Death of Camera Roll?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrockm01, Sep 14, 2011.

1. mrockm01 macrumors regular

mrockm01

To my understanding, Apple will back up photos taken on an iOS device from the last 30 days up to iCloud. What happens to the rest? Can they still be backed up directly to iTunes in the camera roll? I have taken a lot of photos with my iPhone over the years and keep them all in the camera roll because it is easier to manage. I have them on iPhoto, but it would be a pain to try and find them all to put back on. What have you beta testers been experiencing?

2. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Camera Roll is still there.
    Haven't seen anything disappear yet.

3. charliecc macrumors regular

Think of iCloud as an optional extra. It takes nothing away from how you use you phone now. I only have 1 iDevice and therefore no real need for iCloud, so I have it completely turned off.

4. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Just curious, why would you completely turn it off? It backs up your iPhone (SMS, App layout, Contacts, etc...). Even if you only have one iOS device, if anything goes wrong (like the device crashes), you could still back up important info from the Cloud.

5. charliecc macrumors regular

My contacts are the main things I'm worried about and they auto sync with google anyway. I'm on my laptop quite a bit so backup my phone when required. I don't need my phone taking up bandwidth resources (possibly when I'm not on wi-fi) syncing stuff willy nilly.

Call me old fashioned, but the less of my data that is stored on a "secure" remote machine the better. Having said that, I might activate it for photos, won't harm to have them pushed when they're taken in case I lose my phone before I back them up.

Also, Apple have me tied in to their ecosystem enough already with all the apps I've purchased. If I'm ever going to leave the less involved I am the better.

6. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Gotcha. I was just curious if iCloud didn't work well or something.