Death of my Mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Adrianus, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Adrianus macrumors member

Yesterday the screen on my 8 year old iBook G4 spazzed and died. It did this as it approached the end of its battery life instead of going to sleep.

My main concern is whether this was to do with software or hardware. I have been using this computer for many years, and chances are I could have encountered one of the rare Mac viruses.

However, it could just be the screen, as a year back it fell and there was a crack between the plastic at the bottom and the screen.

I know there are sites where I could buy a new screen and try to install it myself. But I would like to know if there's any way to tell whether the problem is the screen or the software.

It still makes the booting sound when I turn it on, but I don't even get the screen backlight turning on.

Would an Apple Store be able to help me?

Thanks guys.

2. unixfool macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Try another monitor? You should be able to export the video to another screen, although I've no experience with an iBook. I did this with my Toshiba and isolated an issue with the backlighting.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yes, the Apple Store would be able to tell you

But in all likelihood it is the screen
    There is virtually no chance this a Mac virus of any kind

4. Adrianus thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I am going to try and get my hands on the VGA cable as soon as possible.
    Here's an update though:
    I turned it on (pressed power button and heard the boot sound) and left it for a while. After this, the sleep light did turn on, and the screen back light was on.
    Just the backlight, nothing else.
    When I did anything it just turned off.
    But this could indicate there is something wrong with the software, as the light works but it doesn't turn on when I boot it up.