup with two access points in January. EVERYTHING works better. No weird pauses in NetFlix. I can wander the house without touching WiFi settings or airplane mode on my iPhone or laptop. I mean, I probably save 3-5 minutes a day compared to the stupidity I was dealing with before. Biggest regret is not having done this a year or two before.

18. Braderunner macrumors 6502a

If you want to put it on sale...put it on sale. Don't play games. Next.

19. Moakesy macrumors regular

Moakesy

What makes you believe this, as I have this system and it transformed my wifi.

Speeds and coverage both improved massively.

20. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

I had a dream…. that Apple brought back its Airport Extreme Routers line and then improved it with new "mesh" features.

And then the cat woke me up.

21. manhattanboy macrumors 6502a

manhattanboy

For anyone on the fence, if Apple were to make an updated router this is about how I would imagine it.

The number one feature that I love about this ubiquity router is that it will automatically download updates and then display on its touch screen that it is ready to install.

Router security is probably the number one thing buyers should be looking at these days. I love my AirPort Extreme but can’t remember the last time it received any type of security update. I’m pretty sure my airport has now been pawnd by some malicious actor.

22. dewalt macrumors newbie

To be a true “mesh” system, you really need to implement 802.11r, k and v. Amplifi only supports r but k supposedly is coming. Eero supports all three. Not sure about netgear. They’re wireless standards created to reduce the latency of switching to a new access point. I have Eeros now and I can be on a VOIP call and walk around the house switching APs without the call dropping.

Of course devices need to support them as well. Fortunately all recent Apple products do.

I actually plan on switching to Ubiquiti’s unifi line because of their ability for multiple SSIDs. That’s going to be the next new thing in WiFi security. A separate SSID and VLAN for your IoT devices. Main reason - I can change my WiFi password occasionally. PITA to do it now.

23. burgman macrumors 68000

burgman

I just switched from Apple WiFi to Comcast router, i always split my devices up so all IoT and other slow stuff is on 2.4 everything else is on 5.0. I agree it’s a pain, I wonder what the average number of WiFi devices is now in homes.

24. entropys macrumors 6502

entropys

I think the amplifi HD is a more attractive solution, and the Orbi are frigging huge. That said, I just bought a set of Orbis because the price was just too good. bargainz. The Orbi RBK50 mesh gives me top speed achievable through my modem throughout my large house, two floors. Happy purchase. But man, the Orbis are big.

25. Mr X macrumors member

Mr X

Originally had the Orbi (yes they are ugly) and was great until a firmware update killed it. You can still see loads of issues in their support forums. One year with Amplifi and the whole system has been rock solid. Great system.