Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier in the week as part of our Cyber Monday coverage of software accessories, we shared a bundle deal of Mac software being offered by StackSocial. This bundle, called the Official Cyber Monday Mac Bundle, includes software like Parallels Desktop Pro and Luminar 4 and is priced at $42 exclusively for MacRumors readers.

cyber-monday-mac-bundle.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with some of these vendors. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

The sale is still going on, so if you're interested you can head over to StackSocial and enter the code RUMORS40 at checkout to see the bundle drop to $42.00 from $69.99. You'll have until next Wednesday, December 9 to take advantage of the StackSocial bundle deal.

In total there are 12 apps offered in the bundle, including software for editing photos, learning a new language, taking notes, optimizing your Mac's storage, managing files, staying organized, and more. We've collected all of the apps available in the bundle in the list below.
The Official Cyber Monday Mac Bundle

• Parallels Desktop Pro (1 year subscription) - Run thousands of Windows apps on
    your Mac without compromising on performance.
  • Luminar 4 - AI-powered photo editor for quick and efficient editing.
  • PDFpenPRO 12 - PDF editor with large resource of editing tools.
  • Goose VPN (lifetime subscription) - Stay safe and secure while browsing the Internet.
  • BusyCal 3 - Desktop calendar app with support for integrating with iCloud.
  • Movavi Screen Recorder 2021 - Take video screen captures on your Mac.
  • uTalk (lifetime subscription) - Learning language tool with over 140 languages to learn.
  • Edraw MindMaster - Professional-style brainstorming tool for taking down notes.
  • Gemini 2 - Easily delete duplicate files to free up space on your Mac.
  • Dropzone 4 Pro - Move, copy, upload, and do more with Dropzone's "swiss army knife" kit of tools.
  • ForkLift 3 - Powerful file manager with dual pane support.
  • Art Text 4 - Create professional logos and graphics.
As a note, remember to check the terms for each app for more information on the length of the license, eligibility for future upgrades, and more. Keep up with all of this week's best discounts on Apple products and related accessories in our dedicated Apple Deals roundup.

Article Link: Deals: StackSocial's Cyber Monday Mac Bundle Sale Continues With 12 Apps Priced at $42

saudor

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2011
Seems pretty weak this year. Parallels is lame. 1 year sub when vmware fusion is free for personal use/offers perpetual options for commercial use

Poltras

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2008
As usual, 1-2 door busters and a bunch of crap. Some of those apps are on Setapp. If you want Parallels and you didn't buy it yet this is worth it, but like usual most of these you'll never use.

Goose VPN has had no security or privacy audit, so take it with a grain of salt. Also apparently the app itself isn't that great. Review by TechRadar here (3 stars)
uTalk is a bunch of cards and games, not something like Duolingo with access to conversations. See a review here. Apparently the subscription doesn't cover ALL languages so you'd have to pay extra.

So I don't know how much I'd give for those 2 "lifetime subscriptions" apps. Their value will most likely not go up overtime.

Last edited:

vitamanic

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2020
It's unfortunate that the Parallels subscription is only for new customers, you can't add that year onto your existing plan. Otherwise I'd be all over this.

• Sad
Reactions: amartinez1660

SnacksGU

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2018
USA
I would potentially pay a little for Gemini 2 if its a lifetime license. PM me if someone has it for sale.

vitamanic

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2020
Looking at Luminar vs Pixelmator Pro for photo editing. Anyone have experience with both?
Luminar is a glorified Lightroom replacement with very basic tools. If you want to do any type of composition or design work you should look elsewhere. Pixelmator is... okay. Affinity Photo is miles better (just about a full-blown Photoshop replacement) for $50. Then of course there's always Photoshop itself.

Fowl

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2018
Luminar is a glorified Lightroom replacement with very basic tools. If you want to do any type of composition or design work you should look elsewhere.
Not quite. In fact Luminar is carving itself a niche for so-called "creative" photo effects, like background replacement, object removal, object-based enhancement, things like that.

vitamanic

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2020
Not quite. In fact Luminar is carving itself a niche for so-called "creative" photo effects, like background replacement, object removal, object-based enhancement, things like that.

Yeah, like Lightroom does! I absolutely stand behind the fact that one can’t expect to create compositions or do actual design work in it. The tools simply aren’t there. It’s purely aimed at retouching photos.

Fowl

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2018
Also, Luminar are about to release a new version, Luminar AI, the successor of 4. I wonder if the discount means no free upgrade.

amartinez1660

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2014
As usual, 1-2 door busters and a bunch of crap. Some of those apps are on Setapp. If you want Parallels and you didn't buy it yet this is worth it, but like usual most of these you'll never use.

Goose VPN has had no security or privacy audit, so take it with a grain of salt. Also apparently the app itself isn't that great. Review by TechRadar here (3 stars)
uTalk is a bunch of cards and games, not something like Duolingo with access to conversations. See a review here. Apparently the subscription doesn't cover ALL languages so you'd have to pay extra.

So I don't know how much I'd give for those 2 "lifetime subscriptions" apps. Their value will most likely not go up overtime.
Thank you so much for such a quick overview.

What about the movavi screen recorder and they file handler? Would those be work it?
Capturing on Mac is a bit convoluted when system sound needs to be captured too (had to go through a plug-in, iShowUcapture or something and it is irritating, have to switch to a specific MIDI out configuration for it to work).

amartinez1660

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2014
Seems pretty weak this year. Parallels is lame. 1 year sub when vmware fusion is free for personal use/offers perpetual options for commercial use
I have found that parallels come with this nifty toolbox that actually has gotten me by surprise... so many little “do-one-thing-only” programs mainly drag and drop driven; for example, “Convert To Video” I always have it open: when I capture a video (cmd shift 5) I just drag and drop the resulting move file to that small floating window and it will create a way less heavy mp4 parallel to same original file location. There’s also “download video” or audio where copy pasting from any YouTube, Vimeo, SoundCloud, etc services will trigger the download of it.
There’s an app launcher (launch a set of apps depending), for example, clicking that button could be configured to launch keynote, numbers and OneNote or photoshop/Lightroom/others
There’s also a take break every 90mins small apps, eject all devices, archive, unarchive, history based clipboard, a “magnets” like window handling, etc etc there are over 20+ little applications that I find a perfect replacement from some separate paid ones.

This and how seamlessly Mac and windows interoperability works I have found it magnificent.
Don’t know about the free options, but parallels in my opinion has delivered above and beyond.

my .002 cents.

ignatius345

macrumors 601
Aug 20, 2015
I haven't tried most of these apps but can vouch for BusyCal. It's the only Mac calendar app I've been able to find that will show you a full three months of your calendar one one screen. Obviously you need a big monitor to keep that legible, but it's really great for planning purposes. They've also been keeping pace with things like Zoom meeting appointment integration.

My only (very minor) gripe is that the default display can be a bit cluttered, but there are plenty of customization options to pare it down if you want. Worth it as a standalone purchase (not a subscription!) aside from this bundle.

HeadNews

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2020

I have to agree! Duolingo is amazing with conversations, for sure. See review here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.