Dear Mr. Jobs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aco905, Sep 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aco905 macrumors newbie

on June 29th, I stood in line for 7 hours, in West Texas where in was 90+ degrees. My wife thought ( and still does ) I was an idiot. We all sat sweating in the sun like a bunch of kids on Christmas eve. Then I dropped the $600 I'd been saving in my piggybank ( hiding place ) on a brand new piece of history. I was so impressed with this phone esthetics, and the quality packaging. Then, one day I had to call tech support. I must tell you, I have never been treated so well by a company before.
    Now my little iPhone ( Apple ) fantasy is starting to unraveled. Why oh why would you purposely deny me the right to make MY iphone experience a little more pleasant by not allowing me to use any song in my arsenal as a dang ringtone. Every other phone I have owned would allowing me to do this, and for free. I don't want to hear marimba, or a dog bark, or even a boing everytime my phone rings. The choices are ok, but my tastes vary from time to time. And the million or so of us supporting you are not clones or mindless idiots. We all are different. And to that end, I suggest, we might just want to personalize our $600 baby to our own individual liking. Enough with trying to earn a lousy buck on a ringtone. Please look at it from our perspective and why we support apple with faith and our money. Sometimes a ringtone is just a ringtone, and not another way to squeeze a few bucks out of my paycheck. Seriously, sir give us a break and let us enjoy our iPhone in our own individual way.
    Thank you,
    A loyal Apple supporter

2. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

seriously, stop posting nonsense you know nothing about. Read other threads first. You're not the first to complain of this. Everyone is. There are many solutions to get the songs you want on your iPhone without using iTunes. Also, understand that phone companies that make this possible have little to no allegiance with the music companies. Apple does. Think! why are only 500k songs have the ability to be turned in to ringtones? You Apple was like, "well, we'll just make a few right now". No, its the music companies, who, is he was to "upset" would lose or complicate their business even more than it already is (continuous price negotiations and so on). I do not think Mr. Jobs would like to jeopardize that for .99 cent ringtones.
    I understand your reasons, but search before you do a post. There are many threads and many theories as to why it is the way it is.
    Now, google "makeiphoneringtone" or "iToner" and you'll have all the music you want as a ringtone.
    p.s. nobody twisted your arm to stand in line for 7 hours. I understand it shows you're "loyalty" or whatever you want to call it, but searching for an answer before complaining about the question are two different things.

3. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

this post fails the logic test.

Either customizing your iPhone with ringtones is no big deal in which case there is no point in posting, or it is the big deal you make it out to be, in which case $0.99 for the pleasure for something so important to you is a trivial cost.

So what is it?

Not important -- no need to post at all.

Important -- buck up and pay the fricken dollar.

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

if you didn't have a problem shelling out $600 + tax on the phone you love so much, what's another $15 for a nice little program that will let you sync ringtones to your heart's delight?

5. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

There's also the $100 Mr. Jobs just gave you to buy ringtones with if you wish.

6. aco905 thread starter macrumors newbie

you've got to be kidding

I think I'll post whatever I want to "put up". Oh, and nice propoganda. If you honestly think its ok for a company to rape you for such ridiculous things as a ringtone. You are idiots. You prove the mentality jobs is betting on! This country wasn't built by sheep like you, but by people standing up for themselves and others. Your comments are arrogant and rude. Thanks. I"ll bet you are the jewel of you social circles. Take a look at yourselves before you damn another person who you don't know anything about. I do have "custom" ringtones, but that's NOT the point and you know that. The actions of deliberatly blocking the average users attemts are. Your intelligence is gleaming through your clever remarks. Nothing but propoganda. Shovel that load of bull somewhere else. I'm truly dissapointed.

7. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

Maybe I just don't consider paying a buck for a ringtone to be the same thing as being violently forced to have sex against my will.

The fact that you do is a little disturbing.

8. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Oh what's that smell....... ah I know! It is the mirky smell of a TROLL! Seriously, you knew the fact that Apple wouldn't provide free ringtone services. Well before the release. You still bought it( and stood in line for it which you accuse us of being sheep). Meaning you didn't have a problem with it. But, if it seriously bothers you, simply cancel the contract( and pay the $175 cancellation fee) and sell the iPhone( though at a huge loss with it's $200 pricecut).

As people said, if you can shove out $600 for a phone, $.99 is pretty trivial. I bet you would be one of those people who would about buy a Bentley and complain about it getting 12 MPG with gas being $3+/ gallon. Well, you could afford a Bentley, you should be able to afford the gas. Same with the iPhone, you paid $600 for it, you should be able to pay $.99 for the ringtones. Unless again you're like others who save every penny for a BMW, Corvette, etc, but can't afford to properly maintain those vehicles and other costs that go along with those types of vehicles. We're not sheep, we're just realistic.

PS: I didn't find the other posts being rude or arrogant. They simply told you the truth. Yeah, we all know the truth hurts. There are dozens of threads just like this one. Containing all the same crap you posted. At least it's better then people making threads about, " When will the iPod be updated? Should I wait?" right after new iPods were released. :rolleyes:

9. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

1.You'll post whatever you want to "put up"? Really? You read the guidelines on what to post up? You probably should, cause insulting people is against them. This isn't Nam! There are rules!

2. We all know that this country wasn't built by sheep. But it wasn't built by just Americans. If it wasn't for the French there would be no USA. History books are a good thing to read once in a while. P.S. they had no ties to standing up for anything, just knocking down a power that they have been feuding with for centuries in hopes to gain economical benefit.
    Also, comparing standing up for free ringtones to the building on an independent country. Kind of over board.

3. Yes, I am the jewel of my social circle. Graduated college with honors and was the president of my fraternity. Pretty proud of myself by the way, and I chuckle at your statements insulting my social standing.

4. Take a look at ourselves before we damn you? Um, pretty sure half your post was damning or insulting, so I'm kind of confused about the double standard, but that's cool.

5. Yes, the actions are deliberately blocking the "average" user from getting ring-tones on their phone without paying for them. To think the music industry isn't behind this I suggest you google it still. You know the ring-tone market is projected to reach 7 billion dollars by 2010? Probably not, but it is, and that's a fact. Why wouldn't companies want to capitalize that. Besides, while some phones let you make your own Apple is still charging $0.50 less than t-mobile and sprint for mp3 ring-tone downloads AND you get to preview and customize them anyway you want. Also, if you purchased from the Apple iTunes store, you get them, if they are qualified for only $0.99.

6. Our intelligence shines brightly against your ignoramus remarks and insults. So thank you.

7. Also, do you know the meaning of propaganda? Well here it is: derogatory information, esp. of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view"

I'm pretty sure that everyone wants free ring-tones. Who doesn't want something for free. But the fact of the matter is it is still up in the air on a legal stand point between the Music industry, phone companies, RIAA, Apple and more.

One point you missed is that there is a dispute between everyone about it being a "public performance" and different from us owning the song.

The good point is the RIAA has argued that they are NOT public performances, and the US Copyright Office agrees with them on this.
    But its more complicated than that. There many grey areas that are still being worked out. So rather than waiting years until it is worked out and not giving us ring-tones at all, he did.

10. sananda macrumors 68020

stand down.

i think you need to direct your obvious anger towards to the record companies not apple or the members here.

11. iNikon macrumors member

She may not be the only one thinking that...

A piece of history? Are you for real? It's a phone!!!

Your "arsenal"? LOL! You can't be for real. No way. No. Way.

Have you considered counseling?

And you're the guy that waited in line for hours to pay $600 for a phone, so you can live your "Apple fantasies".

You should take the advice of your wife.

12. sananda macrumors 68020

oh, he might be for real. i notice a lot of gun imagery around here. a huge amount of people claim to be be "about to pull the trigger" on something meaning they are about to buy something. seems as strange as having an arsenal of music to me!!

13. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

I don't remember all the phones i ever bought allowing me to do this. Actually only a few have. Most left me use crappy midi tunes for ringtones but very very few would let me use an MP3 as a ringtone.

14. Gilfanon macrumors member

Gilfanon

Seconded. I really don't understand the tendency for idiots on internet forums to compare something utterly trivial with a horrendously vicious and brutal crime. It's a dollar for god's sake, and the option to pay it is entirely yours. Try to retain some bloody perspective.

15. sananda macrumors 68020

well even his wife think he's an idiot so he's not likely to be the full ticket.

16. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

This thread has been closed due to excessive flaming. Exits are to the left and right of the plane.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.