Debating.... 3G nano or 80GB classic

Discussion in 'iPod' started by berkleeboy210, Sep 14, 2007.

1. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

Ok, so I know this question has probably been asked quite a few times since these iPods were announced. But I'm having a real tough time deciding.

I own an 8GB iPhone already, my total collection of stuff in iTunes equals around 30gb.

I love the design and the form factor of the new nano but I just don't see what the point is of having another 8gb player around when I already have one on the iPhone.

I take the iPhone everywhere (obviously) but my plan was to get the Classic load everything onto it and leave it plugged into my iHome for @ home use, and just take it for long trips so I don't drain out my phones battery.

Anyone got any suggestions for me?

2. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

i have the same delimma. i love the new nano after seeing it in the store, but i already have an iphone with 8GB. buying another device with 8GB seems kinda silly. i expect i'll get an 80gb classic and use my $100 off. I mean, $149 for a 80gb ipod is a deal.

3. Shorties macrumors 6502a

I think you answered your own question, if you already have an 8GB iPhone and your entire library totals around 30GBs then I would totally go for the classic, its a bigger screen, it gives you more space and it will allow you to carry around what your iPhone does not. It sounds to me that your mostly attracted to the new look of the Nano, after that novelty wears off you will want something better.

4. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Same boat here. Have an 8gb iphone and was going to get the 160gb classic but ended up going for the 8gb black nano 3g. Why? Its so freakin cool. With the classic you get space but with the nano you get blown away. Besides, when do you ever listen to more than 8gb of music on the go?

5. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

The classic is cool, but except for space the Nano really kicks bottom ends. I was at the Apple store today to pick up Logic Studo and the new nanos caught my eye. I would hate to watch any video on them, but wow, they are really slick.

6. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

The new nano is very cool, but as I'll be getting an 8GB iPhone on release in the UK, there was really no point to getting the nano as much as I thought I could justify it. So I bought the 80GB classic.
    Unless you need it for the gym/running... in which case the 4GB would be fine. Unfortunately for me I hav a 1G nano, and couldn't justify it even by that logic (it's personalises, so not going anywhere)

7. swwack91 macrumors 6502a

agreed. unless you need a flash based player for extreme jumping/movement/running than i'd go for the 80GB....

atho... your iPhone is already flash based - and you end up having your cell phone w/ you too.

8. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I say go with the classic, you'll have room for your entire music collection and videos. I don't see that big of a point to the Nano if you have an iPhone already.

9. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I was able to stay level headed on the topic of iPhone + nano/classic. I ended up getting a 160GB Classic for sheer storage ($150, gotta love 2 iPhone credits!).

I wanted the 8GB nano SO bad but couldn't justify it. I have a LOT of video and it wouldn't do me ANY good in that department. But the 160GB Classic gives me a way to not only carry my entire music library with me, but also using Senuti, I can pull music from that iPod on the road and load it into my iPhone if necessary. It's just a 160GB portable hard drive with a headphone jack to me.

The Nano is wicked cool, don't get me wrong, but I went for sheer storage capacity over the temporary insanity of coolness.