Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Anker has introduced a trio of discounts on its newest USB-C chargers on Amazon today, offering up to 25 percent off these accessories. Shoppers should note that all three products require you to click an on-page coupon on Amazon, and afterwards you'll see the deal prices at checkout.

anker-green-image.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with some of these vendors. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

The sale starts with the GaNPrime 65W 3-Port USB-C Wall Charger for $44.99, down from $59.99. This one includes two USB-C ports and one USB-A port, and it supports iPhone fast charging.

Note: You need to clip the on-page coupon to get the discount.

Secondly, Anker has its GaNPrime 120W 3-Port USB-C Wall Charger for $75.99, down from $94.99. This device also has two USB-C ports and one USB-A port, with PowerIQ 4.0 technology for optimal fast charging.

Lastly is Anker's 140W USB-C Charger for $74.99, down from $99.99. This one only has one USB-C port and is aimed at MacBook Pro and MacBook Air charging.

Keep up with all of this week's best discounts on Apple products and related accessories in our dedicated Apple Deals roundup.

Article Link: Deals: Take Up to 25% Off Anker's New USB-C Wall Chargers

Last edited:

Eric_WVGG

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2016
gentrification fallout zone
I picked up one of those 120W chargers for my 16" MBP.

It has one huge bonus that I hadn't seen mentioned in reviews: it comes with this odd little suction cup gasket that secures it to the wall. At first I was a little annoyed with this — I really hate plastic waste and extra parts.

But then I remembered one of my use cases. When I travel, I tend to use all the ports in these chargers which causes additional weight, and sometimes I like to use the charger as a "shelf" to put an iPhone on top of. Often an old socket will mean the charger comes loose and falls.

Dang. This gasket is going to solve that. What a great little addition.

The long "stick" shape is also preferred as it only takes its one socket and doesn't block anything else from plugging in. Great charger. I'll probably lean toward Anker accessories for basically everything going forward, this level of thoughtfulness is just excellent.

tygurr

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2021
I've just bought one and I don't even need it lol.🤣

Can someone advise if I have just wasted my money or is it justified...

Reactions: AMagicianNamedJOBs

RAS2MR

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2021
Why would the biggest baddest charger only have one port?
Especially considering that for only $10 more that the Model 717 140-watt charger Anker has a 150-watt version (model 747) that has three outputs. But the 140-watt 717 model is currently 25% off and the 747 is only 10% off, so their effective price differential is more than that $10. Still, if I was in the market for that size/capacity charger I'd pick the 747 even at the price differential...

Reactions: ddtmm

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Why would the biggest baddest charger only have one port?
I'm guessing PD 3.1 is the reason. Maybe its PD chip doesn't work on multiports yet. And you need PD 3.1 to run 140 watt charging, but only the Macbook Pro 16 (M1 Pro/Max) and the Anker 737 power bank have 140 watt charging over standard USB-C.

I don't know if I should get a new charger with my M1 MBA. Does it make a big difference over the 30W charger included with the MBA?
The MBA only uses 30 watts unless it's the new M2 version with fast charging (which requires 60+ watts). The multiports is the convenient part of these new chargers but you also share the power.

Reactions: Cromulent

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I'm guessing PD 3.1 is the reason. Maybe its PD chip doesn't work on multiports yet. And you need PD 3.1 to run 140 watt charging, but only the Macbook Pro 16 (M1 Pro/Max) and the Anker 737 power bank have 140 watt charging over standard USB-C.

The MBA only uses 30 watts unless it's the new M2 version with fast charging (which requires 60+ watts). The multiports is the convenient part of these new chargers but you also share the power.

That is Anker's brand name for the newest generation of GaN chargers. And GaN (gallium nitride) is a type of material used to build chargers that run more efficiently in a smaller package than a traditional charger.
Thank you for the information.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I like Anker, but these prices are high even with a discount. Not just Anker, it seems all the usual charger companies have gone kind of crazy with pricing. Is GaN that much more expensive?

Reactions: compwiz1202

sdf

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2004
Just a reminder: If you look to your left and right and don't see a ground pin… it's you. These don't have a ground pin.

That makes them great for iPhones and iPads, but use care before plugging a MacBook Air/Pro into one. If you plug devices into USB-C that get power from the outlet, something needs to be grounded or it's you via the MacBook's metal case. Been through that; every time my inkjet printer advanced the paper it would send a little shock over USB, into my MacBook's metal case, and into my palms. It's not an enjoyable experience. I ended up with burn marks.

• Love
Reactions: compwiz1202

compwiz1202

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Just a reminder: If you look to your left and right and don't see a ground pin… it's you. These don't have a ground pin.

That makes them great for iPhones and iPads, but use care before plugging a MacBook Air/Pro into one. If you plug devices into USB-C that get power from the outlet, something needs to be grounded or it's you via the MacBook's metal case. Been through that; every time my inkjet printer advanced the paper it would send a little shock over USB, into my MacBook's metal case, and into my palms. It's not an enjoyable experience. I ended up with burn marks.=
I never understood why no ground pin either. Even beyond its actual purpose, the adapter wouldn't fall out of the wall even with loose outlets.

Reactions: LlamaLarry

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I have a lot of Anker stuff and like them a lot, but that silvery plastic bubble just stinks of bad 90s-00s tech product design.

ian87w

Suspended
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Why is the largest charger with the largest wattage only having 1 port? Put like 6 ports in that thing so you can charge 6 devices, 20W each.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.