Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Woot today is offering a sale on refurbished iPhone 12 models, as well as a record low price on the MagSafe Charger. Starting with that accessory, you can get it for $27.99 on Woot, down from $39.00.

iphone12magsafe.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Woot. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

This beats Amazon's current sale on the MagSafe Charger by about $6, and is a new all-time low price for the accessory at any retailer. This is a brand new version of the MagSafe Charger and it comes with a one year Apple limited warranty.

Secondly, you'll find refurbished models of the iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max all on sale today. iPhone 12 mini prices start at $569.99 for 64GB, down from $729.00.

For the iPhone 12 Pro, you'll find the 128GB model priced at $939.99, down from $999.00. There are also 256GB and 512GB models on sale for $1,039.99 and $1,179.99 respectively.

These unlocked iPhones all come with a 90 day Woot limited warranty. They've been inspected and are guaranteed to come with minimal cosmetic damage, and Woot has also put each through a full diagnostic test to ensure like-new functionality.

Head to our full Deals Roundup to get caught up with all of the latest deals and discounts that we've been tracking over the past week.

Article Link: Deals: Woot Opens New Sale on Refurbished iPhone 12 Models and Apple MagSafe Charger

grjj

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2014
Who refurbished these iPhone 12 Models? Apple? I wouldn't trust any third party refurbished iPhone
no-one. These are not refurbished by any definition of the word other than the one Woot has fraudulently applied here.
Woot is lying about the condition of these phones and anyone who buys them is effectively being scammed.

To quote the actual terms from the listing:
Hey, you there! These items have been inspected and guaranteed to have minimal cosmetic damage, which is not noticeable when the device is held at arm's length & have successfully passed a full diagnostic test which ensures like-new functionality & removal of any prior-user's personal information. Batteries are tested to function at minimum 85% capacity.

Last edited:

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
I'm still trying to figure out what benefit the iPhone MagSafe charger offers over simply plugging in a Lightning cable.
I use my magsafe charger everyday with my iPhone 12, and a lighting cable to charge my 2017 iPad Pro. MagSafe really is just a more pleasant experience. Especially for something you use everyday. Think how much nicer it is to have soft close kitchen cabinet doors versus basic hinges. Or soft light rockers versus clicking light switches. They do the same thing but it’s just better.

ignatius345

macrumors 68040
Aug 20, 2015
I have a huge weakness for new gadgets, but the only compelling use case I can come up with for MagSafe is in my car, where it can simultaneously charge my phone and mount it to the dashboard. Huge improvement over clunky clamps and whatnot.

The gadget buyer in me wants to want the MagSafe charger because it's cool, but I can't see how it would help me. If I'm using my phone while it charges with a cable attached... I already have a couple 6' Lightning cables connected to very fast 20W charge cubes. More often, I want to just set it down to charge while I'm not using it -- and in that case Qi chargers work nicely, are cheap, and don't need to be manually pulled off the phone when I pick it up. I suppose there are ways to affix a MagSafe charger to a table or whatever so it's easier to remove -- but that feels like a lot of new gear that solves no problem for me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

JCCL

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
no-one. These are not refurbished by any definition of the word other than the one Woot has fraudulently applied here.
Woot is lying about the condition of these phones and anyone who buys them is effectively being scammed.

To quote the actual terms from the listing:
Hey, you there! These items have been inspected and guaranteed to have minimal cosmetic damage, which is not noticeable when the device is held at arm's length & have successfully passed a full diagnostic test which ensures like-new functionality & removal of any prior-user's personal information. Batteries are tested to function at minimum 85% capacity.
Thanks so basically an used iPhone with a heftier markup than market average....what a deal!

• Haha
Reactions: coachgq

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I'm still trying to figure out what benefit the iPhone MagSafe charger offers over simply plugging in a Lightning cable.
its probably the best thing for phones in a long time for me. I use It everyday in mounts for the car or home. Or even going for lunch they have magsafe kickstands that can be chargers or just used as a kickstand. I have a mount by my bed that I don't have to look at to toss onto the charger. If I want to use it just grab it and don't have to think about pull out a cable or plugging in one. Just casually place it on the stand and it holds it. Can also turn it and watch a video If I want with one finger.
I also bought a portable holder stand I use the majority of the time im lounging around and on it. I really don't like holding my phone for long periods of time as I noticed my finger and hand feels numb over too long of holding it. Dont know if it has anything to do with bluetooth or wifi but its been a concern of mine for a while now.
So this stand just holds it and doesn't fall or move around because the base is more square. I can raise it up or tilt the phone any degree. I really don't know how ill ever go back to anything else besides magsafe after ive been getting so used to it since the 12 pro's. Heres a link to some of the stands and holders I have. https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Magne...eywords=belkin+magsafe&qid=1629297266&sr=8-11

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PF7NRS5?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092MMHR63?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Reactions: machpost

DanTSX

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
Yup

MagSafe has proven to be dumb. (Not a judgement on people who use it, or are offended by my opinion)

• Disagree
Reactions: diandi

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
Woot often has great deals. This isn't one of them. 600 bucks for a refurbed iPhone 11? Negative.

