Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2009
I was just browsing the Mac App Store and noticed that DeathSpank was released today for $10. I've been kind of interested in this game since it was released, and noticed it is also available on Steam for Mac as well, but for $15. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is any difference between the two versions (other than price)?

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/deathspank/id445032183?mt=12

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2009
Nothing, same game.

You missed this on the top of the listing:

Thanks for the reply. I didn't miss that it was a sale price, but didn't think it had any bearing on my question whether or not the gameplay was different.

Hansr

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2007
Thanks for the reply. I didn't miss that it was a sale price, but didn't think it had any bearing on my question whether or not the gameplay was different.

I inferred you though they might be different because it was cheaper on the App Store.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
The Steam version has SteamPlay (you get the windows version for free) Steam Achievements, and cloud support.

deadwulfe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
It works a lot better than it used to.

You used to have to be online to go into offline mode. A month ago, I found out on the Mac side that you don't need to be online to go into offline mode. You can be off the internet and go into offline mode.

Just now, I tried it on Windows, and to my surprise, you don't need to be online in Windows to go into offline mode, either. You can be off the internet and start up in offline mode. I even launched a game to make sure it wasn't just a tease.

Good stuff indeed.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Never had issues with playing it with Steam in offline mode.

Ok, I stand corrected, but earlier offline mode was really not working at all. You had to put it into offline mode when online, and If your net was away one night, you couldn't play your games. It happened to me several times, although more than a year ago.

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
I got it from MAS, have been wanting to play this game since it came out on 360. I really only chose MAS over Steam because I had a iTunes gift card. Super fun game, though, really enjoying it. That and Civ V keep my gaming interest enough. Just hoping for some newer games to get Mac support - especially Star Wars Old Republic!

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2009
Price has been lowered to $6.99 on the MAS! Not sure when it started, or when it will end but the description says, "LAUNCH SALE OVER 50% OFF PURCHASE PRICE FOR THE NEXT FEW HOURS ONLY!"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.