Dear anyone about to buy a black book,

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ll PiStoNs ll, Sep 24, 2008.

1. ll PiStoNs ll macrumors regular

2. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

When I bought my Black Macbook I could of bought that one for $100 more at the time. I still chose the Black Macbook. Comes down to what someone needs. I had a Pro and sold it. Bought the Black. I prefer it more. I still think the current Black Macbook is better than that older Pro (the one you described). I'm sure some will agree and some will disagree with that. That is what makes life so great. We are different.

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

That's a pretty old MBP - 2.2ghz. I would call that a non-comparison. Unless, of course, you like aluminum over black. But then that's due to change with the AL MB's on Oct 14.

4. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Yeah that is the "official" rumor date now. It changes so much it will make your head spin. It is funny to watch people react though.

5. UnWeave macrumors newbie

2.2GHz in the pro, 2.4GHz in the current Black MacBook. That's not going to give any largely noticeable difference in everyday use, and probably not mucg even in CPU intensive tasks. Plus, you get a dedicated GFX card.

But as has been said, it depends what you want. If you have no use for a dedicated GPU and want something more portable, the Black MacBook is still the more attractive option.

6. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

+1
    I'd buy another blackbook over that MBP any day, if I had the choice again.

7. XiuXiu2012 macrumors newbie

XiuXiu2012

Looks like a fair deal if you like the Alum, but of course you've got to deal with MacMall.

8. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

what's that mean? Are they a bad store?

9. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I have had 1 bad experience with them. Small item I bought. It said in stock and then they emailed me saying it would take 4 weeks to get in. I know others have had good experiences. I know if you buy a Mac from them, they will not allow you to return it if it was delivered defective. They will tell you to call Apple. Apple will tell you to call Macmall.

Read their Apple return policy if you want to learn about it in more detail.

10. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I would buy that hands down over any BlackBook :confused:

Its only a year old, the model before the current model.

Bigger screen, looks nicer, dedicated graphics instead of GMA X3100.

11. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I would buy the Black Macbook hands down. No contest. Better design IMO. Newer version. Plus you won't get the ticking time bomb in the Pro (graphics card).

12. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Ah yeah the graphics card issue. Forgot about that. In that case I'd probably buy the old 2.33ghz Core 2 with the ATI graphics (if it was in perfect condition- refurb or brand new of course).

13. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

It would be stupid to forget about it. All one has to do is look at the numerous threads about it on here or a simple google search. There is a reason that company put aside over 100 million dollars to deal with the defect in the future. Lawsuits? mmm Apple refuses to say it is a defect eventhough Dell and HP has said it is one. Plus the numerous people who have had their laptop go out and no telling how many more in the future b/c of it

Buy whatever you want. It is just OUR opinions anyway.

14. XiuXiu2012 macrumors newbie

XiuXiu2012

They're just a really, really big online retailer and their reputation isn't the best. I haven't purchased anything from them, but I know quite a few people who have had issues.

Personally, I'd look at SmallDog, PowerMax, or any of the other smaller guys who have stellar reputations before taking a chance on MacMall...

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Or you could just buy from Amazon. :p