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
I like what the magnets have done for car mounts, but that's it. The charging tech is ridiculously expensive. Apple wants 50-60 bucks (magsafe puck and compatible charger) to accomplish more slowly what you can by just plugging it in with the cable the phone shipped with for free. Stupid.
But the magnets let me finally get away from having to hide a thin metal plate between the phone and the case when mounting it to a magnetic base on my dashboard. I hate fumbling with clamps and other nonsense when placing or removing my phone from the dash mount, so the newer magsafe compliant mounts have been a boon for me. My current setup only charges at 7.5w but that's all I need anyway: just a top off during the day, or enough juice to prevent drain while I have google maps and pandora running in the car.
I'd love to see full 15w charging, but considering what Apple wants companies to pay to license that, it would likely put any such devices out of my price range. Not interested in dropping a hundred bucks on something I paid 30 for and works almost just as well, thanks Apple.

Reactions: ignatius345

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
Prices are not that much off and iPhone 13 within a month from being release! LOL! iPhone 13 is brand new, has Apple warranty and has new features like faster SoC, improved camera and rumor new colors too!

Reactions: SantaFeNM

ignatius345

macrumors 68040
Aug 20, 2015
I really don't like holding my phone for long periods of time as I noticed my finger and hand feels numb over too long of holding it.
Same. I really think it's just the weight of the thing pressing down on weird places on the hand for extended periods of time. My pinkie often becomes a little "shelf" to support the weight of the phone and it starts to feel crappy after a while.

Reactions: x-evil-x

mannyvel

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2019
Hillsboro, OR
Yup

MagSafe has proven to be dumb. (Not a judgement on people who use it, or are offended by my opinion)
MagSafe makes it obvious when your phone is on the coil. On all my normal wireless chargers I put my phone on it and it sort of looks like charging started (the LEDs on the pad change color), but then it doesn't charge because it's not aligned or something like that.

DanTSX

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
MagSafe makes it obvious when your phone is on the coil. On all my normal wireless chargers I put my phone on it and it sort of looks like charging started (the LEDs on the pad change color), but then it doesn't charge because it's not aligned or something like that.
But it’s basically a lighting cable that sticks to the outside, rather than inside.

The alignment is nice, but now I have to use two hands to disconnect. Like a wire. And if the MagSafe puck drops, it dings my mid century veneer tabletop😬.

I like MagSafe in the car. That’s about it.

JCCL

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
But it’s basically a lighting cable that sticks to the outside, rather than inside.

The alignment is nice, but now I have to use two hands to disconnect. Like a wire. And if the MagSafe puck drops, it dings my mid century veneer tabletop😬.

I like MagSafe in the car. That’s about it.
This, I have a Belkin charging Stand. Since it has a frame that ensures that the iPhone is always positioned correctly, I can just use one hand to pick it up and place it right where it belong in the charging base - which I find very convenient especially since it is on my night stand and a much better solution than mag-safe

ignatius345

macrumors 68040
Aug 20, 2015
When MagSafe first came out I thought it was going to be just an auto-aligning feature, which would be great and solve this problem. But then it turned out the puck sticks to the phone which is just irritating.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I use it daily. I’m not impressed.

Also, opinions are not dependent on “proof”.
Why do you use it then? Just go back to using a cable then. I wouldn’t use something I didn’t see a use for…

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
When MagSafe first came out I thought it was going to be just an auto-aligning feature, which would be great and solve this problem. But then it turned out the puck sticks to the phone which is just irritating.
You have to stick them to a surface if you dont want to use two hands. The Normal apple MagSafe pucks are rather pointless for me. The mounts are much better but still they need to be stuck to a surface to use correctly with one hand and not thinking about holding it down while taking your phone off.
My car mount is mounted down so its like using nothing at all. Put it on, locks into place, i can turn it easily. I can take it off and get out of my car without thinking about it. Same with mounts i have around the house. They are stuck to a desk with locking Velcro. I use one stand that isn’t locked down but i use it all around my place as a portable stand and love it. I don’t want to be holding my phone every time i want to use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.