Death of Hacking?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zifnab06, Oct 16, 2008.

1. zifnab06 macrumors newbie

Just a thought I had a while ago.

Doesn't it seem like all the popular people are not really realeasing anything new for the ipod touches/iphones? I know that the new iphone hasn't been unlocked yet, the new itouch not even jailbroken. But, it seems to me, that there hasn't been much progress. What I've noticed over time is that most of my favorite sites to visit about news, including the iphone dev's blog, geohot, and zibri (i know he stole code, but I find it amusing still...) have been blank. Nothing new posted in a while. The iPhone Dev Team did talk a little bit about what they are working on. I guess a few things would be nice, for those of us who would like to help in one way or another. Keep us updated. Try to tell us what is going on as it is going on. I'd like to learn more about the iphone unlocking process, but yet i'm restricted to what has been put out on the internet. Information would be nice. Not anything large, but just an update now and then. And maybe some new stuff. It seems like the iPhone/iTouch hacking community has died, and maybe they just need a little help. Either way, just a little info would be nice.

2. acvball92 macrumors regular

acvball92

I agree in some way. Everyone wants a little info, but I think none of the hacking teams want to make promises that they can't complete without them being 100% sure there is a way to unlock the iPhone 3G. I'm pretty sure that all of them are working really hard to do so, but I don't think it's the number one thing on their mind right now. :)

3. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Gotta disagree. I think hacking/modding is alive and well. People have been predicting the "death" of hacking (or the invention of "hack proof" systems since...well...since nearly the birth of the computing age. Zod is currently very active in programming new and better apps (games) for the iPhone. I think things are cyclical as well. Right now you might see us in a slight downturn but I will bet anything things will be hopping again before you know it. The iPhone is always ripe for hacking and development. And when the new iPhone comes out...look out!

And its iPod touch. Not iTouch. :eek:

4. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

Hacking is bigger than it was before with fw1.x.x, there are new apps that were never on the old iphones, just because they are working hard doesnt mean its dead, as long as the iphone remains popular there will always be jailbreak

5. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

There is still plenty of activity on MMi and other sites that cater to the hacking community. As long as there is the mantra from Apple about not being running apps in the background, for example, and changing the GUI/interface, the iPhone modding community will stay 'alive'.

That being said, many of the developers that were working on the J/B apps, are now working to make a buck on the App Store. Which I don't blame them for at all.

Also....putting out too much info on what the dev team (and others in the J/B community) are doing, is only asking for that opportunity to 'close' on the next release of firmware from Apple. Like Steve said, it's a cat and mouse game.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Also in terms of recent results, QuickPwn is very new, still. And there have been significant advances in tethering, for instance, very recently.