Debating 64gb vs 256gb iPhone X

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KelVarnsen, Nov 7, 2017.

1. KelVarnsen macrumors newbie

I currently have a 64gb 6 and I'm going to get the 10.

I have 14gb in photos, 14gb in apps, 10gb in docs leaving me with 19gb free.

Should I go for the 256 since I may hold on to it for 2+ years again unless there is major changes?

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I would consider the 256 iPhone X. Mainly because it's better to have more storage than less. You wouldn't have to worry about having a limited amount when you need it most.

3. darthbane2k macrumors 6502a

There is no point in getting 256 and paying apples premium ‘just for the sake of it’, it totally depends on your use case. If you are fine with 64, stick with 64. If you use iCloud for photo and music storage then even more reason to stick with 64. If you want to use your phone like an iPod to store your entire music library and if you don’t like offloading photos and videos to your computer or the cloud then the highest storage would be best.

The fact is that Apple pulled a d**k move getting rid of the mid tier storage option so rather than be bullied into a decision , make sure you do what works for you in realistic terms.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 7, 2017 ---
    256 is still a ‘limited’ amount. It’s not unlimited.

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

We all know it's not unlimited, which really isn't the point. 19 GB is what would be limited based on what's remaining for the 64 GB Variant. Point is, is that 256 GB is considerably a lot more than 64 GB based on what the OP may or may not use. Hence why I suggested the higher storage to avoid being limited on what little storage may be remaining when the OP needs it most.

5. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68040

NovemberWhiskey

No one can decide for you. Take a look at your current usage, and see if you are over 64. If you are, you will probably need 256 unless you can dump a lot of stuff.

Also, if you use iCloud photo, you know you have to re-download photos each time you want to use them/view them in full res. They store low res photos on the phone to save space. With a 256, you will have more room to store the full res photos locally to save some time with the downloads. It doesn't sound like a hassle, but it is when you have to do it with every photo you want to use/see.

6. darthbane2k macrumors 6502a

Actually it’s scalable depending on how much free space you have. It pulls the most recent photos down for full res offline viewing based on how much storage it has to play with, so that’s not exactly true what you are saying.

7. KelVarnsen thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I usually buy the middle size option but didn't have that choice this time around.

I preordered the 64 but I'm having second thoughts now.

8. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

so you can expect app sizes will continue to grow. that alone will eat into that remaining space. However the X also records 4k video and it still takes considerable room... if you plan on using that feature you might want to consider the 256. this said space will get more and more constrained on your 64gb.

9. darthbane2k macrumors 6502a

Again this notion of if you record in 4K it won’t be enough with 64GB
    Like I said IF you have iCloud Photo Library then this isn’t an issue. If you have no cloud solution then I would say without a doubt 256 is a better option.

Everyone’s mileage will vary, but let’s not spread FUD unnecessarily

10. Vermifuge, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017

Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

OP broke down their usage. With no changes OP only has 19gb free. As I stated App size growth will eat into that 19GB pretty significantly

app-size-sensor-tower.png

If OP wants to maintain the same profile of apps and images and factoring in app size growth that 19 GB will probably dwindle to 15 or less by the mid point of next year. Just an off the cuff estimate. That is without adding NEW and apps or images. I added in the fact that movies will also consume more space IF they plan to use that feature. OP may or may not even care about that but I decided it was only helpful to include that metric to properly answer OPs queries.

Considering OP had dedicate 14 GB to images alone one might deduce OP is unlikely to use a cloud solution for video storage. And perhaps likes having video and images remain on the phone. We don't know that for sure but it's also a consideration.

The only FUD here is your instance that i'm referring to a clean 64gb environment. I never said 64 Gb wouldn't be enough. I was suggesting that 19 GB may not be enough because that's all that OP has remaining unless changes are made.

Just so OP knows the numbers, 1 min of 4k 60 FPS video on the iPhone 8/X will consume about 400 MB of space. Basically your 19GB would be consumed with about 45 min of recordings. unless obviously you decide to transfer them to your PC or upload them somewhere.

