Dear iPad competitors. What is so difficult to understand?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hcho3, Mar 22, 2011.

1. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Stop showing us those tablets with 3D cameras. Stop showing us with those price tags at 699-799 dollars. Are you on weed?

This is why Samsung, Motorola and others fail until these issues are resolved.

1. Apple store: This is is a biggie. With apple store, apple offers a great customer experience and I can always swap my devices at the store. (If I have issues) I can also learn how to use the device at the store. Does samsung, motorola or any other manufacturers do that in volume? No. Invest or GTFO!

2. App store: Just starting, so I see, but promote developers to do something. 65000 apps are too high numbers against few hundred apps at android store. Same thing goes blackberry. Same thing goes to HP.

3. Price: Undercut the price or at least match it. Get close to it. Take the loss or everyone will just ignore. F with 799 dollars Xoom tablet. That's crazy.

4. Stop with Skins. Don't do it. Don't ruin the software. Leave it with pure google's experience.

5. We don't care about 3D camera. Is 3D tv doing so well? Is 3D cameras doing so well? No. So, why do we need 3D camera on a tablet?

2. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Isn't the WiFi Xoom priced comparably to an equal-storage iPad? And the Playbook is going to be the same price as the 16GB iPad.

3. HarryKeogh macrumors 6502a

With the iPad, Apple, for one of the first times, managed to get killer design with a great price.

When the iPad is on a display next to a Galaxy Tab or a Xoom the average consumer is going to see a thicker tablet with a higher price and they'll buy an iPad.

I think when the first true iPad competitors come on the scene iPad will have a two-year head start.

4. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

I don't know about the technical feasibility, but some company needs to release software or a tablet with the software built in that allows devs to quickly and easily port their apps to the format of the tablet.

Heck, there may actually be something like that already, but if there isn't, itd be a great way to attempt to piggyback on the success of the app store.

5. profets macrumors 68040

6. admanimal macrumors 68040

7. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

None of the hardware matters as long as other tablet OSs lag so far behind iOS.

8. profets macrumors 68040

Says what all? They're launching June 8th with competitive specs and pricing. Hey, I'm not taking it over an iPad2, but these competitors are apparently learning.

9. profets macrumors 68040

With Android 3.0 designed primarily for tablet use you could argue the reverse.

10. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Going to go out on a limb here and say the iPad will be to the tablet market as the iPod is to the MP3 player market.

It set the standard, and even though others exist, they are nothing more than noise. Others will not come close to matching Apples iPad market share, ever.

iPad will be THE tablet exactly how iPod is THE music player.

11. Carouser macrumors 65816

Launching two months from now after Apple has gobbled up tons of sales. Nobody's waiting for this thing. "I'm not taking it over an iPad2" says it all.

That's not going out on a limb, that's sitting in the shade of the tree with a glass of lemonade. It's already happened.

12. profets macrumors 68040

Well yeah, I never said these guys are going to outsell the iPad, I'm just saying that there is competition coming, and they're starting to get it with features and prices.

13. Tones2 macrumors 65816

Nah. Unlike the music player market, the tablet market is ultimately going to be all about the software. And Google is a formidable opponent. They will catch up same way as they have for smart phones. It's just that Apple got a huge headstart.

Tony

14. Carouser macrumors 65816

By giving it away for free and bundling it on cheap hardware?

15. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

New users are the future of tablet computing. People already inside the Apple ecosystem rarely leave.

When an Android device, or any tablet device, can seamlessly interface with a new user's music and photo collections, let them rent movies, buy books, play games and install apps, via one application on their computer with one user account, and do it right out of the box, it will become a contender.

Until then, iPad and iOS will continue to dominate. And the longer it dominates, the better chances that Mac OS will also inch towards a larger market share, bolstering the iPad/iOS dominance.

Apple is selling you a big tent, with 100 guide wires and 100 grounding stakes embedded in rock, firmly supporting it. The other tablet makers are currently selling you a piece of cloth draped over a single pole stuck in the topsoil. They can tout super space age cloth and a titanium pole, but it's still just a pole with a cloth over it. It will blow over.

If you want to see how the tablet market will play out, just take a look at the iPod.

16. profets macrumors 68040

I completely agree with you. My only thought - strictly related to tablets & software was that it would be nice to make more use of the real estate we have on a 10" tablet. I'm not too worried about widgets or other things on a phone, but it is interesting seeing them on a tablet. I'm sure Apple will design something different for it eventually.

17. hcho3 thread starter macrumors 68030

Yes, they are same priced? okay. Are they same value? No.

Do they offer apple store that I can go to exchange my product? No.
    Do they offer staffs somewhere that I can go to ask questions? No.
    Do they offer enough apps to satisfy my needs? No.
    Will these tablets get a software update that will be guaranteed? No.

18. profets macrumors 68040

Same value and apps to satisfy needs are completely personal opinions.

Maybe for some the Android OS is a higher value than iOS?
    Maybe some people don't need access to all those apps?
    Maybe some people don't live close to an Apple store anyway?
    Maybe some people can get help with their device from large online communities?

19. itsmeoreo macrumors member

That's why some will root their device so they can get updates.

I, personally, like to jailbreak my apple products so I can customize it the way i want and not the way apple tells me to. Quicklock is one of my fav jailbreak apps after the power/lock button jammed on my 3rd gen touch. i put it on my 3gs and my gf's ipad as well in case those buttons jam too.

20. iRabbit macrumors 6502

I actually think this will happen too if the competition doesn't catch up, and catch up QUICK.

21. admanimal macrumors 68040

It says we have no idea how well the thing will actually run or what the battery life will be.

22. cecoleman macrumors regular

The only real chance they have of even being relavent is to offer prices way cheaper than Apple. They need these same devices to come below $400 to make a dent. So basically take a loss to get some market share, if people like your stuff they will buy the next version for more money.

23. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

I'm unconvinced.

24. KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

It's interesting how cocky people are with the iPad. First off, none of us has anything to do with Apple other than giving them our money so why the arrogance? But more importantly, despite the iPad 2 name, this is still Round 1. Android has done pretty well on phones despite coming in late so why is it assumed that they won't be a threat on an even newer platform like Tablets? It's far from being too late for anyone.

I could easily see people I know choosing an Android device eventually. And it's incredibly silly for anyone to count out WebOS now that they've got HP pushing them across their entire product line.

25. profets, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011

profets macrumors 68040

Well, no one should be convinced one way or the other until actually using both devices in person.

Just by looking at android 3.0 and how they make use of live widgets and other options with a tablet size screen seems interesting at least. This doesn't necessarily make one tablet better than another, but its something important to look at, especially when iOS remains as a simple grid of icons, even on a 10" screen.