Deauthorizing a computer

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Evangelion, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Evangelion macrumors 68040

So, I got my new MacBook Pro few days ago. So I need to deauthorize my old Mac Mini from playing back my purchased iTunes-content. And it should be easy enough, right? But there are problems.

I deauthorized the Mini, and everything seemed to work. But when I checked my iTunes-account on the MBP, it says that there are two computers that are authorized to play back ITMS-content. I went back to the Mini, and it could not play back purchased content. So everything should be OK, right? But why does it think that there are two authorized computers, when there's really just one?

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

This Apple article covers some of the possibilities.

It's also possible for hardware upgrades to use up an auth slot if you don't deauth beforehand. Another Apple article discusses that case.

3. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

perhaps you authorized another computer (a friend, someone in your family?) and you're just forgetting.

if it really bothers you, you can reset all permissions in the iTS account pane by clicking "Deauthorize All Computers" (or something similar). this feature is only available to you once yearly, so if you've done it within the past year (like i have, which is why it doesn't show up in my account pane) you'll have to figure out another way to do it.

4. Evangelion thread starter macrumors 68040

I don't think so. But maybe in theory my work-laptop might somehow be authorized. I need to check.

It does bother me somewhat. But then again, tis isn't really a problem right now, since I still have authorizations to spare. But it's a good thing to know that I can deauthorize all computers should the need arise.