11. balaplus macrumors 6502

There is a £100 premium when you trade-up 128gb against a 32gb 7 plus (i.e. bigger storage retains a good portion of its value after 1 year)
    After 2 years, there appears to be no difference in trade-up value between different storages.
    Something you might want to factor-in?

12. KONVICTED Suspended

KONVICTED

I'm a heavy user, opted for 256 GB version, it's always good to have extra space.

13. darthbane2k macrumors 6502a

I think in summary based on the OPs use case, if you go down the iCloud route then 64 is fine. But be aware that this involves a monthly subscription cost.
    If not, 256 would be best. However everything on your X will work just fine either way, this notion that you won’t be able to record in 4K or even that your X will perform faster (stated in another thread) with 256GB is nonsense.

I wish people would stop saying it’s ‘only’ £150 more / $150 more. It’s a lot of money to some. That’s why personal use case is the only essential consideration.

14. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

At $10 for 1 TB over a year that's $120. In less than a year and a half time OP will have already spent more than the cost of the $150 difference between the 64 GB and the 256 GB. Further, your synopsis doesn't factor in any of the uncontrollable factors like app bloat or over all increased use of phone features that consume storage space.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

15. Revels macrumors member

I could probably cope for the next 2/3 years with 64GB. But I didn't want to have to start having to delete photos, uninstall apps just to scrap around for space.

So I went with the big boy!

16. balaplus macrumors 6502

Believe me, the ability to record your screen in ios 11 takes up more space than you can imagine!:)

17. haqsha23 macrumors 6502a

haqsha23

I have a 64gb with 40gb free still, but even so im considering upgrading to the 256. You never know if you'll need it, and its much easier to make that decision now rather than later.

18. ARSC macrumors 6502

19. darthbane2k macrumors 6502a

I’m not making an argument for either option, just presenting them. Some people like cloud because it serves across multiple devices, others prefer to use a single device as a main storage hub. I’m saying the decision should only be dictated by the OPs use case. Not yours, not mine.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 8, 2017 ---
    Ha ha!
    And there you have it . If you have no automatic means to offload your media then 256 is a no brainer

20. Techwatcher macrumors regular

Techwatcher

Go for the 64. Absolutely no need for 256 GB on a phone, especially under the assumption that you have cloud storage as well.

21. nasa25 macrumors 65816

I downgraded from 128 to 64gb

I just got rid of a bunch of garbage I never used and offloaded some other stuff I didn’t need.

19GB free on my 64 now. Apple tried to bait me with the 256. I didn’t bite.

The dick move to kill the 128gb storage option had me considering not even getting the X but in the end I caved
    Lol solid username

22. DiveKitty macrumors 6502

I got 256gb but only because I cancelled my preorder for a 64gb SG to switch to Silver, and by time I did, only 256gb was left for a November 2 ship date. I am coming from a 16gb 5s, use Google Photos for all my photos, and also have 1 TB on my OneDrive (Microsoft 365), mostly stream my music (Spotify) and movies (Netflix), and prefer to keep my phone relatively clean of the clutter of unused apps, etc. I prefer to use cloud storage so it is readily available on all my devices. I would be fine with 64gb. I probably would have got a 128gb if they had it though.

23. USC_Gamecock macrumors 6502

USC_Gamecock

If you can afford it go with the 256GB -- IMO. It's what I did as well.

24. SOLLERBOY macrumors 6502a

Remember the full 64GB isn't all usable as well, you need to factor in the OS. I am coming from a 16GB 6+ and decided on the 256. I could have probably lived with the 64GB but my 16GB is full and forever running out of space - I hardly have anything left on it and use iCloud photos etc. I constantly have issues updating iOS as there isn't enough space etc so I plumped for the big one so I never have to deal with that ever again.

I probably could have lived with the 64GB but I was considering going on holiday etc and how useful the extra space will be when I can't get near a network to upload to iCloud etc.