Death at a Virginia College (JMU)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by zblaxberg, Aug 31, 2007.

?

How safe do you think college campuses are?

1. Very Safe

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Somewhat Safe

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Not Safe at All

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

So I woke up today and checked my email as usual and I see an urgent jmu email from the Harrisonburg police department stating this:

JMU CASE 2007-007484
    TIMELY NOTIFICATION BULLETIN
    "Your Right to Know"
    August 30, 2007
    INCIDENT: An Unattended Death (Ongoing Investigation - No risk to the community.)
    LOCATION: James Madison University’s Rockingham Hall, 605 Port Republic Road.
    TIME: Incident was reported at approximately 4:30 PM, August 30, 2007.
    In compliance with the "Timely Notice" provisions of the federal Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act of 1998 the University Police are giving notice of an unattended death at Rockingham Hall on the campus of James Madison University.
    The medical examiner has not released the cause of death pending an autopsy. The Virginia State Police, the Harrisonburg Police Department and the James Madison University Police Department are currently investigating the death and there is no risk to the community. Identity of the victim is not being released at this time pending family notifications.
    If you have any information that might be helpful in this investigation, contact the University Police by telephone at (540)568-6911; in person at Anthony Seeger Hall, West Grace and South Main; by e-mail publicsafety@jmu.edu, or, if you wish, anonymously through “Silent Witness,” at: http://www.jmu.edu/pubsafety/SilentWitness.shtml.
    Thank you.

Just a little scary considering I live about a 10 minute walk away from that dorm. There is a rumor going around school that it was a suicide. Just wanted to share that and hear your thoughts and opinions.

2. zblaxberg thread starter Guest

zblaxberg

Just found out that two instances happened last night. 2 Guys on bikes were racing down a hill and crashed into a girl which in turn sent her flying and she was taken away in an ambulance. Apparently the murder was a suicide. I'm surprised no one has responded to this thread yet because it is a very serious subject at this point in time. My condolences to whoever was injured last night was well as to family members.

3. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I don't know what do vote for, but I'm worried, my sister goes to JMU...

4. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I think it really depends on the school.

Somewhere like Bates in the middle of nowhere in the middle of nowhere in Maine is pretty safe.

Somewhere like Trinity College in Hartford isn't nearly as safe with the ghetto surrounding it. Last year some locals crashed a college party and someone ended up getting stabbed.

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Sounds like nothing out of the ordinary...deaths occur on college campuses quite frequently, and this one was labeled "no risk to the community."

But yes, campus safety certainly varies quite a bit based on location. JMU is pretty darn safe, but things can happen anywhere at any time.

6. tartsquid macrumors regular

tartsquid

Honestly, I think college campuses are as safe as any other place, there's just a little more carelessness amongst students.