Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon-owned deals site Woot is offering low prices on a few refurbished MacBook Pro models today only. You can get the 2017 and 2018 MacBook Pro in both 13-inch and 15-inch sizes, with prices starting at $679.99.

macbook-pro-function-keys.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Woot. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

To start, Woot has the mid 2017 13-inch MacBook Pro (2.3GHz, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD) for $679.99, down from an original list price of $1,299.00. You can increase the storage of this model to 256GB for $789.99, and neither of these MacBook Pros have the Touch Bar.

If you want a model with the Touch Bar, Woot has the mid 2018 13-inch MacBook Pro with a 256GB SSD for $979.99, and a 512GB for $1,079.99. The only 15-inch model available on sale today is the mid 2018 MacBook Pro with 16GB RAM and a 256GB SSD for $1,489.99.

Woot also has refurbished models of the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus on sale for today only, starting at just $79.99 for an unlocked 16GB iPhone 6s. Prices on the iPhone 6s Plus start at $129.99 for 16GB and increase from there. These iPhones are expected to have a moderate level of wear and tear, and have been tested to be in full working condition.

If you're an Amazon Prime member, you can get free standard shipping on Woot's website. Our full Deals Roundup has more information on the latest Apple-related sales and bargains.

Article Link: Deals: Woot Discounting Refurbished MacBook Pros (From $680) and iPhone 6s Models (From $80) Today Only

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
If I'm looking at this correctly, what Woot is charging $789 for the 256GB model (90-day woot warranty refurbished by Apple) is the same thing that Apple is selling for currently for $1189 (1 year apple warranty, refurbished by Apple and eligible for AppleCare+). That's a big savings. It's curious that the woot one is supposed to be refurbished by Apple; in that event I'd think this is worth the $400 savings.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
You're better off with the latest model Air than this pricing refurbished for 3 year old Mac.

That's not correct unless you highly value a true tone screen and extended battery life. A 2017 13" MBP isn't drastically better than a 2018/19 MBA, but it still has higher benchmarks and at this pricing, it's less than the lowest priced MBA.

This is a very good deal.
[automerge]1583350853[/automerge]
If I'm looking at this correctly, what Woot is charging $789 for the 256GB model (90-day woot warranty refurbished by Apple) is the same thing that Apple is selling for currently for $1189 (1 year apple warranty, refurbished by Apple and eligible for AppleCare+). That's a big savings. It's curious that the woot one is supposed to be refurbished by Apple; in that event I'd think this is worth the $400 savings.

The base spec 2017 13" MBPs seem to be showing up in discounts everywhere lately. I've been seeing this exact model go for $949 from a retailer in Tennessee that has an eBay store, but that one comes with a one year Apple Warranty and is eligible for AppleCare+. That's already a really good deal, I was surprised to see this Woot deal for $679-789, but it's missing a standard Apple Waranty. I guess about $150 is the wholesale value of that 1 year Apple warranty.

Last edited:
Reactions: Squonk

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia

Another angle to look at it. Is it worth $400 for a one year warranty? As that is essentially what you'd be paying extra for to buy it directly from Apple.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Another angle to look at it. Is it worth $400 for a one year warranty? As that is essentially what you'd be paying extra for to buy it directly from Apple.

@Squonk, if you want the 13" MBP edition with a 1 year Apple warranty for $949, look here:

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
Yep, exactly! Also, I suspect that the Apple sold refurbs would come with a new battery but the Woot ones may not.
[automerge]1583353424[/automerge]
@Squonk, if you want the 13" MBP edition with a 1 year Apple warranty for $949, look here:
Thanks for that link! I wasn't exactly in the market for a 13" MBP until this darn woot deal caught my eye...

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Yep, exactly! Also, I suspect that the Apple sold refurbs would come with a new battery but the Woot ones may not.

I have a refurb 2018 MBP. It had 4 cycles on the battery when I opened it. Woot says their units are refurbished by Apple, but they're not specifically labeled as "Apple Certified Refurbished" so it's not clear if these are like typical Apple refurbs that are basically as good as new.
[automerge]1583354298[/automerge]
You couldn't pay me to use a mac now. The trackpad is so annoying.

I wish it were just a little smaller. It was perfect before. Ever since the 2016 model, it gets in the way... for me at least. I know other people don't have this problem. I have fairly large hands and the trackpad still isn't making nice with me after all this time.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
[automerge]1583353424[/automerge]

Thanks for that link! I wasn't exactly in the market for a 13" MBP until this darn woot deal caught my eye...

As they say they are refurbished by Apple. I expect them to meet the same standards of any Apple refurbished computer. At first I thought these were "refurbished". Meaning someone pressed a button on a used computer, saw it worked and declared it refurbished. If they say refurbished by Apple. They darn well better be.

As for the price. I'd expect they get these in bulk from Apple's buyback program. That or Apple has bulk supplies of these due to keyboard replacements.

Walterkopchak

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2019
As they say they are refurbished by Apple. I expect them to meet the same standards of any Apple refurbished computer. At first I thought these were "refurbished". Meaning someone pressed a button on a used computer, saw it worked and declared it refurbished. If they say refurbished by Apple. They darn well better be.

As for the price. I'd expect they get these in bulk from Apple's buyback program. That or Apple has bulk supplies of these due to keyboard replacements.
Just because something says its refurbished by Apple does not mean the same standards are used for those that are sold by Apple. Gotta read the fine print. For example, regardless of whether you buy at Woot or on the Apple refurb store, you get no extended warranty for the keyboard. You ONLY get the 4 year keyboard warranty if you buy the laptop new.
[automerge]1583357358[/automerge]
Only buy these new from a retailer. Buying refurb means there is no extended warranty on the keyboard, meaning that when they fail in 18 months, you're on your own.

Not 3rd world prostitute risky, but risky nonetheless.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
[1] Just because something says its refurbished by Apple does not mean the same standards are used for those that are sold by Apple. Gotta read the fine print. [2] For example, regardless of whether you buy at Woot or on the Apple refurb store, you get no extended warranty for the keyboard. You ONLY get the 4 year keyboard warranty if you buy the laptop new.

[2] is not an example of [1].

In fact, [2] is an example of the opposite of [1].

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Woot also has refurbished models of the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus on sale for today only, starting at just $79.99 for an unlocked 16GB iPhone 6s. Prices on the iPhone 6s Plus start at $129.99 for 16GB and increase from there. These iPhones are expected to have a moderate level of wear and tear, and have been tested to be in full working condition.
The prices are nice, but that "moderate level of wear and tear" really seals the deal :oops:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.