DEAR APPLE: Please make a mini-DVI extension cable

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mac-guy, Mar 4, 2008.

1. mac-guy macrumors newbie

I posted this before, but it ended up under the MacBook Pro sub-forum. So I'm reposting it again under the MacBook sub-forum.

Will some company please make a mini-DVI extension cable?! (I've already sent requests to several companies, with no responses)

The extension cable would be about 2 or 3 foot long with mini-DVI connectors on both ends (one male, one female).
    It would look similar to a USB cable or Firewire cable.

I hate this big bulky DVI adapter.... :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chinarider macrumors regular

Tape?

While you are waiting for someone to make your cable, in the meantime just tape that Bad Boy down for some strain relief. Not pretty, but funcitional.

3. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

That would be a brilliant idea!

The specs for the connector are available: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-DVI. So how hard could it be? Unless Apple is holding some kind of patent/proprietary locks on that connector, a 3rd party vendor could make such an adapter. (Perhaps even an DVI-I one! :))

4. tuc macrumors 6502

If someone made one I'd buy one, but it may be that mini-DVI is not long for this world.

Apple went with micro-DVI on the MacBook Air. So will the next MacBooks and MacBooks Pro revisions migrate to micro-DVI also, or will Apple continue to support both mini-DVI and mini-DVI.

If I were Apple I would standardize on a single port type, but (obviously) I'm not Apple.

5. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Mini-dvi's have been around since Apple introduced the G4 PowerBook 12", I doubt it'll be vanishing anytime soon - though it's only ever found on Apple's lowend laptops... The MacBook Air's Micro-DVI is a new incarnation - Get used to it, Apple loves to make it's own non-standard connectors.

So glad i got a pro!
    Sorry.. Must be fairly frustrating.

Oh, I know....

If the spacs are online and your handy with a iron why not make the lead/leads yourselves? Or perhaps radio shack don't have them male and female mini-dvi's?

6. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

Anyone of know of any retailers, either on- or off-line, that sells just the Mini-DVI connectors? Preferably in the Asia Pacific region. It maybe USD19, but that's HKD150 here.

7. mac-guy thread starter macrumors newbie

I have searched all over the Internet for mini-DVI connectors or cables, but found there are only 2 companies that make products using the connector: Dynex (Best Buy) and Apple.

The mini-DVI connectors are simply not available to the general public. :mad:

8. f1 macrumors 6502

9. mac-guy thread starter macrumors newbie

:confused:

What are you talking about? It doesn't matter how long a DVI cable is, it still connects to the same adapter made by either Dynex or Apple.

The length of cable on the adapter is 2.5 inches. A longer adapter cable does not exist.

10. f1 macrumors 6502

If you had a longer DVI cable you wouldn't need an extension for the adapter as teh longer cable would make up for it. This is why there's no extender cable that you're asking for because Apple would think most people would figure out that buying a longer DVI cable would solve these kinds of problems...

11. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

Now I do agree I could see a market for an extension cable. I can say there is no special patent on this product. In fact both this and the Mini VGA were also used by Sony at one point on their laptops. I think it will just take some people asking for these cables to get them a reality. So either you start writing to Apple (well mroe than just you would need to) or to Dynex (Best Buy).

Kevin :apple:

12. mac-guy thread starter macrumors newbie

You cannot use a regular DVI cable with the MacBook. You HAVE to have a mini-DVI to DVI adapter cable.

The only adapters available are made by Apple or Dynex; both having a cable length of 2.5 inches. The adapter allows you to connect to a regular DVI cable of any length.

Here is a close-up of the APPLE PROPRIETARY mini-DVI connector...
    [​IMG]

13. alfaphlex macrumors newbie

I think you missed mac-guy's point. Look at how the bulky piece in the 1st pic sticks out like a sore thumb. If there were some sort of mini-dvi extension, he'd be able to fit the cable inside the black tube along with the other cables and have a much neater desktop.

He could just move the black tubing farther back, but then you have those 2 bulky dvi pieces sticking out of it. Also, it'd still be a problem because as long as the adaptor is hanging off the edge of the table like that, it's still very likely to get stuck and detach itself if he decides to move his macbook

Personally though, I really don't see it as much an issue because it lays flat on my desk and not hanging like in the pics above, but small details like this drive some people crazy.

14. mac-guy thread starter macrumors newbie

Believe me, I have written Apple several times, as well as several other companies (Dynex, Newer Tech, OWC, etc...).

Here is the response from Cables-to-Go...

15. alfaphlex macrumors newbie

mac-guy, I don't know how diy-savvy you are, but here's an idea. My educated guess is that the mini-dvi adaptor cable has the same number of wires inside it than a regular dvi cable, just that the adaptor itself is different.

Using a regular dvi extension cable, crack open the male part of it, then crack open the male part of the mini-dvi adaptor and solder the dvi cable's wires onto it in the same order that the mini-dvi wires are attached... the only problem is that the wires might be different colors. If you could get passed that though, you might just end up with a diy extended mini-dvi adaptor.

16. anmoldagreat macrumors member

ive always felt the same way
    nothing you can really do about it now though.

just a huge bulk of wires coming out of my "simple macbook"

power, mini dvi, firewire, usb, usb, headphone jack, ethernet, and the lock.
    atleast it performs perfectly : )

17. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I admire what you are doing so keep "plugging away". In the meantime though, what are you doing to work around the problem? I have the same sort of problem with connection on other equipment in my home and the fix was fairly easy. I just tripped on down to Home Depot and picked up a plastic hook that sticks onto the furnture. It acts as kind of a strain relief for the cable. There are other solutions of course but there is no need to suffer while you wait for someone to make a longer cable.

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Maybe the next step will just be HDMI? That plug is reasonably small and modern. I agree, VGA and DVI plugs are bears.

That aside, is there a shielding / impedance issue with the analog component of the DVI transmission? You notice that DVI and VGA cables of any length are both very thick and heavily shielded -- bigger in diameter than the thickness of the mini-DVI or mini-VGA port to begin with.

19. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

[​IMG]

Wouldn't it be nice if Apple was to add some screws or latches to the tiny plug so it actually does stay in the socket?? I dunno why they never thought about doing that when they designed the stupid connector.

Companies like JBL, BOSE and H/K has managed to use a lock-able Din for it's sound systems... Why the hell not Apple, for it's mini-DVI & micro-DVI? Honestly, I think it's a design flaw that someone at Apple over looked. Morons :rolleyes:

20. tuc macrumors 6502

You guess as as good or better than mine, but if Apple saw advantages in micro-DVI over mini-DVI enough to use it in the MacBook Air, wouldn't they continue to see those advantages for any major revisions to the MacBook or MacBook Pro?

Can you give me a model number? If this connector has been used by anyone other than Apple I'd like to know.

Fyi, evidently the Asus Lamborghini VX2 had a kind of micro-DVI port (in addition to a standard 15-pin d-sub VGA port) but it's not the same connector as Apple's micro-DVI.

21. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Probably not.

I'd say they used it in the MacBook Air purely because it's small.

That isn't as important with the MB/MBP as they have ethernet ports which add the significant depth.

22. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

23. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

24. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

I don't know if this would work (or if its been said before), but couldn't you just cut the current mini dvi connector, strip back the covering a bit, and add wire to wire connections that would extend it as long as you need? I guess the only problem you would have is that it probably doesn't have color-coded wires.

25. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

[​IMG]

Its working out perfect for me, I think its because its due to the mstand, I can stuck the cord inside underneath and stays there perfectly.