Dear Apple, WHY NO BLU RAY in the new Macs!?!?! ARGH!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by msmth928, Oct 20, 2009.

1. msmth928 macrumors regular

I'm really beginning to despise Apple.

Oh how the new iMacs are so cool with 1080p display YET THEY DON'T HAVE A BLU RAY DRIVE! :rolleyes:

It's not about blu ray drives being expensive it's about Apple wanting to push their inferior download service on us. Argh!

Apple = bag of hurt.

/Rant over.

Anyone else feel the same?

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I wasn't getting my hopes up about Blu-ray and it looks like I'm glad I didn't. That's still a big feature missing for me. I'm still upset that I can't rip my Blu-ray movies to my iMac and iPhone.

3. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

Blu-Ray on a computer is a gimmick anyway. If you want to burn blu-ray for some weird reason, get an external drive. Watching $40 movies on a computer screen? NO THANKS.

4. cube macrumors G5

They boast about FullHD and show all those movies in the presentation, and it can't even play Blu Ray.

5. msmth928 thread starter macrumors regular

ob81 - It isn't a gimmick. And plenty of people want to watch movies on their computer (otherwise Apple wouldn't be offering a movie download service! ;)).

Exactly!

[​IMG]

Viewing pleasure my ass!

6. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

Sigh. I said $40 movies. The fact that you brought up DOWNLOADABLE HD MOVIES, kind of makes my point for me. Thanks for that.

7. cube macrumors G5

They are not 1080p movies, and even if they were, they would be much more compressed than Blu Ray.

8. katyoshi macrumors 6502

Looks like we can't have the best of ALL worlds.

9. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Neander Valley, Germany; just outside Duesseldorf
    If you want Blu-ray on your iMac, just connect a Blu-ray Disc player to the video-in port of the 27" iMac. Or get yourself a Blu-ray drive and rip them onto you iMac for playback. It can be done, just not in one nice package.

10. cube macrumors G5

I have a Blu Ray burner for my MBP. I still haven't used it because there's no proper playback software from anywhere.

11. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

I would like Blu Ray but meh, not necessary. Would be really nice though.

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

There are a significant amount of people that don't want it on there. But it's coming to the Mac Pro first.

13. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

If you rip it (e.g. MakeMKV, AnyDVD HD Windows) to your Mac you can play it with Plex or XBMC, although no HD audio, only 5.1 DD or DTS.

14. cube macrumors G5

If they don't want BD-ROM, they can just not use it.

15. cube macrumors G5

I won't put Windows on my Macs.

16. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

Nope - pretty much happy with the new line up - if and when BluRay will come as BTO then Ill be a tad happier - but it will mean having to go buy bluray disks and not watch them on my 42" TV - kinda silly imho

17. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

So use MakeMKV.

18. FnuGk macrumors regular

why should i pay for something i dont use?

19. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I want to be able to insert a Blu-ray disc into my iMac, open up a free application (like Handbrake) and rip the movie for my iPhone.

I don't want to have to buy an external Blu-ray drive, buy a copy of Windows, install Windows on my iMac, reboot into Windows every time I want to rip a Blu-ray, etc. It seems like too much of a hassle right now.

I believe that whenever (or if) Apple decides to put a Blu-ray drive in their Macs, that free applications (such as Handbrake) will incorporate Blu-ray ripping.

When (or if) Apple first offers Blu-ray drives in their Macs, it will be an optional feature. After a couple of years when they are cheaper and more people use it, then it will be standard. It should work just like DVD drives did when they first came out.

20. XP Defector macrumors 6502

21. cube macrumors G5

I just got a surround system. I'm not going to watch Blu Rays in stereo. And then there is BD+.

22. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

You can use MakeMKV > Handbrake.

You don't need Windows, but you certainly need a Blu-ray drive of some kind. Otherwise you can't read Blu-ray discs.

There's already a Mac app for ripping Blu-ray discs. It's still in beta and will likely cost something when it's out, but it works very well and you then use Handbrake to put it into a container for just about anything.

You get Dolby Digital or DTS out these rips. That's 5.1 surround sound. You don't get True-HD or DTS-HD, which are uncompressed audio. Quite frankly, I notice no difference, but then again my ears are pretty old. BD+ is also in MakeMKV now, but the title key database isn't as extensive as it is for non-BD+ discs. It's coming along quite nicely.

23. msmth928 thread starter macrumors regular

Doesn't in the slightest. It's about choice and standards.

I want to play my blu rays where I want, not where YOU or APPLE tell me to :rolleyes:

Stop being the apologetic mac fanboy that the rest of the world laugh at. It's dumb not to want the industry standard player of high definition movies on your Personal Computer. And it's insulting that Apple did not include one when it would have cost next to peanuts to include one ESPECIALLY when you consider Macs are meant to be a premium product! It's embarrassing to say the least!

Can see this amusing little story play out a million times...

24. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I completely forgot about that application. My only problem with it is that it is currently in beta and will probably cost something in the future.

I guess in order for Handbrake to do the full process, the VLC decryption library would have to support Blu-rays (since that's what Handbrake uses now). Once that library is updated, then Handbrake would have to support Blu-rays. Here's to hoping that this happens within the next year or so. :D

25. silentnite macrumors 6502a

silentnite

Yeah! we didn't get the blu-ray. What we did get is something nice to work with. I'm sure other company's seeing apple leave this feature out will start taking advantages of it and produce some nice external Blu-ray drives. If we wait and blu-ray prices drop, which they will. I'm sure we'll start to see Blu ray external drives everywhere. :D