Debating a 13'' base MBP. Is it fast enough and how is it with Thunderbolt Display?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Star Nuts, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Star Nuts macrumors member

I'd upgrade to an SSD and add 8 GB of RAM. I purchased a 15'' MBP and sold my 2008 iMac. I kinda miss my iMac now and I'd like a bigger screen. I managed to talk my wife into letting me get a Thunderbolt Display if I downgrade to a 13'', since it'll save $500. I wouldn't mind the screen size loss when traveling, but I'm worried about the loss of speed over the next 4 years.

Is a 13'' MBP w/SSD + 8GB RAM fast enough to keep up with new OS updates and Aperture (the only heavy program I use) over the next 4 years? I'm just worried about lag and freezing. I'm also worried about lag on the Thunderbolt Display. I don't game on my Mac. Like i said, Aperture is where I notice my old iMac lag the most on ML and even on my 15'' MBP, which I haven't upgraded yet.

What do you think? I either stick with my 15'' MBP or I go 13'' with a Thunderbolt Display.

2. wolfpuppies3 macrumors 6502

My solution was

I have a mid 2012 13" MB Air (not Pro) with the 2 GHZ i7, 8GB RAM, 512 GB SSD and it screams. I am a photographer and use Photoshop and Lightroom daily. It is eight times faster than my 2010 MB Pro and four times faster than my 2011 11" MB Air. I use the 27" Apple monitor every day with my MB Pro, great photo editing real estate. I use the 13" MBA on the road (weight and size) and the MB Pro on the desk with the monitor.