Deauthorising (all) computers in iTunes.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacUser09, Jul 25, 2015.

1. MacUser09 macrumors regular

Hi guys.

Several year ago, I gave an old iMac to an ex, and didn't deauthorise it.

With my current iMac, and MBP that gives me 3 out of 5 in use.

In iTunes, if I choose the option "Deauthorise all computers", will I have to re-download my whole library from the iTunes Store on re-authorising my current 2010 Mac where it is presently stored?

Or could I perhaps do a restore from Time Machine?

TIA

2. flynz4, Jul 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2015

flynz4 macrumors 68040

You should not lose your library. After you "deauthorize all computers", just reauthorize the one(s) you want.

At one time, I believe there was a time limit between successive deauthorization of computers. If I remember right, it was to limit people from effectively have too many computers sharing the same account. I am not sure if that restriction still exists.

/Jim

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Thanks... I thought it was 1 year, but I was not positive. Now with Family Sharing... it is easier to share across the family without hitting the 5 computer limit. All 4 of us in our family have an MBA & iMac. Now with family sharing, it is a lot easier to share purchases without the 5 computer limit. Now it is a 5 computers per individual iCloud account. Of the MAS apps that we have, the only one that disables Family Sharing is "Caffeine"... and that is a free App... go figure.

/Jim

5. MacUser09 thread starter macrumors regular