Death grip and Microcell

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Goodeye, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Goodeye macrumors 6502a

Goodeye

I live in a fringe area and ordered a Microcell a couple weeks ago before getting my iPhone 4 so I wouldn't have to walk onto my porch just to make calls.

It came today and is set up and I noticed that the death grip doesn't seem to be effective while I'm on a Microcell, while at work and on normal 3G it does.

Maybe this is a software thing as Apple has hinted that it might be, and if your already not getting "perfect 5 bars" that it reads into the attenuation more? Just a guess but seriously while on the Microcell I can hold the phone tightly around the left seam and nothing doesn't drop a single bar.

Anyone else with one getting the same thing?

2. Goodeye thread starter macrumors 6502a

Goodeye

No matter what I do while on Microcell I CAN'T replicate the death grip. The thing is supposed to give 5 bars for a 5000 sq ft radius. I have probably gone out to almost that still had 5 bars and can't do it. Calls sound amazing still (unlike my calls before the microcell due to crappy coverage)

3. Drusso macrumors member

Yep, I can not recreate this issue when on my Microcell either.

4. mbob macrumors member

I just got a Microcell today myself. I have it installed in my up stairs office. While out in my back yard having a cigar I noticed on my 3GS had 5 bars no matter where I went and did. But then I called a friend and noticed it dropped to 3. Once I got off the phone it picked back up to 5.

I guess what I am getting at is try your iPhone 4 while on a call and see what happens.

5. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I think the consensus is that, when you're on a nice strong signal, the death grip does not work. When on a signal that's weaker, the death grip works all too well.

I've found this to be the case. In one location I can't get it to budge off of 5 solid bars. About five miles away, inside a building with thick walls, it stays at 5 bars but the death grip sends it down to one or none.

6. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

i was thinking about getting the microcell, i know there is a plan but how does it work, what is the plan

7. dagomike macrumors 65816

8. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

And yet I still only get 1 bar in my basement (I have a microcell in my house)

9. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

microcell costs $150, and it is a one time fee
    there is also a plan available that gives you unlimited talk while on your microcell, but it is not required to have the microcell.

10. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

so i can buy one and just use to boost signal in my house without paying for a plan, thats pretty cool

11. dorlando macrumors newbie

I have been using a Microcell with a 3GS and had no issues at all. With the iPhone 4 I get the 5 bars still but have actually dropped more calls lately and had a few with horrible echo in them. Yet, the signal still shows 5 bars. I cannot replicate the death grip with the Microcell either. It's strange... I am beginning to think the whole reception issue is more than just the death grip. As we can see from todays findings from Anandtech, the death grip does affect all phone models tested.

With that said, and as others have suggested, it does appear that there is more going on with the reception issues than just the grip. I am hopeful an update will straighten more of these issues out.

12. corduroy73 macrumors member

What do you consider a "nice strong signal" because I could consistently take my i4 at 5 bars to 1 or zero bars using the death grip. Data rates dropped to near nothing. No microcell, 1750ft from a att tower.

13. AbSoluTc macrumors 601

AbSoluTc

I have a Microcell and holding my phone like I am "not suppose too", my full 5 bars, goes to NO SERVICE. My Microcell is about 35 feet away.

Would love to hear an explanation on that :)

14. clg82 macrumors 6502

I'm missing the point of this thread....and i"m NOT saying that to be rude....but why should i have to buy a microcell just to be able to make and receive calls while holding my phone lol! Does this in fact prove that it is a hardware issue or software issue?:confused:

15. damesJ macrumors member

Death grip might affect your phone but not in a way most people are experience it. The way apple displays signal strength is kind of misleading so you don't see it.

This is how apple breaks down each bar measuring dBm (signal strength)

1st bar (weakest signal): -113 to -108 dBm
    2nd bar: -107 to -104 dBm
    3rd bar: -103 to -100 dBM
    4th bar: -99 to -92 dBm
    5th bar (strongest signal): -91 to -51 dBm

As you can see the 5th bar represent over 50% of the spectrum. It's been calculated that death grip drops signal strength about 24 dBm (worst case scenario)

Seeing how you have a microcell lets assume you have the strongest signal strength at -51 dBm (full 5 bars). Do the death drop your signal drops down to -75 dBm. You would still have 5 bars and would make you believe that your not affected by the death grip.

Now Lets say someone had 4 bars at -92 dBm. Do the death grip again, your signal would be at -116 dBm. You just lost all 4 bars like that.

16. mbob macrumors member

Awesome post! Thanks

17. Goodeye thread starter macrumors 6502a

Goodeye

You don't have to. I certainly didn't just for the iPhone 4 I bought it online weeks ago before getting my iPhone 4 It just now came today. I live in a fringe area. Anyone familiar with AT&T service in the Queen Creek of AZ knows what I'm talking about. Not only that I didn't buy it I argued with AT&T support till they gave it to me for free. I shouldn't have to pay to fix their shortcomings as a carrier

It just happens for me (and apparently a few other BUT not all that the death grip has no effect when on the Microcell.