Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Woot today launched a new sale on Philips Hue smart lighting products, including the brand's smart hub, LightStrip+ Extension, various starter kits and bulb sets, and more.

refurb-hue.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Woot. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Prices start at $14.76 for the LightStrip+ Extension, which works as a way to expand the length of an existing Philips Hue LightStrip. This accessory typically sells for around $25.

Other standalone products on sale include the Philips Hue White and Color Ambiance Smart Bulb at $32.79, and the Hue Smart Hub at $33.59. We've rounded up the rest of the refurbished Hue accessories on sale below:

All of the Hue products on sale today have been tested and certified to look and work like new, and also include all relevant accessories and at least a 90 day warranty. Woot does note that some devices may ship in generic packaging. Head to Woot to shop the full sale.

Article Link: Deals: Woot Discounts Refurbished Philips Hue Smart Lighting Accessories From $14.76

alexandr

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
I had my whole house Hued out. was fun.

then i found out the bulbs SCREAM at 30,000Hz, which was making my puppy insane.

I went back to incandescent lighting and he immediately became a completely different, calm normal puppy.

oh no, that's a real bummer(
guess its just as well that dogs aren't allowed in our apt. although when ppl w/ dogs visit, they seem fine.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I had my whole house Hued out. was fun.

then i found out the bulbs SCREAM at 30,000Hz, which was making my puppy insane.

I went back to incandescent lighting and he immediately became a completely different, calm normal puppy.
Interesting my two dogs don’t seem to be any different and all I have is hue stuff.

TomaxXamot

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I couldn’t agree more, the last phone i ordered from them for my family had earwax built up inside of the speaker grill. The least they could have done was clean and sanitize it...

Eww. I’ll remember to avoid them in the future. All the Hue stuff I would’ve wanted, like the light bars, strips and colour bulbs are sold out anyway.

dannyyankou

macrumors G4
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Call me old fashioned, but I see no added convenience of smart bulbs vs entering a room and just flicking the switch. It doesn’t seem worth the increased cost, you can get a 4 pack of LED bulbs for $9

StuBeck

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
Call me old fashioned, but I see no added convenience of smart bulbs vs entering a room and just flicking the switch. It doesn’t seem worth the increased cost, you can get a 4 pack of LED bulbs for $9

I have an older house, and most rooms don't have light switches in them. The other big benefit is being able to have the outside lights which are on light switches turn off and on when the sun rises and sets. Its not something I have setup in every room, but its a nice to have for those rooms we're in consistently. From an app I can turn everything off when I get in bed which is nice when the wife isn't great at turning lights off.

Reactions: dannyyankou

dannyyankou

macrumors G4
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I have an older house, and most rooms don't have light switches in them. The other big benefit is being able to have the outside lights which are on light switches turn off and on when the sun rises and sets. Its not something I have setup in every room, but its a nice to have for those rooms we're in consistently. From an app I can turn everything off when I get in bed which is nice when the wife isn't great at turning lights off.
Oh yeah, I can definitely see the added convenience if you use mainly lamps and don’t use switches. But not so much worth it if you already have ceiling lights with switches.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
In general I haven't touched a switch or used a voice command in months. Everything works off of sensors and modes. Levels and color temperatures change depending on the time of day. Timeout duration changes based on mode. Modes change automatically between day/evening/night.

My main interactions are with the switch by the front door. Normally my exterior lights are motion activated. If I tap the switch it turns them on and overrides the motion control. If I double tap it up it sets mood lighting of blues and greens and turns on the garden lights. If I tap it down it resets everything to their normal settings. The outside lights also change color for certain holidays (purple/orange for Halloween, red/green for Christmas, yellow/green for the first day of spring, etc.).

I also have a button I press when I go to bed. This sets the bedtime mode, all motion timers are set to 30 seconds and light levels are set to 1% when a light triggers. This way you can get up at night and have light without being blinded.

The switches also allow for overrides and familiar user interfaces. Take the bathroom for example, the light will come on when you approach the doorway. It will turn off about 30 seconds after you leave. Works great but a guest won't know that at first. So they can push the on switch but it really won't do anything. They can also push the off switch when they leave and it will immediately turn off the light even though they don't need to. All of the switches throughout the house are a familiar paddle style. Shortly the exhaust fan will be automated as well. It will trigger based on humidity and if somebody turns it on manually it will turn itself off after a while.

At first it seemed a bit silly but I gave it a try. Now it is just amazing. My house reacts to me but I can still override it with the switches. Things just flow and it anticipates my needs.

Sure it isn't for everybody but it can be so much more than using your phone to manually turn a light on and off.

jlc1978

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2009
Yo missed the best reason - screwing with people by changing the light settings remotely. It's the IoT version. of bringing a universal remote to a party and turning a TV on and off.

Jgreg00

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2016

I prefer to use smart switches and LED bulbs. Seems more convenient and you can still automate exterior lights to turn on at sunset or off at a certain times or anything else you can do with smart bulbs.

Reactions: Zaren

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
I LOVE my Hue lights and my two cats and one (previously two), dogs don't mind them at all.

However, I really do wish Hue would FINALLY add multiple hub support to their system! I have thick concrete walls and ceilings in my home and currently use two (and soon three) hubs around the whole to ensure all lights are managed properly.

I've had to resort to running OpenHAB on my Plex server (waiting very patiently for my Raspberry Pi kit to turn up from China to finally build my HassOS home automation server), to be able to support all the hubs as Philips refuses to add multiple hub support to their system meaning you constantly have to switch within the app and you can only add one hub through the official Philips Hue app in Alexa. Obviously on HomeKit, there is no such issue, but it's a huge issue that Philips needs to resolve.

They also need to make ROUND E14 bulbs! The candle ones are described as little pen15's poking up from our dining table chandelier by my wife! ?
[automerge]1587633849[/automerge]
I prefer to use smart switches and LED bulbs. Seems more convenient and you can still automate exterior lights to turn on at sunset or off at a certain times or anything else you can do with smart bulbs.

It's not just about automation. Hue gives you total light control which smart switches do not. I have a combination of the two in my home and over time, I will migrate all the smart switch controls to Hue as they are so much better.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Can you turn off all lights in an instant in multiple places? I don’t understand how people can’t see convenience in smart bulbs.
go turn off my 35 lights for me one by one please. I’ll be asleep by then.

Reactions: Munkypoo7

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
Can you turn off all lights in an instant in multiple places? I don’t understand how people can’t see convenience in smart bulbs.

Exactly. Not just this but automation for outdoor lights, mood lights, different brightness and also disco lights as we had at our New Years party. The neighbours also love my colour outdoor spots!

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
If you have 35 light bulbs on at the same time, with 35 individual switches to turn them off, you’re doing it wrong.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
However, I really do wish Hue would FINALLY add multiple hub support to their system! I have thick concrete walls and ceilings in my home and currently use two (and soon three) hubs around the whole to ensure all lights are managed properly.
It sounds like you need more lights. The bulbs will act as repeaters if you can find the right spots to fill in the dead zones. Unless you are at the limit on the number of lights a single hub can control.

If you can't extend the mesh another option might be adding a Hubitat hub. With Hubconnect (a community application) you can connect to the 2 (or soon to be 3) Hue hubs and control everything from a central location.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
If you have 35 light bulbs on at the same time, with 35 individual switches to turn them off, you’re doing it wrong.
I don’t. I don’t use switches in my lights anymore. There’s no physical on off switch for the majority of my things besides kitchen lights and some wall/track lights. Everything I control is setup with scenes and I don’t touch anything besides the hue remotes sometimes for what I have them programmed to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.