Dear Adobe...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Edge100, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Edge100 macrumors 68000

Dear Adobe,

Thank you for creating such a wonderful product in Lightroom 3. The new RAW rendering engine is incredible, and the noise reduction is to-die-for.

Now don't get me wrong, the adjustment brush feature is absolutely terrific. The ability to locally adjust contrast, or clarity, or sharpness, or almost anything has been a great addition to the product, and has cut my post-processing time down by probably 50%, if not more. Great feature!

As it happens, when processing portraits, I like to remove clarity from people's faces; you know, smooth out the bumps, gloss over the little things that people don't like to see. This works a treat! And when I need to keep clarity in important areas of the face (eyes, mouth, eyebrows, etc), I just erase the adjustment brush and keep on going.

Thing is, I often like to add sharpness to those areas that I erased my clarity reduction from. That is to say, sometimes I like clarity to be LOW in the same areas I like sharpness to be HIGH. To do this today, I have to use the adjustment brush twice; one brush to take away clarity (erasing from the areas I want clarity), and one brush to add sharpness (adding only to where I want it).

Adobe, please, please, please, when you finally get down to writing Lightroom 4, please consider allowing us simple photographers to save our masks, and to invert them as needed. Is it really necessary to make me go into Photoshop to do such a simple adjustment, when Lightroom can get me 99% of the way there?

It's not a big ask, and I promise to still buy both LR and PS, so you're not losing out at all. This one change would save me huge amounts of time, allowing me to get on to other matters.

To sum up: adjustment brushes - good; lack of saving/inverting masks - bad.

Yours,

Mike

2. Edge100 thread starter macrumors 68000