Dear Mr Cook

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by sistagirl, Oct 2, 2013.

1. sistagirl macrumors newbie

I have first hand expeienced how flawed how Ios7 is.

My 16 year old brother registered his iPhone 5 with a misspelled email address.
    instead of his apple id which is h******7@hotmail.com his phone registered with h******97@hotmail.vom

First of all how is that even possible?

secondly he reseted the phone and now ios7 asks for password for the nonexistent .vom address.

He went to a genius and he was told there was nothing they could do.

How on earth is there a system in place which locks phone without a failsafe?

Remember his real apple-id is still working and he can log on it but how is he suppose to create a .vom address?

Regards,

Sistagirl

Just wanted to share a message I just sent!

Grateful if anyone could share any solution to this problem!

2. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

are you talking about registration of the device or iCloud ?
    Who cares about registration, warranty is with the device not the owner.

3. sistagirl thread starter macrumors newbie

When you have restored the phone you get, the language meny then location meny and then you are asked to log into your wifi(in which ever order).

Then you come to "active iPhone" and it says.

"This iPhine is currently linked to an apple ID (h******@hotmail.vom). Sign in with the apple ID that was used to set up this iphone"..

And it's not his apple id which is hotmail.com... Now with out logging in you cannot use the phone!..

What gives?

4. sistagirl thread starter macrumors newbie

I am referring to this screen!

Attached Files:

5. gglittle macrumors regular

Really? In your infinite gaul you expect Tim Cook to respond?

Connect the phone using the USB cable and restore the phone. If needed kick it into DFU mode and restore iOS. Then, be vewy vewy karephul wut u type ...

6. sistagirl thread starter macrumors newbie

Itunes ask for the same thing no matter what you they ask for the hotmail.vom email address!

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

What happens if the ".vom" version of the Apple ID is used with the password from the the usual Apple ID? What happens if the right email address associated with Apple ID is used with its password?

What about going to manage the Apple ID at http://appleid.apple.com and checking various email addresses and other information associated with it?

8. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

what happens if he uses the "misspelled" apple id with the correct password just to get his phone activated?

the apple ID can always be changed later.

9. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

How was he able to register it the first time using the .vom address since he would also need the password and then its verified with Apple Servers ...

Not possible at all ! Screenshot it otherwise this is bull

10. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

This is your best bet.

Oh- and Tim Cook doesn't read these forums. I'm sure some Apple employees do, but I highly doubt he is one of them.

11. sistagirl thread starter macrumors newbie

I do not know how its possible he registered this misspelled address. I Have unsuccessfully tried the misspelled email plus the right password.

I would not dare to speculate what Cook reads or not just wanted to share an email I sent. was frustrated with the genius and lack of failsafe from apple's part. at least they ought to have a system in place for this incident.

12. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

if the screen reads: "this iphone is currently linked to an apple ID (XXX) then that is the apple ID it will accept. regardless of misspellings.

your brother might have misspelled his password as well.

there is no "failsafe" for this because if there were, it would make it easier for stolen phones from being activated.

13. sistagirl thread starter macrumors newbie

How about they have a failsafe in the store and you take your proof of purchase to them and they unlock it.

14. mactumors macrumors 6502

I would go back to the Genius Bar or call AppleCare. They should swap it for you. It should never have been possible to use that Apple ID on the device, since it would have been impossible to respond to a verification email. That's Apple's fault. If Apple is allowing you to use an unverified email to lock your phone, then again it's Apple's fault.

Unrelated: I just have to point out the irony. You spelled your email address wrong and it bricked your phone. And then you come here and write a post about it with gigantic spelling errors.

15. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

I like your username.

16. sistagirl, Oct 2, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013

sistagirl thread starter macrumors newbie

Here is a photo I took of the screen

Attached Files:

17. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

have you tried this?

take your proof of purchase and explain it to them. best if you take it to the store you bought it from and ask to speak to the manager.

18. Spacial macrumors 6502

Yes it's a great username. Especially with this new rather bizarre version called iOS 7. I've upgraded to every iOS Apple has created, none have been as buggy as this rev. I'd sure like to see Apple get back on track. Suing the competition did nothing to benefit Apple except ruin their Karma.

19. sistagirl thread starter macrumors newbie

I did not brick it but my baby brother did.

Nevertheless I am thank for the first part of the reply.

Secondly I do not know why my third language is an issue here. as long as I am understood and got my point across I am grateful. It's not like I live in a english speaking country use English daily.

----------

No I did not the 16 year old did while I was at work. I am giving it a try during the weekend and see if I get anywhere with them...

20. mactumors macrumors 6502

This is actually a pretty serious bug. Could make for some epic pranks. I'm tempted to set up a friend's phone with a fake Apple ID and then wipe it. Gosh I wish I had friends.

----------

Thanks babe. I like your forbidden fruit. We should get drinks sometime.

21. Syndicate0017 macrumors 6502

Dear Mr Cook

Maybe this won't work but what about the possibility of setting up an email alias that forwards mail sent to the nonexistent .vom address to your real hotmail address?

If you received the apple email, you could then reset the password and login to remove the activation lock.

22. sistagirl thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah but how do I find a hotmail.vom adress to set up?

23. mactumors macrumors 6502

You are correct. This will not work.

24. Syndicate0017 macrumors 6502

You wouldn't set up a real hotmail.vom account, just use that as a send/receive alias. I know you can set up virtual domain names and send mail using those. I believe you should be able to do this as well.

----------

Unfortunate...perhaps you could explain why this wouldn't be a possibility in greater detail? Just thought I'd throw something against the wall. :p

25. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Doesn't work.

If you do a standard restore it makes you turn it off first. DFU doesn't but you have to put in this info

My question is, how does he not know password or security questions for password reset.

----------

No they won't. It's not a hardware issue. Plus they will not do any service on an activated lock phone.its part of how they make sure they are swapping etc for the legal owner.

You can call apple care to try to get help with the password but that's it