Death grip mysteriously gone!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by applekiwipeach, Aug 25, 2010.

1. applekiwipeach macrumors member

When I go my new phone, I tested the famous "death grip", and the signal dropped from 5 bars to 1 in no time (though I could never replicate a complete signal loss). So I got some invisible shield for the sides and problem solved.

2-3 days ago, I received my free case, peeled the side shields off and before putting on the new case, I thought to test for death grip again just for the hack of it... Guess what?! I could not make it drop ONE bar!!! :eek: :D I did the tests at home both times!!!

I guess it must have been fixed in the two software updates and the several network resets it's gone through! :rolleyes::D

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

AT&T (or your local carrier) must have updated their towers. You're on a cell band that isn't effected by the "death grip" and that's why it isn't showing up anymore.

3. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

There was never an issue in the first place. You must have been imagining things or on something at the time when you first thought you had it.

Good to hear though that it's gone for you!

4. iMikeT macrumors 68020

I noticed that this has been a problem with the network as I get poor service when I had my iPhone 4 at home. I did the infamous death grip during calls and the call would just drop. I then would take my iPhone 4 out of my area to an area with better service and tried the death grip and had absolutely no problems with service.

I complained countless times to AT&T about the issue where I live and they gave the usual troubleshooting bs and of course would tell me that the towers in my area are "scheduled for upgrades soon" by the end of the call. I asked if they would do anything to help me get better service at home, for example give me a 3g microcell, and they suggested that I fork over $150 for the device or I could just wait until the towers get upgraded.

Bottom line, the reception does drop in poor service areas and if you notice that the reception has gotten better it's probably because AT&T recently upgraded the towers.

5. applekiwipeach thread starter macrumors member

i hope you are joking...

6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Uh huh, and pigs fly, too.

7. applekiwipeach thread starter macrumors member

I see. AT&T always has very strong signal in my area of living. The first time I tested the phone, the bars did drop ridiculously in less than half a minute from a solid five bar though. A few days ago, I did the test in the same room and only 1 bar dropped in like a minute - which is really normal. I guess if nobody else experienced this improvement, it must be the AT&T tower around me being inconsistent, or improved (preferably). :cool: