Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

On the day of its release, Walmart is already offering the 2020 10.2-inch iPad (32GB) for $299.00, down from $329.00. This is the price that Apple offers education customers on its website, and is now available for anyone on Walmart.

f1600191751.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Walmart. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

As of writing, the 32GB iPad is only available in Gold and Space Gray, so the deal likely won't last much longer. The iPad is available for free shipping on Walmart's website, and some store pickup options are also available.

For even more iPad deals, head to our full Best Deals guide for iPad. In that guide we track the best discounts online for iPad, iPad mini, iPad Air, and iPad Pro.

Article Link: Deals: Walmart Offering $30 Off New 10.2-Inch iPad, Available for $299.00

Maconplasma

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2020
I've been getting great deals from Walmart when it comes to electronics. I bought two Roku Ultra devices from them for $69.00. Purchased 64GB Sandisk flash storage cards for each and it was still far lower than the cost of one AppleTV 4K. If people would just get past that it's "WALMART" they are buying their electronics from the end result is the same experience once you get it home and use it.

JPack

macrumors 604
Mar 27, 2017
It might not seem like it, but Apple must make a killing on this device. It's essentially an iPad Air (2013) with front and rear cameras from the iPhone 5. The A12 is broadly used in the XS, XR, iPad mini and Air (2019), so the R&D costs have long been recouped.

bookcase

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
Boston, MA
FYI for me on the educational Apple website it shows $309 even though the keynote did say $299

It's a little misleading: The $299 price is for institution orders -- $309 is the individual education discount. That's what I paid, plus I got $105 trade-in value for my Mini 4. I also get 3% back from the Apple Card and 12-month 0% financing. Combined, that's what propelled me to upgrade. And I'll have it next Tuesday!

From Apple: Education pricing for institutions purchasing directly from Apple, including schools and universities, is available starting at just $299 (US) for iPad (8th generation). Education pricing for individuals, including current and newly accepted college students and their parents, as well as faculty, staff, and homeschool teachers of all grade levels, is available for $309 (US) for iPad (8th generation).

Last edited:

Neepman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
It might not seem like it, but Apple must make a killing on this device. It's essentially an iPad Air (2013) with front and rear cameras from the iPhone 5. The A12 is broadly used in the XS, XR, iPad mini and Air (2019), so the R&D costs have long been recouped.
Even if they are killing it on their margin. Its Still a great piece of kit for 329.

jlocker

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2011
Lake Michigan
I was once worked for Kodak company and for their Video Games rep and I always like working at Walmart. They would get some of the newest electronics in the store for good prices. The video game rep job was fun I would travel around to the Walmarts making sure their demo units worked, Did their midnight game releases, did their game inventory and help sell video game hardware and software in the store. Good times...... This Christmas I am working for Facebook, doing demos on the new Oculus Quest 2 VR technology. These jobs are so much fun going to retail stores like Walmart, Best Buy, Target and Gamestop showing guest the latest technology :)

MrMojo1

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2010
New England
Best deal on an iPad if you can survive with 32GB

64Gb would've been better but Apple wants people to pay more to get more storage.
If you mainly want to view stuff online, 32Gb is more than sufficient for most people.
If you tend to download/store stuff like movies, apps or anything else, then you may want to reconsider.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mainsail

Mainsail

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2010
64Gb would've been better but Apple wants people to pay more to get more storage.
If you mainly want to view stuff online, 32Gb is more than sufficient for most people.
If you tend to download/store stuff like movies, apps or anything else, then you may want to reconsider.

This is what frustrates me:

159BB6AF-7F2E-4101-A318-56CEEC49E53D.jpeg

I am getting by fine with 32GB on my iPad 7, but the “other” category is really frustrating. It keeps changing on its own, so it makes it difficult to manage the device storage.

I do agree that the standard iPad is the best value in tech. Apple might be making nifty margins, but I don’t care. In fact, I hope they are making money on this model so they continue to sell them.

Reactions: Shanpdx

supergt

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2019
Wait until thanksgiving-Christmas and you'll likely be able to get the 128 gb version for 329. Best deal in tech. Same thing to happened to the 7th gen. I picked up last year.

Reactions: Mainsail

bookcase

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
Boston, MA
I currently have the 128gb Mini 4 and have 102.88 left so 32gb will be fine for me. I use my iPhone for the bigger stuff. It was too expensive to upgrade to more.

Reactions: Shanpdx

Robotti

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2014
In other important news, another store that may or may not deliver to your location, has a small reduction in another Apple product's price.

Mainsail

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2010
$300 for 32GB is pathetic. Should have at least been 64.

Be patient. In a month or two, you should be able to get the 128GB version for $329 at big box stores. Last year, BB had them on sale throughout the holiday season.

MrMojo1

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2010
New England
This is what frustrates me:

View attachment 955330

I am getting by fine with 32GB on my iPad 7, but the “other” category is really frustrating. It keeps changing on its own, so it makes it difficult to manage the device storage.

I do agree that the standard iPad is the best value in tech. Apple might be making nifty margins, but I don’t care. In fact, I hope they are making money on this model so they continue to sell them.

Sometimes an occasional reboot can help with the storage allocation as that also happens on the iPhones as reported by many users.

The 64Gb is the sweet spot of storage needed for Apple's mobile devices.

But apps size and usage is growing as well as people downloading files and making HD videos/photos so 128Gb will become the next best storage capacity needed.
Unfortunately, Apple most likely knows that and will price accordingly (higher prices) for that.
At least the newer iPad 2020 version will have an updated chip which will receive support for another few years.

Better to wait for Black Friday to see if the iPad 2020 128Gb goes on sale. If it drops ~$300, it's a buy!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.